Raw, sore nose.

Breed: Malamute
Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked by 2 pitbulls and in the process of her protecting herself her nose which used to be black has been pink ever since (really raw) and continueously keeps cracking and bleeding and she keeps bumping it causing furthur injury. As a result of this injury and her scratching she got an infection in her snout and it travelled to her eyes causing drooping underneath the eyes and a clear discharge and her eyes seem dry and red. I took her to the vet for this and she was on antibiotics and I changed her food from benifil to science diet. She has improved majorly and the infection is gone. However she continueously bumps her nose re-opening her nose wounds and her eyes are still droopy but she is back to her happy self. I have taken her to the vet a bunch of times now and am definatly running low on money for the vet as the bill runs me over $600.00 everytime not that I mind I love my dog but I am wondering if there is anything I can try at home. Please help I love my dog and I would like to see her nose finally get better and her eyes not be so droopy. Also she has almost like dry scalp in her ears and they look sore I am at a loss and would be devistated if she doesnt get better. My poor Mika hopefully you can help

Star

There is a possibility that this problem with Mika's nose has nothing to do with the dog bite. I'm wondering if she has an autoimmune problem such as pemphigus or discoid lupus.

Both of these are serious lifelong problems. Unfortunately the only way to diagnose these are with skin biopsies that can be expensive.

Some vitamin E cream applied twice daily may help somewhat. But, if this is an autoimmune condition then she may need long term steroid medications.

Ferret with hair loss and wobbliness. My ferett has lost all hair on back and i came home today and he is extremly wobbly... (20500 views)

Understanding biopsy report. Hi Dr. Marie, I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm... (7160 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (8430 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (13370 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (57830 views)

Rat is not eating. my pet rat has an infection and we took her to the vet and was given a mineral food... (9586 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (8750 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (8022 views)

Kitten diarrhea. my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he... (10312 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (7451 views)