Thinking of getting a malamute.

Breed: alaskan malamute
hi,
i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been wanting to get a alaskan malamute for quite some time, and i need to know a few things about the breed but i dont want to have to pay any money at the moment so it must be free. my first question is will an alaskan malamute get along with my malchi? my second question is will it do well in a half acre yard? we are starting to get ready to build a house on a 3.5 acre lot and i need to know if it will do well in the areas given. i also would like to know if the malamute would do well in a utah climate. will it get too hot? if you have any more information about the breed or the questions given please email me.
thanks,
anonymous

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

It's always hard to know whether a new dog will get along with your current dog.

While I have seen malamutes that live with other dogs quite well, I do have a number of malamutes in my practice that simply do not get along with other dogs. Many malamutes have a high prey instinct and so I would be cautious with introducing him or her to your malchi.

Malamutes are really built for arctic temperatures, so the summers in Utah could be difficult for your new dog.

Regarding the yard, that sounds just fine to me.

I would highly advise you to talk to a number of malamute breeders in your area and get their opinion on your questions. People who breed malamutes will be the best source of information on how well they adapt to different environments.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Dog can't stand. Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or... (5206 views)

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (6262 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (70945 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (10704 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (6826 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (5925 views)

Foot got caught in door. As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the... (10824 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My cat lulu was just attacked by a dog today....i'm a new mommy...and currently... (3160 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (2358 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (9992 views)