Young cat died after sneezing.

Breed: DSH
I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize.

I had four kittens in my care, recently just adopted out one kitten. The kitten was very small, about 16 weeks. Had all shots, dewormed, and was free of fleas. 1 week after he was adopted into his new home, the owner called me to tell me that he was dead one morning. He did say a very little amount of sneezing was present.

This kitten was housed with three other kittens I was taking care of. I am worried about them developing a URI if that kitten was incubating the disease or was spreading it. The other kittens were vaccinated the day they came in.

Picture of three remaining kittens here: http://s18.postimg.org/cv5c7ksy1/DSC08545.jpg

Should I go ahead and start antibiotics as a precautionary measure since one of the kitties have sneezed a few times or should I wait until I see more signs that point to disease?

Is there any other things I can do to prepare for an upper respiratory infection and help them survive if they are incubating it? I do have some vet tech experience with giving shots and meds. I am just worried and mad at myself for paring them together, I was just hurting for space at the time.

Thanks much.

I'm sorry to hear about this poor little kitty.

I am suspicious that there was something other than a respiratory infection that was responsible for this cat's death. While a respiratory infection can be fatal, you would see a lot more than just a little sneezing.

If a young cat dies suddenly I wonder about a heart condition such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This would be something that he would have been born with and there really is nothing that you would want to do with the other cats as it would not be something contagious.

Antibiotics are not necessary for these cats. If there is a respiratory virus, the virus won't be killed by antibiotics. However, if a cat gets a virus and it gets to the point where there is green nasal discharge it may be that there is also a secondary bacterial infection. If that happens then you can talk to a vet about getting some antibiotics.

It is possible that the deceased kitty had a virus that was affecting his immune system such as FIV, FIP or Feline Leukemia virus. If this is the case then it is possible that the other cats have this too. You could have them tested, but there is no cure for these viruses so testing would not change much. However, once again, even with one of these viruses I would not expect a cat to die without seeing severe illness first.

I'm sorry that I don't have an exact answer for you, but the odds are high that this was an isolated event and the other cats should be ok.

They may still get an upper respiratory virus so keep an eye on them. If you are noticing green nasal or eye discharge or reluctance to eat then a vet visit is a good idea.

Surgery on 14 year old dog. Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark... (12334 views)

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (9936 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (7102 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (24466 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (22977 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (27297 views)

Fontline and Advantix. My I treated my dog with Frontline Plus 2 weeks ago and it's not preventing ticks... (8264 views)

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (9735 views)

Vomiting yorkie. Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that... (22602 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (33436 views)