Thinking of getting a malamute.

Breed: alaskan malamute
hi,
i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been wanting to get a alaskan malamute for quite some time, and i need to know a few things about the breed but i dont want to have to pay any money at the moment so it must be free. my first question is will an alaskan malamute get along with my malchi? my second question is will it do well in a half acre yard? we are starting to get ready to build a house on a 3.5 acre lot and i need to know if it will do well in the areas given. i also would like to know if the malamute would do well in a utah climate. will it get too hot? if you have any more information about the breed or the questions given please email me.
thanks,
anonymous

It's always hard to know whether a new dog will get along with your current dog.

While I have seen malamutes that live with other dogs quite well, I do have a number of malamutes in my practice that simply do not get along with other dogs. Many malamutes have a high prey instinct and so I would be cautious with introducing him or her to your malchi.

Malamutes are really built for arctic temperatures, so the summers in Utah could be difficult for your new dog.

Regarding the yard, that sounds just fine to me.

I would highly advise you to talk to a number of malamute breeders in your area and get their opinion on your questions. People who breed malamutes will be the best source of information on how well they adapt to different environments.

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (6856 views)

Vaginal Discharge. Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few... (12387 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (5070 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (4258 views)

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (11579 views)

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (6866 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (7576 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (2785 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (25627 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (8769 views)