Recessed vulva

Breed: Labrador Retriever
I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. The dog is constantly licking her vulva and is told she needs surgery to correct. She is claiming this is heridary and wants me to pay for the surgery. The question is "Is perivulvar Pyoderma a genetic defect?"

Thank you for an interesting question.

To answer your question, first, I'll explain what a perivulvar pyoderma is. "Pyoderma" means a skin infection and "perivulvar" means the skin surrounding the vulva. In many dogs it is possible to get a skin infection around the vulva because there can be folds of skin in this area. Infection happens because the folds are a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. They are warm and retain moisture well.

Some dogs will have very deep folds of skin on either side of the vulva because they are overweight. Then, some dogs will have deep folds because the vulva is recessed. I am guessing that in Chloe's case, she may have a recessed vulva. Sometimes if I see a dog with a recessed vulva I will let them go through a heat cycle before spaying them. While there are some risks associated with this (such as a higher risk of mammary cancer later in life), usually letting the dog go through a heat cycle will help the recessed vulva return to normal.

If perivuvlar pyoderma is severe, then most dogs will benefit from having a surgery done to help reduce the amount of folded skin around the vulva. You can find more information about this here.

So, to answer your question, perivulvar pyoderma is not a genetic condition. But the more appropriate question would be is a recessed vulva genetic? (because a recessed vulva could predispose a dog to getting perivulvar pyoderma). Here's where the answer becomes less black and white. A recessed vulva is not a condition that I would call genetic. While genes play a role in the shape of the vulva, it is not something I would call a genetic defect such as an umbilical hernia or cryptorchidism. But, a dog's genes will determine their body shape - this is why some dogs will have longer legs than others or a bigger head than others. Chloe's genes, which of course, were inherited from her mother and father, are in some ways responsible for her shape. But, there are other factors such as her weight, and whether she was spayed at a very young age.

I have actually spent a fair amount of time researching this answer for you as I wanted to get a more concrete answer for you. I searched on Veterinary Information Network (VIN) where vets talk about questions exactly like this one and the general consensus among vets was that this condition would not be considered hereditary.

I really hope everything works out ok.

Dear Dr. Marie, Thank you so much for your reply. My husband and I did want to give you a tip so, I just wanted you to know that I was waiting for paypal to pay you for 2 extra times through my bank account. I plan on needing questions answered in the future from you and I would also like to ad a link to my website for others. At this time, you probably gave me enough info to cover myself from the responsibility of Chloe. You did reference this question very well and I truly appreciate it. I currently use a local vet that is very old in his 80's and he is perfect for shots and certifications but I'm pretty sure he would not have gone through the length to answer my question the way that you have. We live in a rural area and it takes about an hour to get to a decent vet. You are currently on the top of my list for vets. Is it OK to put a link in my website to yours? Let me know, Thanks, Dawn@yellowlabsrus.com

Thanks Dawn. I'd love for you to link to my site! If you're having issues with Paypal, drop me an email at info@askavetquestion.com and we'll figure it out for you.

Looking forward to talking in the future,

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (14967 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (11003 views)

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (56510 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (14834 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (13156 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (24208 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (38382 views)

Dime sized sore above eye. Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide... (22266 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (11908 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (11306 views)