Hypothyroidism in Sheltie.

Breed: Sheltie
Hi
My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low but not too low. However she is a sheltie and the website http://www.illinoissheltierescue.com/thyroid.html said that is low for a sheltie. the vet put her on .1mg of thyrozine twice a day. is this the same as Soloxine? is .1mg very low? will it help? thanks

Thyrozine is indeed the same medication as Soloxine. They are both something called levothyroxine which work to improve the thyroid levels in a dog with hypothyroidism.

Interpreting the test results depend on which type of thyroid tests were done. There are several tests including Total T4, Free T4, TSH, T4 by Equilibrium Dialysis and Two Step T4. All of these have different results and different ways that they can be interpreted.

If it was just a T4 (or Free T4) test that was run I don't usually put a dog on thyroid medicine unless the dog has very obvious symptoms of hypothyroidism including weight gain, poor coat, extreme lethargy and lack of appetite. The reason for this is that other things can cause a T4 level to be artificially lowered. An example would be a hidden infection. This is why I usually run a combo of tests to determine if hypothyroidism really is the problem.

.1mg is a very low dose of thyroid medication. There is likely no harm in trying it to see if you notice an improvement.

I hope this helps. Thyroid disease can be hard to understand sometimes so let me know if you have more questions.

the vet also ran a complete blood test and everything was good
thanks

Frontline and bathing. Hi Dr. Marie, I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a... (23476 views)

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (22229 views)

Bump on cat's ear. Hello, I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels... (21969 views)

Natural treatment for lymphoma? my dog was just diagnosed with lymphoma cancer. hes on prednisone. cant afford... (8010 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (17565 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (11068 views)

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (10136 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (10697 views)

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (34439 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (8754 views)