Should I get an ultrasound?

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie,

My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole life. The vet suggested that I get an echo done of her heart, which I was planning to do this week. However, I would like to postpone the echo for a month or so because of the cost. The vet was pretty firm in terms of getting it done sooner rather than later but she had an x-ray done of her heart about 3 weeks ago and they said everything looked fine. Is it okay to wait until September (or maybe even October) to have it done?

She turned 7 this summer, and the vet has been referring to her as a “senior dog.” That freaked me out! She is still behaving like a puppy in many ways (high energy, playful, etc). Should I be worrying about her now? The anxiety of losing her is driving me crazy!

Thank you (as always) for your reliable advice and compassion!

Blessings,
Julie

Hi Julie...I remember you asking about Jammy before. This is tough for me to answer without examining Jammy. But, in general, I'm not in a rush to get an ultrasound done on a dog's heart if there aren't any clinical symptoms of heart disease. Clinical symptoms are usually coughing or fainting.

The only thing that I could think of that would suddenly cause heart problems with no prior symptoms would be a condition called dilated cardiomyopathy. Dogs can suddenly die from this. However, the chances of that happening between now and a few months from now are slim to none.

I think you're likely fine to wait!

Just so you know, I'm heading offline now...I'm off to work. If you have more concerns, hit reply and I'll respond later today.

Thank you! Regading dilated cardiomyopathy, would that show up in an echo?

Yes! In fact, an echo (ultrasound) is the ONLY way we can diagnose DCM.

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (27842 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (36375 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (9941 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (9730 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis? Repeat Customer: Hi Dr, I spoke to you last Friday (through email) week... (16536 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (17682 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (7364 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (17226 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (5481 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (12554 views)