Saddle thrombus in a dog.

Breed: Maltese mix
In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how long does it take (a) for the back legs to become cold, and (b) for the nail beds to turn blue/purple?

Hi. Has your dog been diagnosed with a saddle thrombus? In all of my years of practice I have never seen or heard of a saddle thrombus in a dog. However, I did just do some research and there have been cases reported.

A saddle thrombus is also known as a thromboembolism. This is where a blood clot gets lodged in the aorta where it branches out to the back legs. The blood clot blocks the flow of blood to the back legs. It is seen in cats much more commonly than in dogs. When it happens it is almost always because the animal has a serious heart condition. I don't believe that it is possible for an animal with a normal healthy heart to have a saddle thrombus.

If this did happen in a dog then the time it would take to see clinical signs would depend on how large of a clot it was and how much blood flow was being restricted. I wouldn't expect to see blue or purple nail beds though. In cats we generally see pale nail beds. If it was a complete blockage of blood flow then the symptoms really should come on within minutes.

Has your dog been diagnosed as having this? Or are you just seeing symptoms? If your dog has these symptoms and hasn't seen a vet then I think an immediate vet visit is warranted.

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (10121 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (12473 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (9163 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (12361 views)

dog with strabismus Dr. , My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has... (20121 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (9376 views)

Swollen lab. Hi, my name is Ron Lamoureux. One month ago I noticed that my 2 yr old Lab... (11734 views)

Shaking cat. My cat, Misty will be 14 in Aug. The only problems she’s had until recently have... (14177 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (17391 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (21085 views)