Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Are these lymph nodes?

Species: Cat
Breed: mixed breed
Age: 2-5 years
I noticed about 2 days ago my 4yr old cat looked like a chipmunk. I felt around her neck and right where her jaw starts there seemed to be a swollen mass on both sides. I don't know if its her salivary glands or lymph nodes. They are about 1/2 the size of golf balls. What do you think could be going on?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

It sounds like you are feeling swollen lymph nodes. Lymph nodes can be swollen because of an infection (i.e. after a cat fight), cancer or a virus such as feline leukemia.

I'd highly advise you to have your vet take a look at London. They can prescribe some antibiotics if they feel it is necessary, and can do some tests to determine if this is something serious or not.

I hope she is ok!

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (25583 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (11651 views)

Ear infection. last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4... (23673 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (15650 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (44427 views)

Calicivirus questions My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said... (11703 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (15254 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (14733 views)

Stimulus sensitive seizures. Hello, My dog is part pomerainean and part something else. He is about 25lbs. He is... (22965 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (22826 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.