Lance abscess?

Breed: American/blue nose p
My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few days later. there was some seriouse swelling around his neck now the swelling has all gathered into a softball size knot on his chest. It doesn't bother him, he tries to lick it but he cant reach the spot it is. Should I try to drain it? It is not red or hot to the touch I don't believe it to be an infection.

This definitely sounds like an abscess. Definitely do not try to drain this at home.

An abscess usually does need draining, but quite often in a dog this needs to be done with an anesthetic. In cats, often a vet can very quickly rupture an abscess with a scalpel blade but we don't do this often in dogs.

I once had a case where I had a dog with an abscess on the neck. The owners had very little money and they convinced me to try lancing it without an anesthetic. I was a brand new grad at the time...now I know better. I lanced the abscess and it turned out it was right over the jugular vein. I ended up cutting into the vein and the dog began bleeding profusely. The dog ended up being ok, but I had to administer a full anesthetic and do some frantic surgery to cut down to the vein and stitch up the damage. If this had happened in someone's home the dog likely would have died.

If there is an abscess it is not going to heal without antibiotics. Your dog will definitely need to see a vet.

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (11310 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (9160 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (6826 views)

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (14025 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (6300 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (211735 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (6593 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (6276 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (9825 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (7797 views)