Dog pees when excited.

Breed: chihuahua
comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to also fix him. he pee's when he's excited and extremly fat for his size we don't let him roame because to scared what he'll do. what can i do so i might not have to get rid of him? need your help!!!! please!

Thanks for your question.

Comit's problem with peeing when he is excited is not likely to be related to the hernia and neuter surgery.

There are a number of reasons for a dog to pee when he is excited.

The first thing I would recommend is to have your vet do some urine tests to be sure there is no medical problem. If he had something causing irritation in the bladder such as an infection or crystals then this would make him more likely to leak urine when he is excited.

If this is not the case then you can work on activities that help to build up his confidence. Obedience classes are great for this. A confident dog is much less likely to have excitement urination.

Another thing that would really help is to get him to lose weight. Cut out all treats and measure out how much food he gets and give him lots of walks. When a dog is overweight, the extra fat in the abdomen can push on the bladder and cause him to have trouble holding his urine.

I hope this helps!

How long is FIP contagious? Hi Marie. Here's my situation. Adopted Charlie in August 2010. On March 1, this year... (16287 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (8499 views)

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (5489 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (43295 views)

Getting a second guinea pig. So I have a male guinea pig and one of my friends can't keep hers so she is gonna... (8412 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (14762 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (14396 views)

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (8374 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (48873 views)

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (17118 views)