Anemic dog.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
Hi,

I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago to get blood tests to make sure his liver/kidney counts are ok. He is on a small dose of prednisone for Syringomaelia, so needs regular check-ups.

He was found in passing to be slightly anemic. Red blood count 5, Hemoglobin 12.2 and HCT 0.366. Since he was bright and happy, his gums were a good colour, lymph nodes fine, and I haven't noticed any darkening of his stool, we decided to just check it again after a couple of months.

Today was the first day that I've noticed him being a bit lethargic and then it suddenly occurred to me that 12 days ago he found a dead, half decayed rat. He only got one bite of it before I got it off him (using my shoe), so although it was gross, I thought no more about it. Now I'm getting worried that it might have been poisoned and that the toxin is doing some slow internal damage - hence the low RBC.

This comes at the worst time because it's midsummer weekend, so the vet is closed, and first thing Monday morning I'm due to leave on a two week trip and Sammy will be looked after by a friend. It's an expensive trip and I'll be letting my travel companion down badly if I cancel due to neurotic fears for my pet.

Do you think my fears are valid? Any ideas what could cause the anemia otherwise?

Laura

P.S. his ALKP count was on the rise at 1140 U/L, so his prednisone dose will be decreased, but the vet I saw didn't think this was connected to the anemia. His AMYL count was also slightly low - 381 U/L.

Hi Laura and thanks for your question.

I normally wouldn't be too concerned about these red blood cell levels as long as a dog is bright an dhappy and eating well. But, if he's starting to get lethargic then I am a little bit worried.

One thing that could tie everything together would be if the rat had gotten into rat poison. What most rat poisons do is cause an animal to have trouble clotting their blood. If eaten in large amounts then an animal can bleed to death. If an animal gets a small amount (or possibly eats part of a rat that had eaten rat poison) then they can have some minor issues with bleeding.

Take a look at Sammy's gums. Do they look pink? or are they close to being white? If they are white then I would get him to emergency tonight.

Another possible reason for bleeding would be if he had a stomach ulcer and this can be really serious. It's not common, but I have seen dogs that are on prednisone that get a stomach ulcer. Usually though the dog has to be on a really high dose of prednisone to get an ulcer. Most of the time if there is a stomach ulcer we will see black tarry colored stools.

If you weren't going away then I would advise you to just keep an eye on Sammy. However, I think you probably should have a vet take a look at him just to be sure everything is ok. The first thing they'll want to do is check his red cell level again.

One other thing to look for to determine whether you need to rush into emergency is signs of tiny amounts of bruising. If you see any little purple bruises on his belly or gums then this is a sign of clotting problems and needs to be addressed right away.

I hope he is ok!

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (4886 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (7583 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (8613 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (30921 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (24452 views)

Dog can't poop. okay hi how r u doing? my little dog she is a puppy she is 8 months she cant booboo... (13888 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (5985 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (5889 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (13524 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (9761 views)