Quiet, sneezing dog.

Breed: Choclate Lab
My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still eating but not playing too much. What could be wrong with her?

Hi Lori and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Ginger is not well.

This is a tough one to answer without actually seeing Ginger but I can give you a few ideas.

My first concern is that she may have picked up a respiratory virus such as kennel cough. While kennel cough usually causes a cough I have seen some dogs who just develop a sneeze or runny nose.

If it is kennel cough most dogs get over it on their own within a few days to possibly a couple of weeks. However, if it starts to affect her appetite or if you are noticing a green discharge from her nose then she may need to see the vet to get some antibiotics.

Another possibility is if your girl has an infection in a tooth root. This can sometimes be hard to find. You can try pressing on each of her top teeth to see if any of them seem sore.

Some dogs can get a foreign object in their nose such as a blade of grass, however, this shouldn't cause her to be lethargic.

It's likely not anything serious and it is probably ok to keep an eye on her for now. Again, if she does not want to eat or if she is having a green discharge, or if she is much more lethargic then a vet visit is a good idea.

Hope she does well!

Dr.Maria, Thanks for your quick response. There is two other dogs in the house. 1 min-pin male neutered and 1 black lab mix that is now in heat. Could that have her in a different mood than we are seeing her in? I will check her teeth and watch other things. I am so bad about taking them to the vet over the lillest thing.

You're very welcome Lori. I don't think having another dog in the house in heat should make Ginger lethargic. It does really sound like there is a medical issue going on.

One point of concern, if she does have kennel cough it can be contagious to your other dogs. However, there is not much you can do to prevent it as it is spread via the air.

Hope they all do ok!

Dr Maria, I just looked up her nose and it looks like what our nose looks like when we have congestion. Her teeth look good. Can dogs get sinus or colds?

Sorry I wasn't able to reply last night...I had gone offline (to go to bed).

Dogs don't really get colds, but a virus such as kennel cough or possibly parainfluenza (which is similar to and even a part of kennel cough) can cause cold-like symptoms.

Another possible thought if she has a gunky discharge from her nose is a fungal infection in the nose but this is relatively uncommon.

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (7908 views)

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (5045 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (81035 views)

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (8463 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (12785 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (12088 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (15463 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (8852 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (5486 views)

Are these tapeworms? My cat has little cream color things on the chair after she sits for a while. They... (26281 views)