Itchy and meowing.

Breed: Mix
Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's missing fur on the top of her head not eating to well but drinking a lot of water she has been acting strange wants to be alone meowing loudly and now she's been in the shower by her self with the curtain closed

Hmmm...this is a tough question to answer.

There really is nothing that I can think of that can connect itchiness and wanting to hide away in the shower. So, let's look at each oft these separately.

The most common reason for itchiness at this time of year is fleas, even in an indoor cat. Fleas can come in on your pantleg or on another animal (if for example you have a dog who goes in and out.) It's often hard to find fleas, especially if there are only one or two. It's not a bad idea to talk to your vet about a prescription flea control product.

My other concern is that Carmal is definitely a senior at 14 years of age. Sometimes if a cat is fighting an illness they can have hair loss and have strange activities like wanting to be alone and meowing lots. However, the hair loss isn't usually associated with itchiness.

If Carmal did have an age related illness, her immune system could be more susceptible to something like ringworm.

Carmal is not on thyroid medicine is she? I have seen some cats on thyroid medicine get bald patches on their face when the dose is too high.

At this point the absolute best thing you can do for her is to have the vet do a good thorough exam and probably a blood profile.

I wish I could give you a more exact answer, but it really does sound like she should have a checkup.

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (8799 views)

Puppies are dying after fire. We just got a couple of pit puppies, 2 weeks old - the mother dog died in a house... (8098 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (24665 views)

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (8451 views)

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (9419 views)

Is my dog pregnant? my dog had puppies about 7 months ago and i wasn't home often to make sure her and... (15605 views)

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (26506 views)

Chronic ehrlichiosis treatment. I have a 7 year old Black Russian Terrier that was diagnosed 1 year ago with... (16299 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (8924 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (49732 views)