Itchy and meowing.

Breed: Mix
Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's missing fur on the top of her head not eating to well but drinking a lot of water she has been acting strange wants to be alone meowing loudly and now she's been in the shower by her self with the curtain closed

Hmmm...this is a tough question to answer.

There really is nothing that I can think of that can connect itchiness and wanting to hide away in the shower. So, let's look at each oft these separately.

The most common reason for itchiness at this time of year is fleas, even in an indoor cat. Fleas can come in on your pantleg or on another animal (if for example you have a dog who goes in and out.) It's often hard to find fleas, especially if there are only one or two. It's not a bad idea to talk to your vet about a prescription flea control product.

My other concern is that Carmal is definitely a senior at 14 years of age. Sometimes if a cat is fighting an illness they can have hair loss and have strange activities like wanting to be alone and meowing lots. However, the hair loss isn't usually associated with itchiness.

If Carmal did have an age related illness, her immune system could be more susceptible to something like ringworm.

Carmal is not on thyroid medicine is she? I have seen some cats on thyroid medicine get bald patches on their face when the dose is too high.

At this point the absolute best thing you can do for her is to have the vet do a good thorough exam and probably a blood profile.

I wish I could give you a more exact answer, but it really does sound like she should have a checkup.

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (17675 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (13616 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (12335 views)

Ear infection. last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4... (21503 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (6950 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (9540 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (51884 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (40238 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (11246 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (8562 views)