Aggressive with food.

Breed: Domestic
Dear Dr. Marie:

My husband and I adopted our kitten, Tigger, last April, so we've had him for a good 9 months. He is generally a well-behaved cat, if not a bit stubborn. However, lately (within the last week!), he has become incredibly possessive about his food. He growls and hisses at us if we even come near him while he is eating and has even resorted to clawing and biting. It has gotten to the point where he is coming up to us and clawing to get the food that we are eating.

My initial thought is that some sort of medical reason is prompting this behavior--like maybe he has worms or something like that. But, we have been diligent with taking him to the vet and he's up to date on all his shots and everything.

I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out how to deal with this kitty. We love him to death but can't be around him if he's going to continue to behave this way. Do you have any advice for how to address this problem?

Thank you so much!

Blessings,
Julie

Hi Julie. Sorry to hear that Tigger is becoming agressive. This is not very common.

My first question is to ask you whether he is neutered. If not, then having him neutered will likely improve his attitude greatly. By 9 months an unneutered male cat will be starting to get some hormones. Testosterone can cause all sorts of behavioral issues.

My next thought would be to have your vet examine him. It is definitely possible that there is a medical issue that is causing him to be aggressive. I have seen cats do this if they have pain somewhere (such as back pain or dental pain.) I have also seen cats do this if they are agitated because they have fleas. Or, they can do this if they have issues with their urinary tract.

If there is no medical reason found then your vet may talk to you about a trial of anti-anxiety medication for a few months. I have had good success with a product called Reconcile, but others such as Clomicalm or Amitryptyline may work as well. In many cases we can use the medication for a short term and then eventually wean the cat off.

You can also ask your vet about a new prescription food called Calm diet. This diet has natural products in it which helps to reduce undesirable behaviors.

I really hope that things are improving soon!

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (6476 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (6752 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (15521 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (4941 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (9331 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (15603 views)

Young cat died after sneezing. I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize. I had four... (4501 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (41093 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (12751 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (6435 views)