Swollen feet.

Breed: weimarner
hey doctor,
i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously suffering from bulged feets with yellowish tint...when ever he get an injection from the doctor it cures upto 90%...after a week it starts again...can u help me.Is it completely curable?

I'm sorry to hear that Shaun is having these problems! This is definitely an unusual situation.

I have a similar case in my practice right now. It is a dog who has a bad infection around his nail and toe on 3 different feet.

One of the things we are considering for this dog is a condition called lupoid onychodystrophy. It is not very common, but it is an immune system problem that causes inflammation in the feet. It is treatable but not curable. It is difficult to diagnose because you need to actually amputate the last bone of a toe and send it to a pathologist.

Another possibility is demodex. You can ask your vet to do a skin scraping of his toes and see if this parasite is present.

It is also a good idea to have your vet do a culture of the area to determine if there is a resistant type of bacteria present.

We may be dealing with some other type of autoimmune problem such as pemphigus or lupus or vasculitis. If the injection that your vet is giving is a steroid then this is possible. The way to diagnose this is to have a biopsy done.

It sounds like this is a chronic problem. I wish I had an easier solution for you but it looks like some tests will need to be done.

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (8287 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (6845 views)

Euthanize biting dog? My name is Meghan and I am going through a super tough situation and thought maybe... (6550 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (9919 views)

Are these lymph nodes? I noticed about 2 days ago my 4yr old cat looked like a chipmunk. I felt around her... (10323 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (10832 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (14280 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (22413 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (23720 views)

Male cat nipple problem. My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger... (18816 views)