Cooked garlic safety?

Breed: shipoo
I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has ringworm. I was wondering if i can give them natures sunshine high potency garlic oil. I was told that it is non toxic because it isnt fresh garlic and that it would help.. i just wanted to be sure. Thank you in advace. Elisabeth Mauldin.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat garlic?

Hi there. Unfortunately it is not true that cooking garlic reduces the toxicity for dogs. Cooked garlic is still toxic to dogs.

I definitely wouldn't recommend this product for several reasons:

-The garlic is toxic to a dog's red blood cells.
-Garlic does not treat ringworm at all

If you're wondering if garlic treats fleas, I've covered that here:

Does garlic kill fleas?

As far as ringworm goes, you will need to consult with your veterinarian on how to best treat this. There are some dogs that can be treated with a topical antifungal cream. (Ringworm is a fungus not a parasite). But, many will need oral antifungal medicines or special prescription shampoos.

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (18704 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (6505 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (6495 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (17362 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (23434 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (6744 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (10332 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (25689 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (10945 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (9510 views)