Raw, sore nose.

Breed: Malamute
Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked by 2 pitbulls and in the process of her protecting herself her nose which used to be black has been pink ever since (really raw) and continueously keeps cracking and bleeding and she keeps bumping it causing furthur injury. As a result of this injury and her scratching she got an infection in her snout and it travelled to her eyes causing drooping underneath the eyes and a clear discharge and her eyes seem dry and red. I took her to the vet for this and she was on antibiotics and I changed her food from benifil to science diet. She has improved majorly and the infection is gone. However she continueously bumps her nose re-opening her nose wounds and her eyes are still droopy but she is back to her happy self. I have taken her to the vet a bunch of times now and am definatly running low on money for the vet as the bill runs me over $600.00 everytime not that I mind I love my dog but I am wondering if there is anything I can try at home. Please help I love my dog and I would like to see her nose finally get better and her eyes not be so droopy. Also she has almost like dry scalp in her ears and they look sore I am at a loss and would be devistated if she doesnt get better. My poor Mika hopefully you can help

Star

There is a possibility that this problem with Mika's nose has nothing to do with the dog bite. I'm wondering if she has an autoimmune problem such as pemphigus or discoid lupus.

Both of these are serious lifelong problems. Unfortunately the only way to diagnose these are with skin biopsies that can be expensive.

Some vitamin E cream applied twice daily may help somewhat. But, if this is an autoimmune condition then she may need long term steroid medications.

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (12413 views)

Vita Calm in dogs? i was wondering if i could safly use vitacalm for hosres on my dog for his... (11136 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (7889 views)

Euthanize biting dog? My name is Meghan and I am going through a super tough situation and thought maybe... (9705 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (16139 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (22707 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (11383 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (22387 views)

Bad breath in puppy. My two month maltese male puppy has really bad breath, what can I do? I'm worrying... (7230 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (13338 views)