Raw, sore nose.

Breed: Malamute
Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked by 2 pitbulls and in the process of her protecting herself her nose which used to be black has been pink ever since (really raw) and continueously keeps cracking and bleeding and she keeps bumping it causing furthur injury. As a result of this injury and her scratching she got an infection in her snout and it travelled to her eyes causing drooping underneath the eyes and a clear discharge and her eyes seem dry and red. I took her to the vet for this and she was on antibiotics and I changed her food from benifil to science diet. She has improved majorly and the infection is gone. However she continueously bumps her nose re-opening her nose wounds and her eyes are still droopy but she is back to her happy self. I have taken her to the vet a bunch of times now and am definatly running low on money for the vet as the bill runs me over $600.00 everytime not that I mind I love my dog but I am wondering if there is anything I can try at home. Please help I love my dog and I would like to see her nose finally get better and her eyes not be so droopy. Also she has almost like dry scalp in her ears and they look sore I am at a loss and would be devistated if she doesnt get better. My poor Mika hopefully you can help

Star

There is a possibility that this problem with Mika's nose has nothing to do with the dog bite. I'm wondering if she has an autoimmune problem such as pemphigus or discoid lupus.

Both of these are serious lifelong problems. Unfortunately the only way to diagnose these are with skin biopsies that can be expensive.

Some vitamin E cream applied twice daily may help somewhat. But, if this is an autoimmune condition then she may need long term steroid medications.

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (8261 views)

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (39160 views)

Older cat problems. My cat is eating constantly. Every hour or two she cries at me to eat. And she's... (10005 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (9172 views)

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (8662 views)

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (5204 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (13086 views)

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (28836 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (11644 views)

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (4300 views)