Dog pees when excited.

Breed: chihuahua
comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to also fix him. he pee's when he's excited and extremly fat for his size we don't let him roame because to scared what he'll do. what can i do so i might not have to get rid of him? need your help!!!! please!

Thanks for your question.

Comit's problem with peeing when he is excited is not likely to be related to the hernia and neuter surgery.

There are a number of reasons for a dog to pee when he is excited.

The first thing I would recommend is to have your vet do some urine tests to be sure there is no medical problem. If he had something causing irritation in the bladder such as an infection or crystals then this would make him more likely to leak urine when he is excited.

If this is not the case then you can work on activities that help to build up his confidence. Obedience classes are great for this. A confident dog is much less likely to have excitement urination.

Another thing that would really help is to get him to lose weight. Cut out all treats and measure out how much food he gets and give him lots of walks. When a dog is overweight, the extra fat in the abdomen can push on the bladder and cause him to have trouble holding his urine.

I hope this helps!

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (5482 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (15903 views)

Puppy stepped on. my 7 wk old pure staffie has just been accidently stood on by one foot of my 14-15... (40030 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (8307 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (14433 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (32461 views)

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (13143 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (30795 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (16149 views)

Great Dane footpad problems. I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her... (11894 views)