Can't move back legs.

Breed: polydactyl
My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she lost control of her back legs, let some urine out. She was acting like her back had been broken or had some type of spinal injury. This lasted for about 30 sec and then she stood up and walked like nothing had happened. This happened on Thursday and just now happened again. She is an outside cat so I don't know how often this is occurring. She does seem to be breathing harder. She does not have any marks on her. She is up to date on her shots. Not sure what to do?

Oh dear. This does not sound good.

The most common reason for the symptoms that you have described is something called aortoiliac thrombosis, or saddle thrombus.

A saddle thrombus happens when a cat gets a blood clot in the aorta which is the major artery leaving the heart. The blood clot can affect blood supply to the back legs. When this happens it is quite painful in the back legs.

Cats only get saddle thrombus if they have a problem with their heart. Cats can often hide heart disease well, but the difficulty in breathing can definitely be a sign of heart disease.

It is possible that she had a small clot originally and the body managed to clear it, but now another one has formed. Unfortunately, even though we have treatments that we usually try for saddle thrombus most cats do not survive. I usually recommend euthanasia when I have a patient with saddle thrombus.

There are other possibilities. It is possible that she has suffered some trauma to her spine. If this is the case then the sooner she sees a vet the better. They may be able to give her some anti-inflammatory medication and she could possibly recover.

There are other possibilities that are less likely than the two I mentioned.

If it is at all possible, I really would advise that Gracie sees an emergency vet right away. There are two reasons for this. First of all, if this is a spinal injury, then seeing the vet right away could be the difference between life and death. Second, if this is a saddle thrombus then she is in a lot of pain and that is not fair for her.

I really really hope that she is ok.

Thank you for your quick reply. Unfortunately, Gracie died this evening. I think your diagnosis of saddle thrombus may have been correct.
Again, thank you for your time and concern.

I'm so sorry to hear that Gracie died. Thank you for letting me know.

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (15313 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (11027 views)

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (10860 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (13217 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (14496 views)

Pain in front leg. She has been limping, crying out to us, and holding up her front right leg. It... (9167 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (18121 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (14843 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (12172 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (11150 views)