Hypothyroidism in Sheltie.

Breed: Sheltie
Hi
My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low but not too low. However she is a sheltie and the website http://www.illinoissheltierescue.com/thyroid.html said that is low for a sheltie. the vet put her on .1mg of thyrozine twice a day. is this the same as Soloxine? is .1mg very low? will it help? thanks

Thyrozine is indeed the same medication as Soloxine. They are both something called levothyroxine which work to improve the thyroid levels in a dog with hypothyroidism.

Interpreting the test results depend on which type of thyroid tests were done. There are several tests including Total T4, Free T4, TSH, T4 by Equilibrium Dialysis and Two Step T4. All of these have different results and different ways that they can be interpreted.

If it was just a T4 (or Free T4) test that was run I don't usually put a dog on thyroid medicine unless the dog has very obvious symptoms of hypothyroidism including weight gain, poor coat, extreme lethargy and lack of appetite. The reason for this is that other things can cause a T4 level to be artificially lowered. An example would be a hidden infection. This is why I usually run a combo of tests to determine if hypothyroidism really is the problem.

.1mg is a very low dose of thyroid medication. There is likely no harm in trying it to see if you notice an improvement.

I hope this helps. Thyroid disease can be hard to understand sometimes so let me know if you have more questions.

the vet also ran a complete blood test and everything was good
thanks

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (70768 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (13319 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (9943 views)

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (17517 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (12803 views)

Testosterone injection for cryptorchidism. I have a Mini French Poodle and he is about 1 year old and he only has one testicle... (7175 views)

Fleas, pale nose and sick. My cat Ava has lost alomot all of her hair and so much weight i can see her hip... (4994 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (13601 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (48435 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (4408 views)