Pink spot on dog.

Breed: STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIO
I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest about the size of a pencil eraser head. A few weeks ago I noticed he now has more spots on him. There is a flat, sort of crusty pink spot with no hair in the fold of his skin on his right shoulder. Another spot that looks identical on his neck in the folds of his skin. Both spots are about the size of a dime maybe a little bigger. The spots seem like they are getting bigger. Could this be skin cancer? I called his vet to get an appointment but he cant get in until October 22nd.

Hi and thanks for your question. Is there any chance you could take a picture of this lump and send it to me? You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com. I can't guarantee I can tell you what it is, but seeing a photo could make things a bit easier.

If you can't send a photo, then let me know and I'll give you my thoughts based on what you have written.

I sent a photo of one of the spots. The other spots look similar.

Hmmm...for some reason the photo has not come through yet. Are you sure you are sending it to photos@askavetquestion.com?

yes and i just sent it again

Thanks...Hang on. I just typed a big reply and for some reason my server ate it up. ....

OK, let's try this again.

Thanks for sending the photo:

pink spot on dog's skin

My first instinct is to say that this is a bacterial skin infection. Of course, I can't say for certain without seeing this in person. But, a bacterial infection would be my first guess. If this is the case, then most infections like this need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet. But, if you can't see them right away, there's not likely to be any major harm done.

A fungal infection like ringworm could look like this, but I think that this is much less likely than a bacterial infection.

A parasite called demodex can do this, but demodex is really more common in much younger dogs.

I think that the chances of this being cancer are extremely small. With that said, if the spots are not responding to treatment then your vet may consider a biopsy. But, I would be quite surprised if this happens.

Thanks so much. Is this contagious to humans? I have an 8 month old baby and I'm afraid for him to contract something from Charlie.

It's hard to say without knowing exactly what it is. If it's bacterial or demodex, then it's not likely to be contagious to humans. If it's ringworm, it certainly could be. I really do think that ringworm is unlikely though.

OK thanks so much!

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (11225 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (229027 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (13574 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday... (28105 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (12930 views)

Using elastic to remove lump. Rusty was diagnose with "cancer" after giving birth 4 years ago. It was recommended... (7983 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (11444 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (5790 views)

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (6032 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (9456 views)