Feeding chicken liver to dogs.

Breed: Jack Russell mix
I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his evening meal usually ground chicken or beef with rice and shredded carrots. What is your opinion of feeding dogs chicken livers? I would like to give him the livers, but some people say they are bad for dogs.
Thank you!
Dianne

Thanks for an excellent question Dianne!

I have no issues at all with you feeding some chicken liver to your dog. However I would only recommend it cooked, not raw. Raw chicken liver could potentially carry salmonella or other bacteria.

My rule of thumb when supplementing your dog's diet with healthy home cooked food is that the "non dog food" should not make up more than 50% of his calories.

Also, if Petey has not had liver before, then it's best to start off with just a very small amount and gradually increase the amount he gets each day (or every couple of days.) If you suddenly give him a large amount of liver he could get some stomach upset.

Thank you very much! I definitely plan to cook the livers and serve him Just one every couple of days. Great website!

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (10852 views)

Hyperaldosteronism? My niece's 12 yr old cat vomits about every 6 days, gets dehydrated, listless and... (6634 views)

Full anal glands. full anal... (8633 views)

Hot spot on head. My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has... (9857 views)

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (12558 views)

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (7061 views)

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (252223 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (12622 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (8984 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (9193 views)