Swollen feet.

Breed: weimarner
hey doctor,
i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously suffering from bulged feets with yellowish tint...when ever he get an injection from the doctor it cures upto 90%...after a week it starts again...can u help me.Is it completely curable?

I'm sorry to hear that Shaun is having these problems! This is definitely an unusual situation.

I have a similar case in my practice right now. It is a dog who has a bad infection around his nail and toe on 3 different feet.

One of the things we are considering for this dog is a condition called lupoid onychodystrophy. It is not very common, but it is an immune system problem that causes inflammation in the feet. It is treatable but not curable. It is difficult to diagnose because you need to actually amputate the last bone of a toe and send it to a pathologist.

Another possibility is demodex. You can ask your vet to do a skin scraping of his toes and see if this parasite is present.

It is also a good idea to have your vet do a culture of the area to determine if there is a resistant type of bacteria present.

We may be dealing with some other type of autoimmune problem such as pemphigus or lupus or vasculitis. If the injection that your vet is giving is a steroid then this is possible. The way to diagnose this is to have a biopsy done.

It sounds like this is a chronic problem. I wish I had an easier solution for you but it looks like some tests will need to be done.

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (30493 views)

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (7098 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (17523 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (10661 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (13689 views)

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (48325 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (5081 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (9143 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (5213 views)

Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats. Hello, I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of ... (8743 views)