Aggressive with food.

Breed: Domestic
Dear Dr. Marie:

My husband and I adopted our kitten, Tigger, last April, so we've had him for a good 9 months. He is generally a well-behaved cat, if not a bit stubborn. However, lately (within the last week!), he has become incredibly possessive about his food. He growls and hisses at us if we even come near him while he is eating and has even resorted to clawing and biting. It has gotten to the point where he is coming up to us and clawing to get the food that we are eating.

My initial thought is that some sort of medical reason is prompting this behavior--like maybe he has worms or something like that. But, we have been diligent with taking him to the vet and he's up to date on all his shots and everything.

I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out how to deal with this kitty. We love him to death but can't be around him if he's going to continue to behave this way. Do you have any advice for how to address this problem?

Thank you so much!

Blessings,
Julie

Hi Julie. Sorry to hear that Tigger is becoming agressive. This is not very common.

My first question is to ask you whether he is neutered. If not, then having him neutered will likely improve his attitude greatly. By 9 months an unneutered male cat will be starting to get some hormones. Testosterone can cause all sorts of behavioral issues.

My next thought would be to have your vet examine him. It is definitely possible that there is a medical issue that is causing him to be aggressive. I have seen cats do this if they have pain somewhere (such as back pain or dental pain.) I have also seen cats do this if they are agitated because they have fleas. Or, they can do this if they have issues with their urinary tract.

If there is no medical reason found then your vet may talk to you about a trial of anti-anxiety medication for a few months. I have had good success with a product called Reconcile, but others such as Clomicalm or Amitryptyline may work as well. In many cases we can use the medication for a short term and then eventually wean the cat off.

You can also ask your vet about a new prescription food called Calm diet. This diet has natural products in it which helps to reduce undesirable behaviors.

I really hope that things are improving soon!

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (3571 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (9110 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (7886 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (7077 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (25453 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (15978 views)

Does my cat have glaucoma? About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay... (3557 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (8522 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (7361 views)

Charcoal briquette My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn,... (29932 views)