Dog is losing weight.

Breed: Min Pin
I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always been obese. We give her Beggin' strips throughout the day; she always has dry food (Beneful) and she gets 1/2 can of wet food at night. She also got fed human food.

For the wet food: It was Purina One before and recently switched over to Pedigree a couple of months ago.

Ever since we switched her over I'm seeing a noticeable weight loss. I'm concerned. Is it possible that she's losing weight because we switched to Pedigree and stopped the people food altogether? The only exercise she has is running around the house and yard. Her waist is trimmed and I can feel her rib cage now. She still eats a lot, plays and seems happy. Should I be worried?

This is an interesting question!

I'm pleased that you are making healthier choices for Lulu. I'm assuming that you have cut out the Beggin' strips? These things are really not healthy at all. It's definitely possible that cutting out treats and human food could contribute to weight loss.

How is her appetite? If she was losing weight and not wanting to eat then I might be concerned.

Is she vomiting or does she have diarrhea? This could be a cause for concern?

How is her thirst? If she is drinking a lot of water then this could be a sign of diabetes which could definitely cause her to lose weight.

But, if she is eating well, not excessively thirsty and still a happy dog then there is likely not anything to worry about.

Hi Dr,

Thanks for replying.

She still gets the beggin strips - every morning and at night. She has no loss of appetite. No vomiting.

She still eats everything and still lingers around for more. But today I noticed that her nose is dry. It's not wet at all. My brother in law said she might have a fever if her nose is dry.... is that true?

I tried to find some of her poop - its moist but not diarrhea. Not 100% sure about the water intake though.

Is it possible that she's able to digest the Pedigree brand better than the Purina One? There's both commercial brands (not so great)

Thanks

Hmmm...if we're losing this much weight but still eating beggin strips every day then I think I'm concerned.

The whole thing with a dog having a dry nose is an old wive's tale. It doesn't matter whether a dog's nose is dry or wet.

Pedigree and Purina One are quite similar nutrition so this probably isn't the issue.

I think it really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at her. It could be that she has some parasites. Another possibility is a pancreas condition called exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI). This condition causes dogs to not be able to absorb their foods properly. But, it's relatively rare. And then diabetes is a possibility as well.

I really hope everything is ok!

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (8473 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (9047 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (6675 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (12195 views)

Cat hardly eating. my cat has recemtly been in the catery. since returning she has hardly eaten and is... (11265 views)

Metronidazole side effects? My Dog had a surgery Dec 9. The Doctor removed a tumor from his small intestine. He... (15846 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (4869 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (92704 views)

Should dog with cancer be euthanized? Ben was diagnosed with a Grade III mast cell tumor last February. We had it... (16632 views)

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (33818 views)