Swollen feet.

Breed: weimarner
hey doctor,
i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously suffering from bulged feets with yellowish tint...when ever he get an injection from the doctor it cures upto 90%...after a week it starts again...can u help me.Is it completely curable?

I'm sorry to hear that Shaun is having these problems! This is definitely an unusual situation.

I have a similar case in my practice right now. It is a dog who has a bad infection around his nail and toe on 3 different feet.

One of the things we are considering for this dog is a condition called lupoid onychodystrophy. It is not very common, but it is an immune system problem that causes inflammation in the feet. It is treatable but not curable. It is difficult to diagnose because you need to actually amputate the last bone of a toe and send it to a pathologist.

Another possibility is demodex. You can ask your vet to do a skin scraping of his toes and see if this parasite is present.

It is also a good idea to have your vet do a culture of the area to determine if there is a resistant type of bacteria present.

We may be dealing with some other type of autoimmune problem such as pemphigus or lupus or vasculitis. If the injection that your vet is giving is a steroid then this is possible. The way to diagnose this is to have a biopsy done.

It sounds like this is a chronic problem. I wish I had an easier solution for you but it looks like some tests will need to be done.

Why did dog die? My dog, Runway, died suddenly early sunday morning, at about 1:00am. I am wondering... (16449 views)

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (20493 views)

Old deaf dog. my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left,... (10551 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (17072 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (318636 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (12454 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (13184 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (50766 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (9415 views)

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (22382 views)