Saddle thrombus in a dog.

Breed: Maltese mix
In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how long does it take (a) for the back legs to become cold, and (b) for the nail beds to turn blue/purple?

Hi. Has your dog been diagnosed with a saddle thrombus? In all of my years of practice I have never seen or heard of a saddle thrombus in a dog. However, I did just do some research and there have been cases reported.

A saddle thrombus is also known as a thromboembolism. This is where a blood clot gets lodged in the aorta where it branches out to the back legs. The blood clot blocks the flow of blood to the back legs. It is seen in cats much more commonly than in dogs. When it happens it is almost always because the animal has a serious heart condition. I don't believe that it is possible for an animal with a normal healthy heart to have a saddle thrombus.

If this did happen in a dog then the time it would take to see clinical signs would depend on how large of a clot it was and how much blood flow was being restricted. I wouldn't expect to see blue or purple nail beds though. In cats we generally see pale nail beds. If it was a complete blockage of blood flow then the symptoms really should come on within minutes.

Has your dog been diagnosed as having this? Or are you just seeing symptoms? If your dog has these symptoms and hasn't seen a vet then I think an immediate vet visit is warranted.

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (10099 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (8851 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (8694 views)

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (7041 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (9232 views)

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (12691 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (6676 views)

Boyfriend doesn't want to neuter dog. My boyfriend and I are arguing about whether to get our dog neutered. He is a pit... (9776 views)

Possible seizures? Our cat, Teddy, started having episodes of rigid front legs, swaying, and staggering... (7380 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (7614 views)