Itchy and meowing.

Breed: Mix
Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's missing fur on the top of her head not eating to well but drinking a lot of water she has been acting strange wants to be alone meowing loudly and now she's been in the shower by her self with the curtain closed

Hmmm...this is a tough question to answer.

There really is nothing that I can think of that can connect itchiness and wanting to hide away in the shower. So, let's look at each oft these separately.

The most common reason for itchiness at this time of year is fleas, even in an indoor cat. Fleas can come in on your pantleg or on another animal (if for example you have a dog who goes in and out.) It's often hard to find fleas, especially if there are only one or two. It's not a bad idea to talk to your vet about a prescription flea control product.

My other concern is that Carmal is definitely a senior at 14 years of age. Sometimes if a cat is fighting an illness they can have hair loss and have strange activities like wanting to be alone and meowing lots. However, the hair loss isn't usually associated with itchiness.

If Carmal did have an age related illness, her immune system could be more susceptible to something like ringworm.

Carmal is not on thyroid medicine is she? I have seen some cats on thyroid medicine get bald patches on their face when the dose is too high.

At this point the absolute best thing you can do for her is to have the vet do a good thorough exam and probably a blood profile.

I wish I could give you a more exact answer, but it really does sound like she should have a checkup.

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (15386 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (43005 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (10863 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (7712 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (7366 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (18944 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (16042 views)

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (25223 views)

Is Frontline working for fleas? I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner... (18516 views)

Ferret with hair loss and wobbliness. My ferett has lost all hair on back and i came home today and he is extremly wobbly... (19335 views)