Sick cat.

Breed: American short hair
HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however, he has been really sick. He thows up yellow or white foamy liquid at least 5 to 6 times a day. He hardly ever eats or drinks now, probably because he knows it hurts his stomach. He used to be overweight, and he has lost a lot of it. So we decided to change things up a bit my giving him food that would be better on his stomach. Such as turkey and rice baby food and anti-acid medication (only giving him half a small pill) and we even tried a hair ball remedy. He used to eat some of the baby food, which helped and he went a day or two without throwing up, but now he won't eat anything. MY cat seems to be slowing down, and its hard for him to get around. Nothing we have tried is working, and we really need a suggestion or even a diagnosis or something so he can get treated. THank you so much for your help!

Oh no...I'm really concerned about Boo. He sounds very sick.

When a cat has a reduced appetite there is always a medical reason for it. It's not likely to be related to whatever food he is eating.

There are many possible reasons for his symptoms. I'll describe a few for you.

If he's been unwell for a couple of months then he may have something called fatty liver. You can read more about this condition here: Fatty liver in cats. Fatty liver can sometimes be treated by having your vet prescribe some anti-nausea medication and then by learning to force feed him. But, some cats do need intensive hospital care in order to get better.

It's also possible that he has kidney disease. This is really common in cats. For some cats there are things that we can do to help, but once they get really sick then this is not good.

Another possibility is inflammatory bowel disease. This can cause repeated vomiting and weight loss. It doesn't directly cause a lack of appetite though.

There are many other possible causes as well.

There really is nothing that I can suggest for you to do for him at home. This little boy is very sick and needs to see a vet. Your vet will want to do some blood tests for him which should help us determine what is going on and whether it is treatable or not.

I'm sorry that I can't advise you on a treatment. I hope he can see a vet soon and I really hope it is nothing serious. If you see your vet and you have questions after your vet visit just reply to this question and I'll see if I can help you out.

Crusty ears and very itchy. i have a boston terrier that just turned 1 year old (female). at 6 months i took her... (9588 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (14167 views)

Great Dane footpad problems. I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her... (11604 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (7213 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (9159 views)

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (9201 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (45980 views)

Cat puffing its hair out. Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that... (14161 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (10027 views)

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (6416 views)