Aggressive with food.

Breed: Domestic
Dear Dr. Marie:

My husband and I adopted our kitten, Tigger, last April, so we've had him for a good 9 months. He is generally a well-behaved cat, if not a bit stubborn. However, lately (within the last week!), he has become incredibly possessive about his food. He growls and hisses at us if we even come near him while he is eating and has even resorted to clawing and biting. It has gotten to the point where he is coming up to us and clawing to get the food that we are eating.

My initial thought is that some sort of medical reason is prompting this behavior--like maybe he has worms or something like that. But, we have been diligent with taking him to the vet and he's up to date on all his shots and everything.

I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out how to deal with this kitty. We love him to death but can't be around him if he's going to continue to behave this way. Do you have any advice for how to address this problem?

Thank you so much!

Blessings,
Julie

Hi Julie. Sorry to hear that Tigger is becoming agressive. This is not very common.

My first question is to ask you whether he is neutered. If not, then having him neutered will likely improve his attitude greatly. By 9 months an unneutered male cat will be starting to get some hormones. Testosterone can cause all sorts of behavioral issues.

My next thought would be to have your vet examine him. It is definitely possible that there is a medical issue that is causing him to be aggressive. I have seen cats do this if they have pain somewhere (such as back pain or dental pain.) I have also seen cats do this if they are agitated because they have fleas. Or, they can do this if they have issues with their urinary tract.

If there is no medical reason found then your vet may talk to you about a trial of anti-anxiety medication for a few months. I have had good success with a product called Reconcile, but others such as Clomicalm or Amitryptyline may work as well. In many cases we can use the medication for a short term and then eventually wean the cat off.

You can also ask your vet about a new prescription food called Calm diet. This diet has natural products in it which helps to reduce undesirable behaviors.

I really hope that things are improving soon!

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (6746 views)

Chronic pancreatitis flareup. Kasma is currently being treated for chronic pancreatitis...she's been on... (4088 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (33578 views)

Dog with ear problem. Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a... (8497 views)

Dog's eye is closed. Hello, My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was... (15254 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (17539 views)

Should dog with cancer be euthanized? Ben was diagnosed with a Grade III mast cell tumor last February. We had it... (7144 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (3259 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (11050 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (6130 views)