Saddle thrombus in a dog.

Breed: Maltese mix
In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how long does it take (a) for the back legs to become cold, and (b) for the nail beds to turn blue/purple?

Hi. Has your dog been diagnosed with a saddle thrombus? In all of my years of practice I have never seen or heard of a saddle thrombus in a dog. However, I did just do some research and there have been cases reported.

A saddle thrombus is also known as a thromboembolism. This is where a blood clot gets lodged in the aorta where it branches out to the back legs. The blood clot blocks the flow of blood to the back legs. It is seen in cats much more commonly than in dogs. When it happens it is almost always because the animal has a serious heart condition. I don't believe that it is possible for an animal with a normal healthy heart to have a saddle thrombus.

If this did happen in a dog then the time it would take to see clinical signs would depend on how large of a clot it was and how much blood flow was being restricted. I wouldn't expect to see blue or purple nail beds though. In cats we generally see pale nail beds. If it was a complete blockage of blood flow then the symptoms really should come on within minutes.

Has your dog been diagnosed as having this? Or are you just seeing symptoms? If your dog has these symptoms and hasn't seen a vet then I think an immediate vet visit is warranted.

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (7600 views)

Heart rate for a cat. Dear Dr.Marie I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart... (11544 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (25213 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (14158 views)

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (19249 views)

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (11218 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (6583 views)

Previous leg injury. Dear Dr Marie, Recently I've taken in a rescued Greyhound. I immediately noticed,... (15019 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (44338 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (8341 views)