Should I get an ultrasound?

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie,

My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole life. The vet suggested that I get an echo done of her heart, which I was planning to do this week. However, I would like to postpone the echo for a month or so because of the cost. The vet was pretty firm in terms of getting it done sooner rather than later but she had an x-ray done of her heart about 3 weeks ago and they said everything looked fine. Is it okay to wait until September (or maybe even October) to have it done?

She turned 7 this summer, and the vet has been referring to her as a “senior dog.” That freaked me out! She is still behaving like a puppy in many ways (high energy, playful, etc). Should I be worrying about her now? The anxiety of losing her is driving me crazy!

Thank you (as always) for your reliable advice and compassion!

Blessings,
Julie

Hi Julie...I remember you asking about Jammy before. This is tough for me to answer without examining Jammy. But, in general, I'm not in a rush to get an ultrasound done on a dog's heart if there aren't any clinical symptoms of heart disease. Clinical symptoms are usually coughing or fainting.

The only thing that I could think of that would suddenly cause heart problems with no prior symptoms would be a condition called dilated cardiomyopathy. Dogs can suddenly die from this. However, the chances of that happening between now and a few months from now are slim to none.

I think you're likely fine to wait!

Just so you know, I'm heading offline now...I'm off to work. If you have more concerns, hit reply and I'll respond later today.

Thank you! Regading dilated cardiomyopathy, would that show up in an echo?

Yes! In fact, an echo (ultrasound) is the ONLY way we can diagnose DCM.

Newborn puppy not eating. Well yesterday my presious had puppys she had two, and about two to three hours... (8194 views)

Swollen feet in older cat. My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have... (15655 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (15995 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (8347 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (7050 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (6552 views)

Side effects of Trilostane. Buddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 5 weeks ago. He had extensive blood... (12942 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (9596 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (6107 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (13503 views)