Quiet, sneezing dog.

Breed: Choclate Lab
My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still eating but not playing too much. What could be wrong with her?

Hi Lori and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Ginger is not well.

This is a tough one to answer without actually seeing Ginger but I can give you a few ideas.

My first concern is that she may have picked up a respiratory virus such as kennel cough. While kennel cough usually causes a cough I have seen some dogs who just develop a sneeze or runny nose.

If it is kennel cough most dogs get over it on their own within a few days to possibly a couple of weeks. However, if it starts to affect her appetite or if you are noticing a green discharge from her nose then she may need to see the vet to get some antibiotics.

Another possibility is if your girl has an infection in a tooth root. This can sometimes be hard to find. You can try pressing on each of her top teeth to see if any of them seem sore.

Some dogs can get a foreign object in their nose such as a blade of grass, however, this shouldn't cause her to be lethargic.

It's likely not anything serious and it is probably ok to keep an eye on her for now. Again, if she does not want to eat or if she is having a green discharge, or if she is much more lethargic then a vet visit is a good idea.

Hope she does well!

Dr.Maria, Thanks for your quick response. There is two other dogs in the house. 1 min-pin male neutered and 1 black lab mix that is now in heat. Could that have her in a different mood than we are seeing her in? I will check her teeth and watch other things. I am so bad about taking them to the vet over the lillest thing.

You're very welcome Lori. I don't think having another dog in the house in heat should make Ginger lethargic. It does really sound like there is a medical issue going on.

One point of concern, if she does have kennel cough it can be contagious to your other dogs. However, there is not much you can do to prevent it as it is spread via the air.

Hope they all do ok!

Dr Maria, I just looked up her nose and it looks like what our nose looks like when we have congestion. Her teeth look good. Can dogs get sinus or colds?

Sorry I wasn't able to reply last night...I had gone offline (to go to bed).

Dogs don't really get colds, but a virus such as kennel cough or possibly parainfluenza (which is similar to and even a part of kennel cough) can cause cold-like symptoms.

Another possible thought if she has a gunky discharge from her nose is a fungal infection in the nose but this is relatively uncommon.

Heat symptoms pregnant cat. My cat is pregnant but still acting like she's in season, this has been going on now... (6850 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (7766 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (15452 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (9517 views)

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (25064 views)

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (20533 views)

Getting cat to lose weight. Dear Dr Marie, We have just adopted a fat cat, and are trying to reduce his weight.... (6868 views)

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (19319 views)

Incontinence and balance issues. We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started... (18285 views)

Vomiting foam and not eating. Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the... (50580 views)