Should I get an ultrasound?

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie,

My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole life. The vet suggested that I get an echo done of her heart, which I was planning to do this week. However, I would like to postpone the echo for a month or so because of the cost. The vet was pretty firm in terms of getting it done sooner rather than later but she had an x-ray done of her heart about 3 weeks ago and they said everything looked fine. Is it okay to wait until September (or maybe even October) to have it done?

She turned 7 this summer, and the vet has been referring to her as a “senior dog.” That freaked me out! She is still behaving like a puppy in many ways (high energy, playful, etc). Should I be worrying about her now? The anxiety of losing her is driving me crazy!

Thank you (as always) for your reliable advice and compassion!

Blessings,
Julie

Hi Julie...I remember you asking about Jammy before. This is tough for me to answer without examining Jammy. But, in general, I'm not in a rush to get an ultrasound done on a dog's heart if there aren't any clinical symptoms of heart disease. Clinical symptoms are usually coughing or fainting.

The only thing that I could think of that would suddenly cause heart problems with no prior symptoms would be a condition called dilated cardiomyopathy. Dogs can suddenly die from this. However, the chances of that happening between now and a few months from now are slim to none.

I think you're likely fine to wait!

Just so you know, I'm heading offline now...I'm off to work. If you have more concerns, hit reply and I'll respond later today.

Thank you! Regading dilated cardiomyopathy, would that show up in an echo?

Yes! In fact, an echo (ultrasound) is the ONLY way we can diagnose DCM.

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (9814 views)

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (8170 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (12735 views)

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (11313 views)

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (53919 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (29180 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (9215 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (14546 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (14365 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (18389 views)