Lump on dog's side after fight.

Breed: Chihuahua mix
Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's active, happy, not showing any signs of sickness, though he does seem to be doing the Chihuahua shake a bit more than usual. This lump appeared after he got into a fight with one of my other dogs and, while breaking it up, I fell back on him. The lump is pliable, like liquid filled, doesn't seem to be attached to anything, doesn't hurt him if I probe it. I live in Michigan, he's had the lump for about a week, I've not done anything for it and I could get to a vet if I had to (I don't have transportation). I've sent a pic with the subject line Chihuahua. Thank you for your time.

Thank you for sending the photo to me. This is indeed a big lump. While I can't say for certain what this is without examining your dog, I can give you my thoughts.

If this happened shortly after he was in a fight with another dog there is a good chance it is either a seroma or an abscess. A seroma is a large fluid filled lump that is there as a result of trauma. A seroma usually goes away on its own but it can take several weeks. An abscess would be a more serious issue. This would be as a result of a bite. You don't always see the wounds when there is an abscess. If this is an abscess then Tennessee would need prescription antibiotics and possibly even some surgery in order to recover.

An abscess and a seroma can feel the same. The only way to know the difference between the two is to have the vet put a needle inside and see what the fluid looks like.

So, do you need to go to the vet? The lump is quite large and therefore I think that a vet visit is a good idea. If it is a seroma they may decide to drain it. However, I find that when I drain these, the fluid tends to come back quickly. But, if it is an abscess, then waiting too long is not a good idea.

Certainly if Tennessee is not feeling well or if the lump seems sore or hot then I would take him in right away.

Hope things are better soon!

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (5215 views)

Trifexis overdose? I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his... (28230 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (8910 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (160828 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (16897 views)

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (15415 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (11017 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (14845 views)

Can a dog adapt to a new home? Hello, thanks for taking the time to review my question. Ok, here it goes...The... (8186 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (303872 views)