Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Cooked garlic safety?

Species: Dog
Breed: shipoo
Age: 8-11 years
I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has ringworm. I was wondering if i can give them natures sunshine high potency garlic oil. I was told that it is non toxic because it isnt fresh garlic and that it would help.. i just wanted to be sure. Thank you in advace. Elisabeth Mauldin.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat garlic?

Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Hi there. Unfortunately it is not true that cooking garlic reduces the toxicity for dogs. Cooked garlic is still toxic to dogs.

I definitely wouldn't recommend this product for several reasons:

-The garlic is toxic to a dog's red blood cells.
-Garlic does not treat ringworm at all

If you're wondering if garlic treats fleas, I've covered that here:

Does garlic kill fleas?

As far as ringworm goes, you will need to consult with your veterinarian on how to best treat this. There are some dogs that can be treated with a topical antifungal cream. (Ringworm is a fungus not a parasite). But, many will need oral antifungal medicines or special prescription shampoos.


---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Lump with open sores. Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds... (27853 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (13515 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4555 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing. My 4 month old kitten has vomited twice this morning. He has also coughed and... (18324 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (8187 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (12780 views)

Stop dog fighting. Hi I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will... (4852 views)

Hyperesthesia syndrome? I have a unique situation. Recently I have moved to a new apt 3 hours away from... (5184 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (13391 views)

Cat losing hair on neck and ears. My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur... (11487 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.