Dog is losing weight.

Breed: Min Pin
I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always been obese. We give her Beggin' strips throughout the day; she always has dry food (Beneful) and she gets 1/2 can of wet food at night. She also got fed human food.

For the wet food: It was Purina One before and recently switched over to Pedigree a couple of months ago.

Ever since we switched her over I'm seeing a noticeable weight loss. I'm concerned. Is it possible that she's losing weight because we switched to Pedigree and stopped the people food altogether? The only exercise she has is running around the house and yard. Her waist is trimmed and I can feel her rib cage now. She still eats a lot, plays and seems happy. Should I be worried?

This is an interesting question!

I'm pleased that you are making healthier choices for Lulu. I'm assuming that you have cut out the Beggin' strips? These things are really not healthy at all. It's definitely possible that cutting out treats and human food could contribute to weight loss.

How is her appetite? If she was losing weight and not wanting to eat then I might be concerned.

Is she vomiting or does she have diarrhea? This could be a cause for concern?

How is her thirst? If she is drinking a lot of water then this could be a sign of diabetes which could definitely cause her to lose weight.

But, if she is eating well, not excessively thirsty and still a happy dog then there is likely not anything to worry about.

Hi Dr,

Thanks for replying.

She still gets the beggin strips - every morning and at night. She has no loss of appetite. No vomiting.

She still eats everything and still lingers around for more. But today I noticed that her nose is dry. It's not wet at all. My brother in law said she might have a fever if her nose is dry.... is that true?

I tried to find some of her poop - its moist but not diarrhea. Not 100% sure about the water intake though.

Is it possible that she's able to digest the Pedigree brand better than the Purina One? There's both commercial brands (not so great)

Thanks

Hmmm...if we're losing this much weight but still eating beggin strips every day then I think I'm concerned.

The whole thing with a dog having a dry nose is an old wive's tale. It doesn't matter whether a dog's nose is dry or wet.

Pedigree and Purina One are quite similar nutrition so this probably isn't the issue.

I think it really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at her. It could be that she has some parasites. Another possibility is a pancreas condition called exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI). This condition causes dogs to not be able to absorb their foods properly. But, it's relatively rare. And then diabetes is a possibility as well.

I really hope everything is ok!

Cat has poop stuck to bum. My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She... (10182 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (10249 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (7670 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (41065 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (10034 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (19386 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (6312 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (14110 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (13007 views)

Where can I buy Tramadol? Steve has a degenerative disease.He is doing well.I give him steroids almost every... (49876 views)