Kitten has a cold and is congested.

Breed: alley cat
the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be a cold and both eyes are congested. He sees very good but this condition seems to 'hang on'. Is it possible to put murine in his eyes?

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that little Smokey is not well.

It does sound like he has an upper respiratory virus. These are really common in kittens. These viruses can cause runny eyes and a runny nose as well.

The good news is that most of these kittens get over a virus on their own. It can take several weeks and sometimes even 2 months for kittens to get completely better.

Murine is not likely to help very much. If the eyes have mostly a clear discharge then the best thing you can do is to wipe them with a warm cloth as many times a day as necessary. But, if there is a yellow or green discharge from the eyes then they will need to be treated with antibiotic drops. Unfortunately these are prescription products which need to be prescribed by a vet.

It does not hurt to try polysporin or neosporin drops but usually the antibiotic part of this medication is not strong enough to work if there is infection there.

One thing that may help him to fight the virus more quickly is an amino acid supplement called Lysine. Most cats will eat this product quite willingly and it usually helps speed up the recovery from a virus.

Is Smokey eating ok? If his appetite is good then this is a great sign. If he won't eat well then you can try to heat up some canned food. This will increase the odor of the food and make it easier to smell when his nose is stuffed up. But, if he really is not eating well he may need to see the vet for antibiotics.

If he sounds congested it will help to run a hot shower and get the bathroom steamy and then leave him in the bathroom for 10 minutes.

I hope that helps and I hope he is better soon!

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (6060 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (8548 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (8324 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (88681 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (9550 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (10970 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (13182 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (28190 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (10112 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (40902 views)