Cat's stomach making noises

Breed: Domestic shorthair
My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This is very unusual for her--we have never noticed this happening before. She also has vomited several times recently, but this is common for her. She does not appear to be losing weight, at least not so far. It is the tummy gurgling we are concerned about. How concerned should we be? Is this an emergency?

What causes a cat's stomach to make noises?

Sometimes a cat can have a gurgly, rumbling stomach for no reason. Here are some other possible reasons for a cat to have loud stomach noises:

• A slightly upset tummy because of a change in food.

• Gastric Stasis - A condition that can cause things to not move out of the stomach quickly enough.

• A response to stress.

• Gastritis as a result of a bacterial, viral or parasitic infection.

There are many other possibilities as well.

The answer to your question really depends on how your cat is is acting. Does she have a normal appetite? Is she quieter than usual today? Does she have any diarrhea?

If she is eating well and bright and active then I wouldn't be too worried about the fact that her stomach is making noises. Sometimes a cat can have a gurgly, rumbling stomach for no apparent reason.

Has she had a change in her type of food recently? Or has she eaten anything that is unusual to her? If so, then it is not uncommon to hear some stomach noises for a couple of days as her body adjusts to the new food.

If you feel like she may be uncomfortable, it doesn't hurt to give a cat Famotidine (Pepcid) which is a stomach antacid. You can buy it in the pharmacy without a prescription. It comes in a 10 mg size and a normal sized cat can have 1/4 tablet once or twice a day.

If she is not eating and this goes on for more than 24 hours then I would recommend seeing a vet. Or, if you feel that the vomiting is happening more and more frequently then a vet visit (not necessarily an emergency visit though) is a good idea.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

This was very helpful and reassuring. Thank you!

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (18802 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (8507 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (9475 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (7290 views)

Trifexis overdose. My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog... (5133 views)

Bump near anus. My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a... (33782 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (8013 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (7100 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (148908 views)

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (18002 views)