Saddle thrombus in a dog.

Breed: Maltese mix
In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how long does it take (a) for the back legs to become cold, and (b) for the nail beds to turn blue/purple?

Hi. Has your dog been diagnosed with a saddle thrombus? In all of my years of practice I have never seen or heard of a saddle thrombus in a dog. However, I did just do some research and there have been cases reported.

A saddle thrombus is also known as a thromboembolism. This is where a blood clot gets lodged in the aorta where it branches out to the back legs. The blood clot blocks the flow of blood to the back legs. It is seen in cats much more commonly than in dogs. When it happens it is almost always because the animal has a serious heart condition. I don't believe that it is possible for an animal with a normal healthy heart to have a saddle thrombus.

If this did happen in a dog then the time it would take to see clinical signs would depend on how large of a clot it was and how much blood flow was being restricted. I wouldn't expect to see blue or purple nail beds though. In cats we generally see pale nail beds. If it was a complete blockage of blood flow then the symptoms really should come on within minutes.

Has your dog been diagnosed as having this? Or are you just seeing symptoms? If your dog has these symptoms and hasn't seen a vet then I think an immediate vet visit is warranted.

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (6843 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (12645 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (6833 views)

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (9159 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (18339 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (8894 views)

Eucalyptus for fleas. I was washing my 8week old puppy and pored a large amount of Eucalyptus Oil on him..... (13771 views)

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (5831 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (13282 views)

Metronidazole and liver disease. My dog was diagnosed with sudden liver failure brought on by Interceptor. He got... (26153 views)