Thinking of getting a malamute.

Breed: alaskan malamute
hi,
i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been wanting to get a alaskan malamute for quite some time, and i need to know a few things about the breed but i dont want to have to pay any money at the moment so it must be free. my first question is will an alaskan malamute get along with my malchi? my second question is will it do well in a half acre yard? we are starting to get ready to build a house on a 3.5 acre lot and i need to know if it will do well in the areas given. i also would like to know if the malamute would do well in a utah climate. will it get too hot? if you have any more information about the breed or the questions given please email me.
thanks,
anonymous

It's always hard to know whether a new dog will get along with your current dog.

While I have seen malamutes that live with other dogs quite well, I do have a number of malamutes in my practice that simply do not get along with other dogs. Many malamutes have a high prey instinct and so I would be cautious with introducing him or her to your malchi.

Malamutes are really built for arctic temperatures, so the summers in Utah could be difficult for your new dog.

Regarding the yard, that sounds just fine to me.

I would highly advise you to talk to a number of malamute breeders in your area and get their opinion on your questions. People who breed malamutes will be the best source of information on how well they adapt to different environments.

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (8223 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (9264 views)

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (5149 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and... (10385 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (17214 views)

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (7317 views)

Gurgling stomach. Purrfect's stomach has been gurgling a lot today. This is very unusual for her--we... (112176 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (5021 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (7631 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (5616 views)