Redo rabies vaccine?

Breed: American Pit bull Te
Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me the paperwork but they somehow lost the paperwork. If I never get it, can she get the rabies shot again? I thought of an option of asking your veterinarian to check her rabies titer to see if she is protected or not. But I heard that the titer test is fairly expensive, not always locally available, and can be unreliable and in most cases it is simpler to just vaccinate. However, I am concerned of overvaccination.
I would like to have your opinion about overvaccination.

This type of thing happens a lot. I have had many clients that got new dogs and were told that their vaccines were up to date but were never given the vaccination papers. In cases like this we always go under the assumption that the vaccines are not up to date.

It is definitely safe to give a shot now, even if she has had a rabies vaccines before. No harm will be done.

You are right about rabies testing - it is quite pricey. In my clinic it is over $200 for the test. Additionally, if she does have a positive titre it means that she has had a vaccine before but no one knows how long it will be good for. In places where you require a rabies certificate they usually will not accept a blood titre test.

It definitely sounds like the best thing to do will be to vaccinate her now.

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (6644 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (15792 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (54140 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (15551 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (11976 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (80633 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (39147 views)

Bad breath in puppy. My two month maltese male puppy has really bad breath, what can I do? I'm worrying... (5069 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (19136 views)

Scabs on cat's ears. Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the... (8830 views)