Dog pees when excited.

Breed: chihuahua
comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to also fix him. he pee's when he's excited and extremly fat for his size we don't let him roame because to scared what he'll do. what can i do so i might not have to get rid of him? need your help!!!! please!

Thanks for your question.

Comit's problem with peeing when he is excited is not likely to be related to the hernia and neuter surgery.

There are a number of reasons for a dog to pee when he is excited.

The first thing I would recommend is to have your vet do some urine tests to be sure there is no medical problem. If he had something causing irritation in the bladder such as an infection or crystals then this would make him more likely to leak urine when he is excited.

If this is not the case then you can work on activities that help to build up his confidence. Obedience classes are great for this. A confident dog is much less likely to have excitement urination.

Another thing that would really help is to get him to lose weight. Cut out all treats and measure out how much food he gets and give him lots of walks. When a dog is overweight, the extra fat in the abdomen can push on the bladder and cause him to have trouble holding his urine.

I hope this helps!

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (11393 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (7767 views)

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (10664 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (23586 views)

Backward sneezing and drooling. Firstly I am doing this om my iPhone . I can get email but can not send so please... (23965 views)

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (6617 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (26680 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (7256 views)

Is Raid toxic to cats? My fiance lives in Florida and sprays Raid insecticide to kill bugs. In a few months... (131779 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (6176 views)