Aggressive with food.

Breed: Domestic
Dear Dr. Marie:

My husband and I adopted our kitten, Tigger, last April, so we've had him for a good 9 months. He is generally a well-behaved cat, if not a bit stubborn. However, lately (within the last week!), he has become incredibly possessive about his food. He growls and hisses at us if we even come near him while he is eating and has even resorted to clawing and biting. It has gotten to the point where he is coming up to us and clawing to get the food that we are eating.

My initial thought is that some sort of medical reason is prompting this behavior--like maybe he has worms or something like that. But, we have been diligent with taking him to the vet and he's up to date on all his shots and everything.

I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out how to deal with this kitty. We love him to death but can't be around him if he's going to continue to behave this way. Do you have any advice for how to address this problem?

Thank you so much!

Blessings,
Julie

Hi Julie. Sorry to hear that Tigger is becoming agressive. This is not very common.

My first question is to ask you whether he is neutered. If not, then having him neutered will likely improve his attitude greatly. By 9 months an unneutered male cat will be starting to get some hormones. Testosterone can cause all sorts of behavioral issues.

My next thought would be to have your vet examine him. It is definitely possible that there is a medical issue that is causing him to be aggressive. I have seen cats do this if they have pain somewhere (such as back pain or dental pain.) I have also seen cats do this if they are agitated because they have fleas. Or, they can do this if they have issues with their urinary tract.

If there is no medical reason found then your vet may talk to you about a trial of anti-anxiety medication for a few months. I have had good success with a product called Reconcile, but others such as Clomicalm or Amitryptyline may work as well. In many cases we can use the medication for a short term and then eventually wean the cat off.

You can also ask your vet about a new prescription food called Calm diet. This diet has natural products in it which helps to reduce undesirable behaviors.

I really hope that things are improving soon!

Wheezing kitten. Hi! I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and... (8054 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (9117 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (10217 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (50837 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (5114 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (8356 views)

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (9152 views)

Rabbit not moving. this morning she was fine, now she is laying lifeless, her belly is flat like she... (7057 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (14097 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (15265 views)