Thinking of getting a malamute.

Breed: alaskan malamute
hi,
i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been wanting to get a alaskan malamute for quite some time, and i need to know a few things about the breed but i dont want to have to pay any money at the moment so it must be free. my first question is will an alaskan malamute get along with my malchi? my second question is will it do well in a half acre yard? we are starting to get ready to build a house on a 3.5 acre lot and i need to know if it will do well in the areas given. i also would like to know if the malamute would do well in a utah climate. will it get too hot? if you have any more information about the breed or the questions given please email me.
thanks,
anonymous

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

It's always hard to know whether a new dog will get along with your current dog.

While I have seen malamutes that live with other dogs quite well, I do have a number of malamutes in my practice that simply do not get along with other dogs. Many malamutes have a high prey instinct and so I would be cautious with introducing him or her to your malchi.

Malamutes are really built for arctic temperatures, so the summers in Utah could be difficult for your new dog.

Regarding the yard, that sounds just fine to me.

I would highly advise you to talk to a number of malamute breeders in your area and get their opinion on your questions. People who breed malamutes will be the best source of information on how well they adapt to different environments.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Questions from a student? I have a grade 6 student doing a research project on Veteranarians. Could she use... (4350 views)

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (11899 views)

Black spot on tongue. Hi, I have an 10 year old mutt, and she's never eaten dog food, for 10 years I've... (5991 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (3365 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (12075 views)

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (7280 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (4466 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (14289 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (11173 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (9503 views)