Redo rabies vaccine?

Breed: American Pit bull Te
Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me the paperwork but they somehow lost the paperwork. If I never get it, can she get the rabies shot again? I thought of an option of asking your veterinarian to check her rabies titer to see if she is protected or not. But I heard that the titer test is fairly expensive, not always locally available, and can be unreliable and in most cases it is simpler to just vaccinate. However, I am concerned of overvaccination.
I would like to have your opinion about overvaccination.

This type of thing happens a lot. I have had many clients that got new dogs and were told that their vaccines were up to date but were never given the vaccination papers. In cases like this we always go under the assumption that the vaccines are not up to date.

It is definitely safe to give a shot now, even if she has had a rabies vaccines before. No harm will be done.

You are right about rabies testing - it is quite pricey. In my clinic it is over $200 for the test. Additionally, if she does have a positive titre it means that she has had a vaccine before but no one knows how long it will be good for. In places where you require a rabies certificate they usually will not accept a blood titre test.

It definitely sounds like the best thing to do will be to vaccinate her now.

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (17682 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (42610 views)

Vaginal Discharge. Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few... (18054 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (30765 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (19064 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (104818 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (8268 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (37427 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (9971 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (13090 views)