Polysporin on cats?

Breed: feline
My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on her head. They give me antibiotics which work for about 2
weeks. I am using aloe vera (the plant) on her right now. It does help somewhat. I WONDERED if I COULD USE POLYSPORIN ON HER SORES AS THEY ARE SOMETIMES BLEEDING. i have both adult and children's polysporin if it is okay to use,
NY VET IS VERY EXPENSIVE AND KEEPS DOING THE SAME THINGS TO HER WHICH AREN'T HELPING. i would welcome any advice you can give me. Thanks so much for your time.
Respectfully,
Cathy Pearson

Oh I am sorry to hear about Blizzard's problem. I wouldn't say that this is a common problem. I wonder what the underlying cause is?

Polysporin is usually safe to use on a cat. However, if a cat grooms herself and ingests the polysporin it can cause stomach upset causing vomiting and diarrhea. Also, if you use a type of polysporin that contains pramoxine (a local anesthetic) it can be toxic.

With that being said, however, I do not find that polysporin works well on animals.

One thing that may help, when these sores break out is to make a solution of warm water and epsom salts and then use a cloth to dab the solution on her head. You can do this a few times a day. But, if you're seeing any pus (like thick yellow fluid) then she will need oral antibiotics from your vet.

Sometimes when a cat has sores like this there is an underlying reason. Ideally it would be best to have some blood tests done. Do you know if she has had her thyroid checked lately? I have seen cats with thyroid problems that get sores on their head. Once the thyroid problems are fixed then the sores go away.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions!

Thanks so much for your information. I WILL USE SOME EPSOM SALTS AS WELL AS ALOE VERA. I appreciate your help.
CATHY

You're very welcome. I'd be cautious about using aloe however. If you are using the sap from the plant it can be very irritating to the stomach and intestines if ingested.

Hope things heal up soon!

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (10617 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (20488 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (13113 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (8802 views)

Dog licks my nose. Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back... (46475 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (7196 views)

Cat is dying. I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was... (11035 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (15338 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (10762 views)

Hamster escaping out lid. hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten... (7906 views)