Cooked garlic safety?

Breed: shipoo
I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has ringworm. I was wondering if i can give them natures sunshine high potency garlic oil. I was told that it is non toxic because it isnt fresh garlic and that it would help.. i just wanted to be sure. Thank you in advace. Elisabeth Mauldin.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat garlic?

Hi there. Unfortunately it is not true that cooking garlic reduces the toxicity for dogs. Cooked garlic is still toxic to dogs.

I definitely wouldn't recommend this product for several reasons:

-The garlic is toxic to a dog's red blood cells.
-Garlic does not treat ringworm at all

If you're wondering if garlic treats fleas, I've covered that here:

Does garlic kill fleas?

As far as ringworm goes, you will need to consult with your veterinarian on how to best treat this. There are some dogs that can be treated with a topical antifungal cream. (Ringworm is a fungus not a parasite). But, many will need oral antifungal medicines or special prescription shampoos.

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (7374 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (6902 views)

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (8500 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (7511 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (55764 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (11019 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (4770 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (26831 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (13850 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (26956 views)