Dog is losing weight.

Breed: Min Pin
I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always been obese. We give her Beggin' strips throughout the day; she always has dry food (Beneful) and she gets 1/2 can of wet food at night. She also got fed human food.

For the wet food: It was Purina One before and recently switched over to Pedigree a couple of months ago.

Ever since we switched her over I'm seeing a noticeable weight loss. I'm concerned. Is it possible that she's losing weight because we switched to Pedigree and stopped the people food altogether? The only exercise she has is running around the house and yard. Her waist is trimmed and I can feel her rib cage now. She still eats a lot, plays and seems happy. Should I be worried?

This is an interesting question!

I'm pleased that you are making healthier choices for Lulu. I'm assuming that you have cut out the Beggin' strips? These things are really not healthy at all. It's definitely possible that cutting out treats and human food could contribute to weight loss.

How is her appetite? If she was losing weight and not wanting to eat then I might be concerned.

Is she vomiting or does she have diarrhea? This could be a cause for concern?

How is her thirst? If she is drinking a lot of water then this could be a sign of diabetes which could definitely cause her to lose weight.

But, if she is eating well, not excessively thirsty and still a happy dog then there is likely not anything to worry about.

Hi Dr,

Thanks for replying.

She still gets the beggin strips - every morning and at night. She has no loss of appetite. No vomiting.

She still eats everything and still lingers around for more. But today I noticed that her nose is dry. It's not wet at all. My brother in law said she might have a fever if her nose is dry.... is that true?

I tried to find some of her poop - its moist but not diarrhea. Not 100% sure about the water intake though.

Is it possible that she's able to digest the Pedigree brand better than the Purina One? There's both commercial brands (not so great)

Thanks

Hmmm...if we're losing this much weight but still eating beggin strips every day then I think I'm concerned.

The whole thing with a dog having a dry nose is an old wive's tale. It doesn't matter whether a dog's nose is dry or wet.

Pedigree and Purina One are quite similar nutrition so this probably isn't the issue.

I think it really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at her. It could be that she has some parasites. Another possibility is a pancreas condition called exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI). This condition causes dogs to not be able to absorb their foods properly. But, it's relatively rare. And then diabetes is a possibility as well.

I really hope everything is ok!

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (9495 views)

Mast Cell tumor? This past Saturday afternoon I was petting my dog and I noticed a small bump under... (21871 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (12582 views)

Help cats to get along. Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland. I have a cat thats 8 months old... (7812 views)

Lethargic after Trifexis. Hello, Thank you for your help. My beagle, Daisy (25 lbs), ate her dose of... (25002 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (6385 views)

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (19034 views)

Eucalyptus for fleas. I was washing my 8week old puppy and pored a large amount of Eucalyptus Oil on him..... (14399 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (50222 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (10377 views)