Lump on dog's side after fight.

Breed: Chihuahua mix
Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's active, happy, not showing any signs of sickness, though he does seem to be doing the Chihuahua shake a bit more than usual. This lump appeared after he got into a fight with one of my other dogs and, while breaking it up, I fell back on him. The lump is pliable, like liquid filled, doesn't seem to be attached to anything, doesn't hurt him if I probe it. I live in Michigan, he's had the lump for about a week, I've not done anything for it and I could get to a vet if I had to (I don't have transportation). I've sent a pic with the subject line Chihuahua. Thank you for your time.

Thank you for sending the photo to me. This is indeed a big lump. While I can't say for certain what this is without examining your dog, I can give you my thoughts.

If this happened shortly after he was in a fight with another dog there is a good chance it is either a seroma or an abscess. A seroma is a large fluid filled lump that is there as a result of trauma. A seroma usually goes away on its own but it can take several weeks. An abscess would be a more serious issue. This would be as a result of a bite. You don't always see the wounds when there is an abscess. If this is an abscess then Tennessee would need prescription antibiotics and possibly even some surgery in order to recover.

An abscess and a seroma can feel the same. The only way to know the difference between the two is to have the vet put a needle inside and see what the fluid looks like.

So, do you need to go to the vet? The lump is quite large and therefore I think that a vet visit is a good idea. If it is a seroma they may decide to drain it. However, I find that when I drain these, the fluid tends to come back quickly. But, if it is an abscess, then waiting too long is not a good idea.

Certainly if Tennessee is not feeling well or if the lump seems sore or hot then I would take him in right away.

Hope things are better soon!

Sneezing dog. I have two yorkiepoo's that were around a dog that had distemper parvo ( he was not... (11614 views)

Licking his penis. my indoor cat is constantly going to his litter box about every 10 mins or so and... (9969 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (21937 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (23289 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (23828 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (11048 views)

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (29170 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (26632 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6336 views)

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (10750 views)