Kitten has a cold and is congested.

Breed: alley cat
the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be a cold and both eyes are congested. He sees very good but this condition seems to 'hang on'. Is it possible to put murine in his eyes?

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that little Smokey is not well.

It does sound like he has an upper respiratory virus. These are really common in kittens. These viruses can cause runny eyes and a runny nose as well.

The good news is that most of these kittens get over a virus on their own. It can take several weeks and sometimes even 2 months for kittens to get completely better.

Murine is not likely to help very much. If the eyes have mostly a clear discharge then the best thing you can do is to wipe them with a warm cloth as many times a day as necessary. But, if there is a yellow or green discharge from the eyes then they will need to be treated with antibiotic drops. Unfortunately these are prescription products which need to be prescribed by a vet.

It does not hurt to try polysporin or neosporin drops but usually the antibiotic part of this medication is not strong enough to work if there is infection there.

One thing that may help him to fight the virus more quickly is an amino acid supplement called Lysine. Most cats will eat this product quite willingly and it usually helps speed up the recovery from a virus.

Is Smokey eating ok? If his appetite is good then this is a great sign. If he won't eat well then you can try to heat up some canned food. This will increase the odor of the food and make it easier to smell when his nose is stuffed up. But, if he really is not eating well he may need to see the vet for antibiotics.

If he sounds congested it will help to run a hot shower and get the bathroom steamy and then leave him in the bathroom for 10 minutes.

I hope that helps and I hope he is better soon!

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (45340 views)

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (8133 views)

Blood behind dog's ears. I noticed a couple of days ago what looked like mud behind her ears, now it's bloody... (33565 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (13231 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (5872 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (7799 views)

Infection in neuter incision? My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the... (54852 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (10646 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (6576 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (6545 views)