Feeding chicken liver to dogs.

Breed: Jack Russell mix
I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his evening meal usually ground chicken or beef with rice and shredded carrots. What is your opinion of feeding dogs chicken livers? I would like to give him the livers, but some people say they are bad for dogs.
Thank you!
Dianne

Thanks for an excellent question Dianne!

I have no issues at all with you feeding some chicken liver to your dog. However I would only recommend it cooked, not raw. Raw chicken liver could potentially carry salmonella or other bacteria.

My rule of thumb when supplementing your dog's diet with healthy home cooked food is that the "non dog food" should not make up more than 50% of his calories.

Also, if Petey has not had liver before, then it's best to start off with just a very small amount and gradually increase the amount he gets each day (or every couple of days.) If you suddenly give him a large amount of liver he could get some stomach upset.

Thank you very much! I definitely plan to cook the livers and serve him Just one every couple of days. Great website!

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (47445 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (5362 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (15040 views)

Lump under eye. Hello Marie My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left... (48131 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (16094 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (11487 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (11554 views)

Cat meows constantly. Hello- Our 8 year old male cat meows constantly, and he does things like dribble... (9548 views)

Ear infection. last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4... (19730 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (19465 views)