Raw, sore nose.

Breed: Malamute
Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked by 2 pitbulls and in the process of her protecting herself her nose which used to be black has been pink ever since (really raw) and continueously keeps cracking and bleeding and she keeps bumping it causing furthur injury. As a result of this injury and her scratching she got an infection in her snout and it travelled to her eyes causing drooping underneath the eyes and a clear discharge and her eyes seem dry and red. I took her to the vet for this and she was on antibiotics and I changed her food from benifil to science diet. She has improved majorly and the infection is gone. However she continueously bumps her nose re-opening her nose wounds and her eyes are still droopy but she is back to her happy self. I have taken her to the vet a bunch of times now and am definatly running low on money for the vet as the bill runs me over $600.00 everytime not that I mind I love my dog but I am wondering if there is anything I can try at home. Please help I love my dog and I would like to see her nose finally get better and her eyes not be so droopy. Also she has almost like dry scalp in her ears and they look sore I am at a loss and would be devistated if she doesnt get better. My poor Mika hopefully you can help

Star

There is a possibility that this problem with Mika's nose has nothing to do with the dog bite. I'm wondering if she has an autoimmune problem such as pemphigus or discoid lupus.

Both of these are serious lifelong problems. Unfortunately the only way to diagnose these are with skin biopsies that can be expensive.

Some vitamin E cream applied twice daily may help somewhat. But, if this is an autoimmune condition then she may need long term steroid medications.

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (11771 views)

Pocket pets and cats. I have been considering adding a small pocket pet as a companion to my home. I... (2974 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (7400 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (14819 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (40359 views)

Coughing and not eating chihuahua My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he... (6852 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (6801 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (22580 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (30731 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (7933 views)