Dog is losing weight.

Breed: Min Pin
I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always been obese. We give her Beggin' strips throughout the day; she always has dry food (Beneful) and she gets 1/2 can of wet food at night. She also got fed human food.

For the wet food: It was Purina One before and recently switched over to Pedigree a couple of months ago.

Ever since we switched her over I'm seeing a noticeable weight loss. I'm concerned. Is it possible that she's losing weight because we switched to Pedigree and stopped the people food altogether? The only exercise she has is running around the house and yard. Her waist is trimmed and I can feel her rib cage now. She still eats a lot, plays and seems happy. Should I be worried?

This is an interesting question!

I'm pleased that you are making healthier choices for Lulu. I'm assuming that you have cut out the Beggin' strips? These things are really not healthy at all. It's definitely possible that cutting out treats and human food could contribute to weight loss.

How is her appetite? If she was losing weight and not wanting to eat then I might be concerned.

Is she vomiting or does she have diarrhea? This could be a cause for concern?

How is her thirst? If she is drinking a lot of water then this could be a sign of diabetes which could definitely cause her to lose weight.

But, if she is eating well, not excessively thirsty and still a happy dog then there is likely not anything to worry about.

Hi Dr,

Thanks for replying.

She still gets the beggin strips - every morning and at night. She has no loss of appetite. No vomiting.

She still eats everything and still lingers around for more. But today I noticed that her nose is dry. It's not wet at all. My brother in law said she might have a fever if her nose is dry.... is that true?

I tried to find some of her poop - its moist but not diarrhea. Not 100% sure about the water intake though.

Is it possible that she's able to digest the Pedigree brand better than the Purina One? There's both commercial brands (not so great)

Thanks

Hmmm...if we're losing this much weight but still eating beggin strips every day then I think I'm concerned.

The whole thing with a dog having a dry nose is an old wive's tale. It doesn't matter whether a dog's nose is dry or wet.

Pedigree and Purina One are quite similar nutrition so this probably isn't the issue.

I think it really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at her. It could be that she has some parasites. Another possibility is a pancreas condition called exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI). This condition causes dogs to not be able to absorb their foods properly. But, it's relatively rare. And then diabetes is a possibility as well.

I really hope everything is ok!

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (6995 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (19824 views)

Frequent urination in puppy. Dr. Marie, We have a brand new 7 week old bullmastiff female, named June...I have... (25924 views)

Eye closed in hamster. My hamster has one eye closed all the time. There are no other hamsters living with... (30985 views)

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (15880 views)

Cosequin questions Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left... (13655 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (16148 views)

Achilles tendon problems in cat. Chloe recently started walking with her heel down to the ground on the right side(2... (11071 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (8737 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (30280 views)