Hypothyroidism in Sheltie.

Breed: Sheltie
Hi
My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low but not too low. However she is a sheltie and the website http://www.illinoissheltierescue.com/thyroid.html said that is low for a sheltie. the vet put her on .1mg of thyrozine twice a day. is this the same as Soloxine? is .1mg very low? will it help? thanks

Thyrozine is indeed the same medication as Soloxine. They are both something called levothyroxine which work to improve the thyroid levels in a dog with hypothyroidism.

Interpreting the test results depend on which type of thyroid tests were done. There are several tests including Total T4, Free T4, TSH, T4 by Equilibrium Dialysis and Two Step T4. All of these have different results and different ways that they can be interpreted.

If it was just a T4 (or Free T4) test that was run I don't usually put a dog on thyroid medicine unless the dog has very obvious symptoms of hypothyroidism including weight gain, poor coat, extreme lethargy and lack of appetite. The reason for this is that other things can cause a T4 level to be artificially lowered. An example would be a hidden infection. This is why I usually run a combo of tests to determine if hypothyroidism really is the problem.

.1mg is a very low dose of thyroid medication. There is likely no harm in trying it to see if you notice an improvement.

I hope this helps. Thyroid disease can be hard to understand sometimes so let me know if you have more questions.

the vet also ran a complete blood test and everything was good
thanks

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (9442 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (11511 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (21783 views)

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (10779 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (14859 views)

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (10503 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (13596 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (11884 views)

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (28013 views)

Coughing older dog. Parker is a slightly smaller than average Wheaten mix who has been overweight most... (7969 views)