Snapping noise in joints.

Breed: Labrador retriever
Doctor,
We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and are so much family members I want to claim them on my taxes!
The black lab is 9 months old and I noticed after he has been laying down for a bit, there is a clicking/snapping noise seeming to come from his rear legs. He moves about slowly nd gingerly for a short time(10-15 seconds) and then is off and running with his older brother without any of that clicking sound. Is this a possible problem in the making or is it normal in such a young lab? Does arthritis know age or descriminate in any way?
Thank you so much in advance for any enlightenment you may be able to provide.
Jim

This sounds like it could be a condition with his miniscus. In most cases I don't get too worried about this. It's similar to people whose knees "pop" when they bend down.

However, if he is limping at all then it's worthwhile to have your vet take a look!

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (12518 views)

Lethargic after Trifexis. Hello, Thank you for your help. My beagle, Daisy (25 lbs), ate her dose of... (31022 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Since saturday our terrior cross hasn't been eating her food,and drinking alot. We... (10315 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (10653 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (13963 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (9281 views)

Cloudy eye with blood. My dog has what seemed to be pink eye but the blood has seeped into the iris. There... (15003 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (36831 views)

Golden Retriever Smell Hello. I have two golden retrievers and the youngest is 11 months old. She has a... (47388 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (13424 views)