Cooked garlic safety?

Breed: shipoo
I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has ringworm. I was wondering if i can give them natures sunshine high potency garlic oil. I was told that it is non toxic because it isnt fresh garlic and that it would help.. i just wanted to be sure. Thank you in advace. Elisabeth Mauldin.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat garlic?

Hi there. Unfortunately it is not true that cooking garlic reduces the toxicity for dogs. Cooked garlic is still toxic to dogs.

I definitely wouldn't recommend this product for several reasons:

-The garlic is toxic to a dog's red blood cells.
-Garlic does not treat ringworm at all

If you're wondering if garlic treats fleas, I've covered that here:

Does garlic kill fleas?

As far as ringworm goes, you will need to consult with your veterinarian on how to best treat this. There are some dogs that can be treated with a topical antifungal cream. (Ringworm is a fungus not a parasite). But, many will need oral antifungal medicines or special prescription shampoos.

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (19168 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (14044 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (39726 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (12143 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (12955 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (16568 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (21559 views)

Flea dirt around nipples? She is a 20 month old seemingly very healthy happy cat. There is a very good chance... (45249 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (35912 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (10897 views)