Polysporin on cats?

Breed: feline
My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on her head. They give me antibiotics which work for about 2
weeks. I am using aloe vera (the plant) on her right now. It does help somewhat. I WONDERED if I COULD USE POLYSPORIN ON HER SORES AS THEY ARE SOMETIMES BLEEDING. i have both adult and children's polysporin if it is okay to use,
NY VET IS VERY EXPENSIVE AND KEEPS DOING THE SAME THINGS TO HER WHICH AREN'T HELPING. i would welcome any advice you can give me. Thanks so much for your time.
Respectfully,
Cathy Pearson

Oh I am sorry to hear about Blizzard's problem. I wouldn't say that this is a common problem. I wonder what the underlying cause is?

Polysporin is usually safe to use on a cat. However, if a cat grooms herself and ingests the polysporin it can cause stomach upset causing vomiting and diarrhea. Also, if you use a type of polysporin that contains pramoxine (a local anesthetic) it can be toxic.

With that being said, however, I do not find that polysporin works well on animals.

One thing that may help, when these sores break out is to make a solution of warm water and epsom salts and then use a cloth to dab the solution on her head. You can do this a few times a day. But, if you're seeing any pus (like thick yellow fluid) then she will need oral antibiotics from your vet.

Sometimes when a cat has sores like this there is an underlying reason. Ideally it would be best to have some blood tests done. Do you know if she has had her thyroid checked lately? I have seen cats with thyroid problems that get sores on their head. Once the thyroid problems are fixed then the sores go away.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions!

Thanks so much for your information. I WILL USE SOME EPSOM SALTS AS WELL AS ALOE VERA. I appreciate your help.
CATHY

You're very welcome. I'd be cautious about using aloe however. If you are using the sap from the plant it can be very irritating to the stomach and intestines if ingested.

Hope things heal up soon!

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (7914 views)

Puppy has red weepy eyes. my puppies eyelids on the inside are very red and his eyes have been weeping a lot,... (9895 views)

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (8945 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (25063 views)

Dog ate foam padding. Hi Dr, At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow... (85902 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (18354 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (10428 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (5712 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (16354 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (62917 views)