Hypothyroidism in Sheltie.

Breed: Sheltie
Hi
My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low but not too low. However she is a sheltie and the website http://www.illinoissheltierescue.com/thyroid.html said that is low for a sheltie. the vet put her on .1mg of thyrozine twice a day. is this the same as Soloxine? is .1mg very low? will it help? thanks

Thyrozine is indeed the same medication as Soloxine. They are both something called levothyroxine which work to improve the thyroid levels in a dog with hypothyroidism.

Interpreting the test results depend on which type of thyroid tests were done. There are several tests including Total T4, Free T4, TSH, T4 by Equilibrium Dialysis and Two Step T4. All of these have different results and different ways that they can be interpreted.

If it was just a T4 (or Free T4) test that was run I don't usually put a dog on thyroid medicine unless the dog has very obvious symptoms of hypothyroidism including weight gain, poor coat, extreme lethargy and lack of appetite. The reason for this is that other things can cause a T4 level to be artificially lowered. An example would be a hidden infection. This is why I usually run a combo of tests to determine if hypothyroidism really is the problem.

.1mg is a very low dose of thyroid medication. There is likely no harm in trying it to see if you notice an improvement.

I hope this helps. Thyroid disease can be hard to understand sometimes so let me know if you have more questions.

the vet also ran a complete blood test and everything was good
thanks

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (6466 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (11320 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (7689 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (10337 views)

Chihuahua has back problem. Hi! One of my four chihuahuas, Ginger, has been having a back problem for a while... (11200 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (4761 views)

Proin for incontinence. Our lab is 4 years old and has had a urinary problem since birth. When he sleeps or... (9862 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (6490 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (12386 views)

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (55924 views)