Should I get an ultrasound?

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie,

My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole life. The vet suggested that I get an echo done of her heart, which I was planning to do this week. However, I would like to postpone the echo for a month or so because of the cost. The vet was pretty firm in terms of getting it done sooner rather than later but she had an x-ray done of her heart about 3 weeks ago and they said everything looked fine. Is it okay to wait until September (or maybe even October) to have it done?

She turned 7 this summer, and the vet has been referring to her as a “senior dog.” That freaked me out! She is still behaving like a puppy in many ways (high energy, playful, etc). Should I be worrying about her now? The anxiety of losing her is driving me crazy!

Thank you (as always) for your reliable advice and compassion!

Blessings,
Julie

Hi Julie...I remember you asking about Jammy before. This is tough for me to answer without examining Jammy. But, in general, I'm not in a rush to get an ultrasound done on a dog's heart if there aren't any clinical symptoms of heart disease. Clinical symptoms are usually coughing or fainting.

The only thing that I could think of that would suddenly cause heart problems with no prior symptoms would be a condition called dilated cardiomyopathy. Dogs can suddenly die from this. However, the chances of that happening between now and a few months from now are slim to none.

I think you're likely fine to wait!

Just so you know, I'm heading offline now...I'm off to work. If you have more concerns, hit reply and I'll respond later today.

Thank you! Regading dilated cardiomyopathy, would that show up in an echo?

Yes! In fact, an echo (ultrasound) is the ONLY way we can diagnose DCM.

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (8092 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (11395 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (10105 views)

Does pet store flea medicine work? My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea... (11892 views)

Sudden bulldog death. Hello Dr. Marie, I own a boarding kennel and have for fifteen years. We pride... (28463 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (5597 views)

Cat aggressive with dog. Our household has 2 dogs, 2 indoor cats, 3 parakeets and 3 kids :). The cats and... (5556 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (6066 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (8858 views)

Arthritis medicine I have a 10 month old Pomeranian who appears to have hip problems. I am very low... (7916 views)