Cat's stomach making noises

Breed: Domestic shorthair
My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This is very unusual for her--we have never noticed this happening before. She also has vomited several times recently, but this is common for her. She does not appear to be losing weight, at least not so far. It is the tummy gurgling we are concerned about. How concerned should we be? Is this an emergency?

What causes a cat's stomach to make noises?

Sometimes a cat can have a gurgly, rumbling stomach for no reason. Here are some other possible reasons for a cat to have loud stomach noises:

• A slightly upset tummy because of a change in food.

• Gastric Stasis - A condition that can cause things to not move out of the stomach quickly enough.

• A response to stress.

• Gastritis as a result of a bacterial, viral or parasitic infection.

There are many other possibilities as well.

The answer to your question really depends on how your cat is is acting. Does she have a normal appetite? Is she quieter than usual today? Does she have any diarrhea?

If she is eating well and bright and active then I wouldn't be too worried about the fact that her stomach is making noises. Sometimes a cat can have a gurgly, rumbling stomach for no apparent reason.

Has she had a change in her type of food recently? Or has she eaten anything that is unusual to her? If so, then it is not uncommon to hear some stomach noises for a couple of days as her body adjusts to the new food.

If you feel like she may be uncomfortable, it doesn't hurt to give a cat Famotidine (Pepcid) which is a stomach antacid. You can buy it in the pharmacy without a prescription. It comes in a 10 mg size and a normal sized cat can have 1/4 tablet once or twice a day.

If she is not eating and this goes on for more than 24 hours then I would recommend seeing a vet. Or, if you feel that the vomiting is happening more and more frequently then a vet visit (not necessarily an emergency visit though) is a good idea.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

This was very helpful and reassuring. Thank you!

Not eating or drinking because lonely? i have a puppy i've had her in the backyard now my sister had an inspection at her... (8805 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (8182 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (12165 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (14765 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (10616 views)

Infection in nose and eye. HI, My dog Bear is 10 yr old black Lab. He weighs 110lb he is overweight, but he is... (8778 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (25418 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (9910 views)

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (69298 views)

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (12139 views)