Cat with a cold.

Breed: calico
My cat has a cold, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do at home for her other than giving her a little vitamin c and wet food for hydration.

Thanks for your question. Do cats get colds? Not really. But there are some respiratory viruses that can cause symptoms like a human cold.

If a cat is just sneezing I don't usually treat it with anything.

If a cat is really stuffed up then sometimes they need antibiotics. If you are seeing a green or yellow discharge from the eyes or nose then Socks will need to see a vet to get some antibiotics.

One thing that helps to relieve the symptoms of a respiratory virus in a cat is Lysine which helps to stop the virus from reproducing.

Another thing that can help if she is really stuffed up is to run the shower and get the bathroom really steamy and then leave her in the bathroom for 10 minutes. The steam will help to relieve the congestion.

Cats make their own vitamin C so there is no benefit in giving her any vitamin C.

I hope she does ok!

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (7839 views)

Both dogs having seizures I have 2 dogs. Molly the mixbreed started acting strange about a week ago. not... (12469 views)

Trifexis side effects I just read your article about Trifexis and was very disturbed. We have three... (8517 views)

Frontline and bathing. Hi Dr. Marie, I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a... (27827 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (12700 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (16426 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (14876 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (19349 views)

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (11233 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (9385 views)