Young cat died after sneezing.

Breed: DSH
I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize.

I had four kittens in my care, recently just adopted out one kitten. The kitten was very small, about 16 weeks. Had all shots, dewormed, and was free of fleas. 1 week after he was adopted into his new home, the owner called me to tell me that he was dead one morning. He did say a very little amount of sneezing was present.

This kitten was housed with three other kittens I was taking care of. I am worried about them developing a URI if that kitten was incubating the disease or was spreading it. The other kittens were vaccinated the day they came in.

Picture of three remaining kittens here: http://s18.postimg.org/cv5c7ksy1/DSC08545.jpg

Should I go ahead and start antibiotics as a precautionary measure since one of the kitties have sneezed a few times or should I wait until I see more signs that point to disease?

Is there any other things I can do to prepare for an upper respiratory infection and help them survive if they are incubating it? I do have some vet tech experience with giving shots and meds. I am just worried and mad at myself for paring them together, I was just hurting for space at the time.

Thanks much.

I'm sorry to hear about this poor little kitty.

I am suspicious that there was something other than a respiratory infection that was responsible for this cat's death. While a respiratory infection can be fatal, you would see a lot more than just a little sneezing.

If a young cat dies suddenly I wonder about a heart condition such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This would be something that he would have been born with and there really is nothing that you would want to do with the other cats as it would not be something contagious.

Antibiotics are not necessary for these cats. If there is a respiratory virus, the virus won't be killed by antibiotics. However, if a cat gets a virus and it gets to the point where there is green nasal discharge it may be that there is also a secondary bacterial infection. If that happens then you can talk to a vet about getting some antibiotics.

It is possible that the deceased kitty had a virus that was affecting his immune system such as FIV, FIP or Feline Leukemia virus. If this is the case then it is possible that the other cats have this too. You could have them tested, but there is no cure for these viruses so testing would not change much. However, once again, even with one of these viruses I would not expect a cat to die without seeing severe illness first.

I'm sorry that I don't have an exact answer for you, but the odds are high that this was an isolated event and the other cats should be ok.

They may still get an upper respiratory virus so keep an eye on them. If you are noticing green nasal or eye discharge or reluctance to eat then a vet visit is a good idea.

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (7816 views)

Lentigo? My cat has weird dark spots on the bald part in front of the ear canal. They look... (14198 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (10838 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (9864 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (27329 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (15724 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (10322 views)

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (30746 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (40870 views)

Newborn puppy not eating. Well yesterday my presious had puppys she had two, and about two to three hours... (12030 views)