Cooked garlic safety?

Breed: shipoo
I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has ringworm. I was wondering if i can give them natures sunshine high potency garlic oil. I was told that it is non toxic because it isnt fresh garlic and that it would help.. i just wanted to be sure. Thank you in advace. Elisabeth Mauldin.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat garlic?

Hi there. Unfortunately it is not true that cooking garlic reduces the toxicity for dogs. Cooked garlic is still toxic to dogs.

I definitely wouldn't recommend this product for several reasons:

-The garlic is toxic to a dog's red blood cells.
-Garlic does not treat ringworm at all

If you're wondering if garlic treats fleas, I've covered that here:

Does garlic kill fleas?

As far as ringworm goes, you will need to consult with your veterinarian on how to best treat this. There are some dogs that can be treated with a topical antifungal cream. (Ringworm is a fungus not a parasite). But, many will need oral antifungal medicines or special prescription shampoos.

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (61236 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (55582 views)

Relapse of parvo? We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it... (22936 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (40238 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (14332 views)

Dose of interceptor? I have a new puppy... he's 8 weeks old and weighs 4.6 lbs. I live in Florida which... (12280 views)

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (21895 views)

Kitten with diarrhea. My cat is being lethargic her poop is runny she isnt eating much or drinking much... (7410 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (36946 views)

See the vet for dog bite? Daisy was bitten my my other dog in 2 places. It bled moderately and I gently bathed... (5324 views)