Polysporin on cats?

Breed: feline
My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on her head. They give me antibiotics which work for about 2
weeks. I am using aloe vera (the plant) on her right now. It does help somewhat. I WONDERED if I COULD USE POLYSPORIN ON HER SORES AS THEY ARE SOMETIMES BLEEDING. i have both adult and children's polysporin if it is okay to use,
NY VET IS VERY EXPENSIVE AND KEEPS DOING THE SAME THINGS TO HER WHICH AREN'T HELPING. i would welcome any advice you can give me. Thanks so much for your time.
Respectfully,
Cathy Pearson

Oh I am sorry to hear about Blizzard's problem. I wouldn't say that this is a common problem. I wonder what the underlying cause is?

Polysporin is usually safe to use on a cat. However, if a cat grooms herself and ingests the polysporin it can cause stomach upset causing vomiting and diarrhea. Also, if you use a type of polysporin that contains pramoxine (a local anesthetic) it can be toxic.

With that being said, however, I do not find that polysporin works well on animals.

One thing that may help, when these sores break out is to make a solution of warm water and epsom salts and then use a cloth to dab the solution on her head. You can do this a few times a day. But, if you're seeing any pus (like thick yellow fluid) then she will need oral antibiotics from your vet.

Sometimes when a cat has sores like this there is an underlying reason. Ideally it would be best to have some blood tests done. Do you know if she has had her thyroid checked lately? I have seen cats with thyroid problems that get sores on their head. Once the thyroid problems are fixed then the sores go away.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions!

Thanks so much for your information. I WILL USE SOME EPSOM SALTS AS WELL AS ALOE VERA. I appreciate your help.
CATHY

You're very welcome. I'd be cautious about using aloe however. If you are using the sap from the plant it can be very irritating to the stomach and intestines if ingested.

Hope things heal up soon!

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (14747 views)

Blood in stools. My dog has bright red blood in his stools. He is in good form, jumping around and... (9244 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (8805 views)

Sending dog to UK. My cats were given Killed Virus 3 year vaccine (Fort Dodge Rabvac 3TF) at 4 months... (5832 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (7065 views)

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (9633 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (22206 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (6471 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (5614 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma. Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and... (12848 views)