Itchy and meowing.

Breed: Mix
Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's missing fur on the top of her head not eating to well but drinking a lot of water she has been acting strange wants to be alone meowing loudly and now she's been in the shower by her self with the curtain closed

Hmmm...this is a tough question to answer.

There really is nothing that I can think of that can connect itchiness and wanting to hide away in the shower. So, let's look at each oft these separately.

The most common reason for itchiness at this time of year is fleas, even in an indoor cat. Fleas can come in on your pantleg or on another animal (if for example you have a dog who goes in and out.) It's often hard to find fleas, especially if there are only one or two. It's not a bad idea to talk to your vet about a prescription flea control product.

My other concern is that Carmal is definitely a senior at 14 years of age. Sometimes if a cat is fighting an illness they can have hair loss and have strange activities like wanting to be alone and meowing lots. However, the hair loss isn't usually associated with itchiness.

If Carmal did have an age related illness, her immune system could be more susceptible to something like ringworm.

Carmal is not on thyroid medicine is she? I have seen some cats on thyroid medicine get bald patches on their face when the dose is too high.

At this point the absolute best thing you can do for her is to have the vet do a good thorough exam and probably a blood profile.

I wish I could give you a more exact answer, but it really does sound like she should have a checkup.

Tubes in dogs ears? our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet... (16618 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (14237 views)

Dwarf hamsters fighting. HI DOC. , I HAVE 2 DWARF HAMSTERS FEMALES , WHICH I BOUGHT TOGETHER AT A VERY... (13277 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (11167 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (4819 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (12620 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (6416 views)

Heart rate for a cat. Dear Dr.Marie I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart... (10332 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (18824 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (16802 views)