Feeding chicken liver to dogs.

Breed: Jack Russell mix
I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his evening meal usually ground chicken or beef with rice and shredded carrots. What is your opinion of feeding dogs chicken livers? I would like to give him the livers, but some people say they are bad for dogs.
Thank you!
Dianne

Thanks for an excellent question Dianne!

I have no issues at all with you feeding some chicken liver to your dog. However I would only recommend it cooked, not raw. Raw chicken liver could potentially carry salmonella or other bacteria.

My rule of thumb when supplementing your dog's diet with healthy home cooked food is that the "non dog food" should not make up more than 50% of his calories.

Also, if Petey has not had liver before, then it's best to start off with just a very small amount and gradually increase the amount he gets each day (or every couple of days.) If you suddenly give him a large amount of liver he could get some stomach upset.

Thank you very much! I definitely plan to cook the livers and serve him Just one every couple of days. Great website!

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (26507 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (10521 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (29455 views)

Does cat have cancer? Dear Dr Marie, I am sending this letter in order to ask your advice about the... (14584 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (10559 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (6725 views)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (9601 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (5943 views)

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (15651 views)

Won't eat dog food. Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten... (8520 views)