Lump on dog's side after fight.

Breed: Chihuahua mix
Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's active, happy, not showing any signs of sickness, though he does seem to be doing the Chihuahua shake a bit more than usual. This lump appeared after he got into a fight with one of my other dogs and, while breaking it up, I fell back on him. The lump is pliable, like liquid filled, doesn't seem to be attached to anything, doesn't hurt him if I probe it. I live in Michigan, he's had the lump for about a week, I've not done anything for it and I could get to a vet if I had to (I don't have transportation). I've sent a pic with the subject line Chihuahua. Thank you for your time.

Thank you for sending the photo to me. This is indeed a big lump. While I can't say for certain what this is without examining your dog, I can give you my thoughts.

If this happened shortly after he was in a fight with another dog there is a good chance it is either a seroma or an abscess. A seroma is a large fluid filled lump that is there as a result of trauma. A seroma usually goes away on its own but it can take several weeks. An abscess would be a more serious issue. This would be as a result of a bite. You don't always see the wounds when there is an abscess. If this is an abscess then Tennessee would need prescription antibiotics and possibly even some surgery in order to recover.

An abscess and a seroma can feel the same. The only way to know the difference between the two is to have the vet put a needle inside and see what the fluid looks like.

So, do you need to go to the vet? The lump is quite large and therefore I think that a vet visit is a good idea. If it is a seroma they may decide to drain it. However, I find that when I drain these, the fluid tends to come back quickly. But, if it is an abscess, then waiting too long is not a good idea.

Certainly if Tennessee is not feeling well or if the lump seems sore or hot then I would take him in right away.

Hope things are better soon!

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (19604 views)

Spots all over body. Hi My staffordshire bull terrier has little spots all over his body almost like... (12043 views)

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (11740 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (7572 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (10569 views)

Flying with your dog. Hello! We have recently purchased a mini schnoodle. She will be 8 weeks old when... (7128 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (23881 views)

Puppy won't eat or drink. My puppy has not been feeling good for the past 2 days. She doesn't eat or drink... (97385 views)

Cavalier screaming in pain. Hi there, since last Thursday my puppy having very strange moment and I went to my... (33956 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (9374 views)