Cat with a cold.

Breed: calico
My cat has a cold, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do at home for her other than giving her a little vitamin c and wet food for hydration.

Thanks for your question. Do cats get colds? Not really. But there are some respiratory viruses that can cause symptoms like a human cold.

If a cat is just sneezing I don't usually treat it with anything.

If a cat is really stuffed up then sometimes they need antibiotics. If you are seeing a green or yellow discharge from the eyes or nose then Socks will need to see a vet to get some antibiotics.

One thing that helps to relieve the symptoms of a respiratory virus in a cat is Lysine which helps to stop the virus from reproducing.

Another thing that can help if she is really stuffed up is to run the shower and get the bathroom really steamy and then leave her in the bathroom for 10 minutes. The steam will help to relieve the congestion.

Cats make their own vitamin C so there is no benefit in giving her any vitamin C.

I hope she does ok!

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (6046 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (14201 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (6198 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (18184 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (12343 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in pregnancy. My dog has had 1 or 2 ties and it's been about a week now and she's starting to have... (5707 views)

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (31703 views)

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (6104 views)

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (10646 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (14495 views)