Cat's stomach making noises

Breed: Domestic shorthair
My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This is very unusual for her--we have never noticed this happening before. She also has vomited several times recently, but this is common for her. She does not appear to be losing weight, at least not so far. It is the tummy gurgling we are concerned about. How concerned should we be? Is this an emergency?

What causes a cat's stomach to make noises?

Sometimes a cat can have a gurgly, rumbling stomach for no reason. Here are some other possible reasons for a cat to have loud stomach noises:

• A slightly upset tummy because of a change in food.

• Gastric Stasis - A condition that can cause things to not move out of the stomach quickly enough.

• A response to stress.

• Gastritis as a result of a bacterial, viral or parasitic infection.

There are many other possibilities as well.

The answer to your question really depends on how your cat is is acting. Does she have a normal appetite? Is she quieter than usual today? Does she have any diarrhea?

If she is eating well and bright and active then I wouldn't be too worried about the fact that her stomach is making noises. Sometimes a cat can have a gurgly, rumbling stomach for no apparent reason.

Has she had a change in her type of food recently? Or has she eaten anything that is unusual to her? If so, then it is not uncommon to hear some stomach noises for a couple of days as her body adjusts to the new food.

If you feel like she may be uncomfortable, it doesn't hurt to give a cat Famotidine (Pepcid) which is a stomach antacid. You can buy it in the pharmacy without a prescription. It comes in a 10 mg size and a normal sized cat can have 1/4 tablet once or twice a day.

If she is not eating and this goes on for more than 24 hours then I would recommend seeing a vet. Or, if you feel that the vomiting is happening more and more frequently then a vet visit (not necessarily an emergency visit though) is a good idea.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

This was very helpful and reassuring. Thank you!

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (10318 views)

Horrible euthanasia experience Why was my pets euthanasia a nightmare? I brought my cat Jack in for euthanasia... (10053 views)

Should dog be euthanized if he bites? We adopted a lab / hound mix dog from a local shelter. They didn't know much about... (11863 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (105090 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7909 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (10002 views)

Dog with swollen face. our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. ... (11960 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (8208 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (10019 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (8790 views)