Cat vomited 5 times.

Breed: tabby cat
I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i left my cat last night he was fine. after being home for about 30 min, my cat vomited again. other than vomiting he seems perfectly fine. Im a college student so I try to avoid unnecessary vet visits but i am really worried. he has never thrown up this many times in one day before. what should i do?

Sorry to hear that Sirus is not feeling well!

The answer to this question depends on how he is doing other than the vomit. So, I'll give you a few things to think about and hopefully this will help you decide whether he needs to be seen.

Some cats can randomly vomit for unknown reasons. Vomiting multiple times does not necessarily mean that there is something serious going on. It's possible that he has a hairball he is trying to get up and that's not a huge deal. But, on the other hand, it could be something more serious.

So, how is his appetite? If he is still eating his normal amount of food, then I would wait things out for now. On the other hand, if a cat is going more than 24 hours without food (or a greatly reduced amount of food) then he needs to see the vet.

Is he bright and happy? If he's really lethargic (i.e. not wanting to move and just looking really sick) then I would consider a visit today. It sounds like this is not the case.

Is there a known history of him eating something he shouldn't have? If you remember that he had a thread in his mouth, or if there was a toy missing and you think he ate it then he should be seen sooner rather than later.

Has he recently been in a fight? If he is an outdoor cat and he may have been in a fight then he could be vomiting because of a fever caused by an infection. In this case, taking him in now to get some antibiotics would be a lot less expensive than waiting too long.

If he's happy and eating ok then I think you can watch him for now. If the vomiting continues for more than 48 hours or if his appetite is decreasing then he should be seen.

There really isn't any medication that I would advise at this point. Plus, don't restrict his food. If he was a dog then fasting him for 24 hours would help, but we don't do this with cats because going without food could predispose him to a condition called fatty liver.

I hope things improve soon!

he hasn't eaten anything since i've been home, but thats only been an hour at most, so ill keep an eye on that. but what concerns me is he does have a very bad habbit of chewing on plastic i.e. plastic bags, wrapping ect.

I think this is a good plan. If he doesn't eat tonight then I'd take him in in the morning. I think it's unlikely that you'd need to rush in tonight to emergency, but if he was starting to act really sick then this may have to happen.

thank you very much!

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (4349 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (6587 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (13446 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (12634 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Since saturday our terrior cross hasn't been eating her food,and drinking alot. We... (6476 views)

Not eating, panting. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group.... (12723 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (10026 views)

Lump on Rottweiler's leg. Dear Dr Marie Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy... (12818 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (4469 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (4464 views)