Dog pees when excited.

Breed: chihuahua
comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to also fix him. he pee's when he's excited and extremly fat for his size we don't let him roame because to scared what he'll do. what can i do so i might not have to get rid of him? need your help!!!! please!

Thanks for your question.

Comit's problem with peeing when he is excited is not likely to be related to the hernia and neuter surgery.

There are a number of reasons for a dog to pee when he is excited.

The first thing I would recommend is to have your vet do some urine tests to be sure there is no medical problem. If he had something causing irritation in the bladder such as an infection or crystals then this would make him more likely to leak urine when he is excited.

If this is not the case then you can work on activities that help to build up his confidence. Obedience classes are great for this. A confident dog is much less likely to have excitement urination.

Another thing that would really help is to get him to lose weight. Cut out all treats and measure out how much food he gets and give him lots of walks. When a dog is overweight, the extra fat in the abdomen can push on the bladder and cause him to have trouble holding his urine.

I hope this helps!

Coughing dog. I have two very healthy Min Pins. Well I had two healthy dogs. Last weekend we... (4153 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (5004 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (27977 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (112598 views)

Possible rabies. Hello, My dog bit me, on my arm, exactly 10 days ago. Today is the 10th day and he... (8808 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (8199 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (6856 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (4539 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (7419 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (19680 views)