Anemic dog.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
Hi,

I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago to get blood tests to make sure his liver/kidney counts are ok. He is on a small dose of prednisone for Syringomaelia, so needs regular check-ups.

He was found in passing to be slightly anemic. Red blood count 5, Hemoglobin 12.2 and HCT 0.366. Since he was bright and happy, his gums were a good colour, lymph nodes fine, and I haven't noticed any darkening of his stool, we decided to just check it again after a couple of months.

Today was the first day that I've noticed him being a bit lethargic and then it suddenly occurred to me that 12 days ago he found a dead, half decayed rat. He only got one bite of it before I got it off him (using my shoe), so although it was gross, I thought no more about it. Now I'm getting worried that it might have been poisoned and that the toxin is doing some slow internal damage - hence the low RBC.

This comes at the worst time because it's midsummer weekend, so the vet is closed, and first thing Monday morning I'm due to leave on a two week trip and Sammy will be looked after by a friend. It's an expensive trip and I'll be letting my travel companion down badly if I cancel due to neurotic fears for my pet.

Do you think my fears are valid? Any ideas what could cause the anemia otherwise?

Laura

P.S. his ALKP count was on the rise at 1140 U/L, so his prednisone dose will be decreased, but the vet I saw didn't think this was connected to the anemia. His AMYL count was also slightly low - 381 U/L.

Hi Laura and thanks for your question.

I normally wouldn't be too concerned about these red blood cell levels as long as a dog is bright an dhappy and eating well. But, if he's starting to get lethargic then I am a little bit worried.

One thing that could tie everything together would be if the rat had gotten into rat poison. What most rat poisons do is cause an animal to have trouble clotting their blood. If eaten in large amounts then an animal can bleed to death. If an animal gets a small amount (or possibly eats part of a rat that had eaten rat poison) then they can have some minor issues with bleeding.

Take a look at Sammy's gums. Do they look pink? or are they close to being white? If they are white then I would get him to emergency tonight.

Another possible reason for bleeding would be if he had a stomach ulcer and this can be really serious. It's not common, but I have seen dogs that are on prednisone that get a stomach ulcer. Usually though the dog has to be on a really high dose of prednisone to get an ulcer. Most of the time if there is a stomach ulcer we will see black tarry colored stools.

If you weren't going away then I would advise you to just keep an eye on Sammy. However, I think you probably should have a vet take a look at him just to be sure everything is ok. The first thing they'll want to do is check his red cell level again.

One other thing to look for to determine whether you need to rush into emergency is signs of tiny amounts of bruising. If you see any little purple bruises on his belly or gums then this is a sign of clotting problems and needs to be addressed right away.

I hope he is ok!

Puppy has diarrhea. i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and... (15148 views)

Tumor grew back. Hello, Our cat Chester had a tumor removed, sarcoma, about the size of a large golf... (4442 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (44359 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (10883 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (5655 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (4325 views)

Dog shedding like crazy. my dog is shedding like crazy year round what should i do? ... (9825 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (9218 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (9219 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (13986 views)