Quiet, sneezing dog.

Breed: Choclate Lab
My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still eating but not playing too much. What could be wrong with her?

Hi Lori and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Ginger is not well.

This is a tough one to answer without actually seeing Ginger but I can give you a few ideas.

My first concern is that she may have picked up a respiratory virus such as kennel cough. While kennel cough usually causes a cough I have seen some dogs who just develop a sneeze or runny nose.

If it is kennel cough most dogs get over it on their own within a few days to possibly a couple of weeks. However, if it starts to affect her appetite or if you are noticing a green discharge from her nose then she may need to see the vet to get some antibiotics.

Another possibility is if your girl has an infection in a tooth root. This can sometimes be hard to find. You can try pressing on each of her top teeth to see if any of them seem sore.

Some dogs can get a foreign object in their nose such as a blade of grass, however, this shouldn't cause her to be lethargic.

It's likely not anything serious and it is probably ok to keep an eye on her for now. Again, if she does not want to eat or if she is having a green discharge, or if she is much more lethargic then a vet visit is a good idea.

Hope she does well!

Dr.Maria, Thanks for your quick response. There is two other dogs in the house. 1 min-pin male neutered and 1 black lab mix that is now in heat. Could that have her in a different mood than we are seeing her in? I will check her teeth and watch other things. I am so bad about taking them to the vet over the lillest thing.

You're very welcome Lori. I don't think having another dog in the house in heat should make Ginger lethargic. It does really sound like there is a medical issue going on.

One point of concern, if she does have kennel cough it can be contagious to your other dogs. However, there is not much you can do to prevent it as it is spread via the air.

Hope they all do ok!

Dr Maria, I just looked up her nose and it looks like what our nose looks like when we have congestion. Her teeth look good. Can dogs get sinus or colds?

Sorry I wasn't able to reply last night...I had gone offline (to go to bed).

Dogs don't really get colds, but a virus such as kennel cough or possibly parainfluenza (which is similar to and even a part of kennel cough) can cause cold-like symptoms.

Another possible thought if she has a gunky discharge from her nose is a fungal infection in the nose but this is relatively uncommon.

Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days. Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally... (70298 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (7955 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (17193 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur. Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the... (12104 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (9294 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (7601 views)

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (16909 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (10095 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (4142 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (14124 views)