Hypothyroidism in Sheltie.

Breed: Sheltie
Hi
My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low but not too low. However she is a sheltie and the website http://www.illinoissheltierescue.com/thyroid.html said that is low for a sheltie. the vet put her on .1mg of thyrozine twice a day. is this the same as Soloxine? is .1mg very low? will it help? thanks

Thyrozine is indeed the same medication as Soloxine. They are both something called levothyroxine which work to improve the thyroid levels in a dog with hypothyroidism.

Interpreting the test results depend on which type of thyroid tests were done. There are several tests including Total T4, Free T4, TSH, T4 by Equilibrium Dialysis and Two Step T4. All of these have different results and different ways that they can be interpreted.

If it was just a T4 (or Free T4) test that was run I don't usually put a dog on thyroid medicine unless the dog has very obvious symptoms of hypothyroidism including weight gain, poor coat, extreme lethargy and lack of appetite. The reason for this is that other things can cause a T4 level to be artificially lowered. An example would be a hidden infection. This is why I usually run a combo of tests to determine if hypothyroidism really is the problem.

.1mg is a very low dose of thyroid medication. There is likely no harm in trying it to see if you notice an improvement.

I hope this helps. Thyroid disease can be hard to understand sometimes so let me know if you have more questions.

the vet also ran a complete blood test and everything was good
thanks

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (68243 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (17007 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (11218 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (6090 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (9386 views)

Using elastic to remove lump. Rusty was diagnose with "cancer" after giving birth 4 years ago. It was recommended... (8335 views)

Rat Lifespan? Sick rat. My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes... (11332 views)

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (13773 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (7765 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (7934 views)