Sick cat.

Breed: American short hair
HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however, he has been really sick. He thows up yellow or white foamy liquid at least 5 to 6 times a day. He hardly ever eats or drinks now, probably because he knows it hurts his stomach. He used to be overweight, and he has lost a lot of it. So we decided to change things up a bit my giving him food that would be better on his stomach. Such as turkey and rice baby food and anti-acid medication (only giving him half a small pill) and we even tried a hair ball remedy. He used to eat some of the baby food, which helped and he went a day or two without throwing up, but now he won't eat anything. MY cat seems to be slowing down, and its hard for him to get around. Nothing we have tried is working, and we really need a suggestion or even a diagnosis or something so he can get treated. THank you so much for your help!

Oh no...I'm really concerned about Boo. He sounds very sick.

When a cat has a reduced appetite there is always a medical reason for it. It's not likely to be related to whatever food he is eating.

There are many possible reasons for his symptoms. I'll describe a few for you.

If he's been unwell for a couple of months then he may have something called fatty liver. You can read more about this condition here: Fatty liver in cats. Fatty liver can sometimes be treated by having your vet prescribe some anti-nausea medication and then by learning to force feed him. But, some cats do need intensive hospital care in order to get better.

It's also possible that he has kidney disease. This is really common in cats. For some cats there are things that we can do to help, but once they get really sick then this is not good.

Another possibility is inflammatory bowel disease. This can cause repeated vomiting and weight loss. It doesn't directly cause a lack of appetite though.

There are many other possible causes as well.

There really is nothing that I can suggest for you to do for him at home. This little boy is very sick and needs to see a vet. Your vet will want to do some blood tests for him which should help us determine what is going on and whether it is treatable or not.

I'm sorry that I can't advise you on a treatment. I hope he can see a vet soon and I really hope it is nothing serious. If you see your vet and you have questions after your vet visit just reply to this question and I'll see if I can help you out.

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (41566 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (10060 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (12315 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (7611 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (6622 views)

Damaged intestines? A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told... (11413 views)

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (7123 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (20271 views)

Spay older dog? Hi Vet My dog is 9 years old & has never been mated. She is healthy & does not have... (9348 views)

Ear margin dermatosis. Hello, I have a 5 year old over-weight beagle. He's had these small dry crusty... (59079 views)