Lump on dog's side after fight.

Breed: Chihuahua mix
Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's active, happy, not showing any signs of sickness, though he does seem to be doing the Chihuahua shake a bit more than usual. This lump appeared after he got into a fight with one of my other dogs and, while breaking it up, I fell back on him. The lump is pliable, like liquid filled, doesn't seem to be attached to anything, doesn't hurt him if I probe it. I live in Michigan, he's had the lump for about a week, I've not done anything for it and I could get to a vet if I had to (I don't have transportation). I've sent a pic with the subject line Chihuahua. Thank you for your time.

Thank you for sending the photo to me. This is indeed a big lump. While I can't say for certain what this is without examining your dog, I can give you my thoughts.

If this happened shortly after he was in a fight with another dog there is a good chance it is either a seroma or an abscess. A seroma is a large fluid filled lump that is there as a result of trauma. A seroma usually goes away on its own but it can take several weeks. An abscess would be a more serious issue. This would be as a result of a bite. You don't always see the wounds when there is an abscess. If this is an abscess then Tennessee would need prescription antibiotics and possibly even some surgery in order to recover.

An abscess and a seroma can feel the same. The only way to know the difference between the two is to have the vet put a needle inside and see what the fluid looks like.

So, do you need to go to the vet? The lump is quite large and therefore I think that a vet visit is a good idea. If it is a seroma they may decide to drain it. However, I find that when I drain these, the fluid tends to come back quickly. But, if it is an abscess, then waiting too long is not a good idea.

Certainly if Tennessee is not feeling well or if the lump seems sore or hot then I would take him in right away.

Hope things are better soon!

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (16640 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (9183 views)

Will I be forced to euthanize? Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller... (8140 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (12155 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (7429 views)

Incontinence and balance issues. We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started... (16056 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (11617 views)

Health problems. WE DO NEED A QUICK ANSWER, BUT IN CASE DOG WILL HANG ON, HERE GOES: 10 YRS OLD... (7502 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (9864 views)

Calicivirus questions My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said... (8325 views)