Can't move back legs.

Breed: polydactyl
My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she lost control of her back legs, let some urine out. She was acting like her back had been broken or had some type of spinal injury. This lasted for about 30 sec and then she stood up and walked like nothing had happened. This happened on Thursday and just now happened again. She is an outside cat so I don't know how often this is occurring. She does seem to be breathing harder. She does not have any marks on her. She is up to date on her shots. Not sure what to do?

Oh dear. This does not sound good.

The most common reason for the symptoms that you have described is something called aortoiliac thrombosis, or saddle thrombus.

A saddle thrombus happens when a cat gets a blood clot in the aorta which is the major artery leaving the heart. The blood clot can affect blood supply to the back legs. When this happens it is quite painful in the back legs.

Cats only get saddle thrombus if they have a problem with their heart. Cats can often hide heart disease well, but the difficulty in breathing can definitely be a sign of heart disease.

It is possible that she had a small clot originally and the body managed to clear it, but now another one has formed. Unfortunately, even though we have treatments that we usually try for saddle thrombus most cats do not survive. I usually recommend euthanasia when I have a patient with saddle thrombus.

There are other possibilities. It is possible that she has suffered some trauma to her spine. If this is the case then the sooner she sees a vet the better. They may be able to give her some anti-inflammatory medication and she could possibly recover.

There are other possibilities that are less likely than the two I mentioned.

If it is at all possible, I really would advise that Gracie sees an emergency vet right away. There are two reasons for this. First of all, if this is a spinal injury, then seeing the vet right away could be the difference between life and death. Second, if this is a saddle thrombus then she is in a lot of pain and that is not fair for her.

I really really hope that she is ok.

Thank you for your quick reply. Unfortunately, Gracie died this evening. I think your diagnosis of saddle thrombus may have been correct.
Again, thank you for your time and concern.

I'm so sorry to hear that Gracie died. Thank you for letting me know.

Paying for megacolon surgery. hello my cat has mega-colon my question is do you know of any place that might be... (8068 views)

Big belly in stray cat. Hello, One day a stray cat showed up at our Home, We could tell she was expecting.... (23205 views)

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (6738 views)

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (22075 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (11400 views)

Dog is afraid of people. I have a shy dog and a trainer told me to densitize her to her fears. she is afraid... (6014 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (16808 views)

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (9096 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (21222 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (15078 views)