Pink spot on dog.

Breed: STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIO
I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest about the size of a pencil eraser head. A few weeks ago I noticed he now has more spots on him. There is a flat, sort of crusty pink spot with no hair in the fold of his skin on his right shoulder. Another spot that looks identical on his neck in the folds of his skin. Both spots are about the size of a dime maybe a little bigger. The spots seem like they are getting bigger. Could this be skin cancer? I called his vet to get an appointment but he cant get in until October 22nd.

Hi and thanks for your question. Is there any chance you could take a picture of this lump and send it to me? You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com. I can't guarantee I can tell you what it is, but seeing a photo could make things a bit easier.

If you can't send a photo, then let me know and I'll give you my thoughts based on what you have written.

I sent a photo of one of the spots. The other spots look similar.

Hmmm...for some reason the photo has not come through yet. Are you sure you are sending it to photos@askavetquestion.com?

yes and i just sent it again

Thanks...Hang on. I just typed a big reply and for some reason my server ate it up. ....

OK, let's try this again.

Thanks for sending the photo:

pink spot on dog's skin

My first instinct is to say that this is a bacterial skin infection. Of course, I can't say for certain without seeing this in person. But, a bacterial infection would be my first guess. If this is the case, then most infections like this need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet. But, if you can't see them right away, there's not likely to be any major harm done.

A fungal infection like ringworm could look like this, but I think that this is much less likely than a bacterial infection.

A parasite called demodex can do this, but demodex is really more common in much younger dogs.

I think that the chances of this being cancer are extremely small. With that said, if the spots are not responding to treatment then your vet may consider a biopsy. But, I would be quite surprised if this happens.

Thanks so much. Is this contagious to humans? I have an 8 month old baby and I'm afraid for him to contract something from Charlie.

It's hard to say without knowing exactly what it is. If it's bacterial or demodex, then it's not likely to be contagious to humans. If it's ringworm, it certainly could be. I really do think that ringworm is unlikely though.

OK thanks so much!

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (11218 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (39084 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (55246 views)

Is he really gone? My very elderly dog very sadly had to be put to sleep a few days ago. This was... (28733 views)

Puppy with bald spots. Hello, Im concerned about my dog, she is only 4 months but she is barely growing... (7418 views)

Ear margin dermatosis. Hello, I have a 5 year old over-weight beagle. He's had these small dry crusty... (53657 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (24069 views)

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (36991 views)

Pale gums and seizure. Hi, 2 months ago buddy would go outside and if he would run/play hard he would come... (9345 views)

Fleas, pale nose and sick. My cat Ava has lost alomot all of her hair and so much weight i can see her hip... (4492 views)