Feeding chicken liver to dogs.

Breed: Jack Russell mix
I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his evening meal usually ground chicken or beef with rice and shredded carrots. What is your opinion of feeding dogs chicken livers? I would like to give him the livers, but some people say they are bad for dogs.
Thank you!
Dianne

Thanks for an excellent question Dianne!

I have no issues at all with you feeding some chicken liver to your dog. However I would only recommend it cooked, not raw. Raw chicken liver could potentially carry salmonella or other bacteria.

My rule of thumb when supplementing your dog's diet with healthy home cooked food is that the "non dog food" should not make up more than 50% of his calories.

Also, if Petey has not had liver before, then it's best to start off with just a very small amount and gradually increase the amount he gets each day (or every couple of days.) If you suddenly give him a large amount of liver he could get some stomach upset.

Thank you very much! I definitely plan to cook the livers and serve him Just one every couple of days. Great website!

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (14845 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (16691 views)

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (7784 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (11613 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (6429 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (10551 views)

My dog is grieving. Good Day Dr. In March of 2011 we lost Lucy (Coton du Tulear) to heart disease. ... (16065 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (24878 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (9590 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (26512 views)