Pink spot on dog.

Breed: STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIO
I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest about the size of a pencil eraser head. A few weeks ago I noticed he now has more spots on him. There is a flat, sort of crusty pink spot with no hair in the fold of his skin on his right shoulder. Another spot that looks identical on his neck in the folds of his skin. Both spots are about the size of a dime maybe a little bigger. The spots seem like they are getting bigger. Could this be skin cancer? I called his vet to get an appointment but he cant get in until October 22nd.

Hi and thanks for your question. Is there any chance you could take a picture of this lump and send it to me? You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com. I can't guarantee I can tell you what it is, but seeing a photo could make things a bit easier.

If you can't send a photo, then let me know and I'll give you my thoughts based on what you have written.

I sent a photo of one of the spots. The other spots look similar.

Hmmm...for some reason the photo has not come through yet. Are you sure you are sending it to photos@askavetquestion.com?

yes and i just sent it again

Thanks...Hang on. I just typed a big reply and for some reason my server ate it up. ....

OK, let's try this again.

Thanks for sending the photo:

pink spot on dog's skin

My first instinct is to say that this is a bacterial skin infection. Of course, I can't say for certain without seeing this in person. But, a bacterial infection would be my first guess. If this is the case, then most infections like this need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet. But, if you can't see them right away, there's not likely to be any major harm done.

A fungal infection like ringworm could look like this, but I think that this is much less likely than a bacterial infection.

A parasite called demodex can do this, but demodex is really more common in much younger dogs.

I think that the chances of this being cancer are extremely small. With that said, if the spots are not responding to treatment then your vet may consider a biopsy. But, I would be quite surprised if this happens.

Thanks so much. Is this contagious to humans? I have an 8 month old baby and I'm afraid for him to contract something from Charlie.

It's hard to say without knowing exactly what it is. If it's bacterial or demodex, then it's not likely to be contagious to humans. If it's ringworm, it certainly could be. I really do think that ringworm is unlikely though.

OK thanks so much!

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (9882 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (32753 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (18985 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (13153 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (10764 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (92231 views)

Mange treatment. Dr. Marie: My dog has demodectic mange. We give her Promeris, but it makes her... (15288 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (10934 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (74284 views)

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (15402 views)