Can't move back legs.

Breed: polydactyl
My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she lost control of her back legs, let some urine out. She was acting like her back had been broken or had some type of spinal injury. This lasted for about 30 sec and then she stood up and walked like nothing had happened. This happened on Thursday and just now happened again. She is an outside cat so I don't know how often this is occurring. She does seem to be breathing harder. She does not have any marks on her. She is up to date on her shots. Not sure what to do?

Oh dear. This does not sound good.

The most common reason for the symptoms that you have described is something called aortoiliac thrombosis, or saddle thrombus.

A saddle thrombus happens when a cat gets a blood clot in the aorta which is the major artery leaving the heart. The blood clot can affect blood supply to the back legs. When this happens it is quite painful in the back legs.

Cats only get saddle thrombus if they have a problem with their heart. Cats can often hide heart disease well, but the difficulty in breathing can definitely be a sign of heart disease.

It is possible that she had a small clot originally and the body managed to clear it, but now another one has formed. Unfortunately, even though we have treatments that we usually try for saddle thrombus most cats do not survive. I usually recommend euthanasia when I have a patient with saddle thrombus.

There are other possibilities. It is possible that she has suffered some trauma to her spine. If this is the case then the sooner she sees a vet the better. They may be able to give her some anti-inflammatory medication and she could possibly recover.

There are other possibilities that are less likely than the two I mentioned.

If it is at all possible, I really would advise that Gracie sees an emergency vet right away. There are two reasons for this. First of all, if this is a spinal injury, then seeing the vet right away could be the difference between life and death. Second, if this is a saddle thrombus then she is in a lot of pain and that is not fair for her.

I really really hope that she is ok.

Thank you for your quick reply. Unfortunately, Gracie died this evening. I think your diagnosis of saddle thrombus may have been correct.
Again, thank you for your time and concern.

I'm so sorry to hear that Gracie died. Thank you for letting me know.

Seizures wouldn't stop. My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He... (29550 views)

Old deaf dog. my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left,... (8386 views)

Peeing in house. My cat has recently started urinating outside of her litter box again. She is about... (8349 views)

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (10812 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7778 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (24013 views)

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (20120 views)

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (60181 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (5460 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (5939 views)