Feeding chicken liver to dogs.

Breed: Jack Russell mix
I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his evening meal usually ground chicken or beef with rice and shredded carrots. What is your opinion of feeding dogs chicken livers? I would like to give him the livers, but some people say they are bad for dogs.
Thank you!
Dianne

Thanks for an excellent question Dianne!

I have no issues at all with you feeding some chicken liver to your dog. However I would only recommend it cooked, not raw. Raw chicken liver could potentially carry salmonella or other bacteria.

My rule of thumb when supplementing your dog's diet with healthy home cooked food is that the "non dog food" should not make up more than 50% of his calories.

Also, if Petey has not had liver before, then it's best to start off with just a very small amount and gradually increase the amount he gets each day (or every couple of days.) If you suddenly give him a large amount of liver he could get some stomach upset.

Thank you very much! I definitely plan to cook the livers and serve him Just one every couple of days. Great website!

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (17066 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (19441 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (17856 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (15549 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (10355 views)

Kitten has diarrhea Hi, my four month old cat has not stopped doing runny poos since i have had her. i... (9169 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (36198 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (8999 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (8551 views)

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (7858 views)