Quiet, sneezing dog.

Breed: Choclate Lab
My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still eating but not playing too much. What could be wrong with her?

Hi Lori and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Ginger is not well.

This is a tough one to answer without actually seeing Ginger but I can give you a few ideas.

My first concern is that she may have picked up a respiratory virus such as kennel cough. While kennel cough usually causes a cough I have seen some dogs who just develop a sneeze or runny nose.

If it is kennel cough most dogs get over it on their own within a few days to possibly a couple of weeks. However, if it starts to affect her appetite or if you are noticing a green discharge from her nose then she may need to see the vet to get some antibiotics.

Another possibility is if your girl has an infection in a tooth root. This can sometimes be hard to find. You can try pressing on each of her top teeth to see if any of them seem sore.

Some dogs can get a foreign object in their nose such as a blade of grass, however, this shouldn't cause her to be lethargic.

It's likely not anything serious and it is probably ok to keep an eye on her for now. Again, if she does not want to eat or if she is having a green discharge, or if she is much more lethargic then a vet visit is a good idea.

Hope she does well!

Dr.Maria, Thanks for your quick response. There is two other dogs in the house. 1 min-pin male neutered and 1 black lab mix that is now in heat. Could that have her in a different mood than we are seeing her in? I will check her teeth and watch other things. I am so bad about taking them to the vet over the lillest thing.

You're very welcome Lori. I don't think having another dog in the house in heat should make Ginger lethargic. It does really sound like there is a medical issue going on.

One point of concern, if she does have kennel cough it can be contagious to your other dogs. However, there is not much you can do to prevent it as it is spread via the air.

Hope they all do ok!

Dr Maria, I just looked up her nose and it looks like what our nose looks like when we have congestion. Her teeth look good. Can dogs get sinus or colds?

Sorry I wasn't able to reply last night...I had gone offline (to go to bed).

Dogs don't really get colds, but a virus such as kennel cough or possibly parainfluenza (which is similar to and even a part of kennel cough) can cause cold-like symptoms.

Another possible thought if she has a gunky discharge from her nose is a fungal infection in the nose but this is relatively uncommon.

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (4645 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (8756 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (6000 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (26414 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (9691 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (4360 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (146756 views)

Remove baby teeth with spay? Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get... (9455 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (13837 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (18971 views)