White blisters in cat's ears.

Breed: Mixed
My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches and shakes her head, more than is normal for a cat. What is wrong with her? She's 16 years old with kidney disease. The local vet checked her for parasites and found none. They're pretty baffled as to what it could be. We give her Epakitin for kidney disease and the occasional hairball ointment. We have given both to her for about two years without any adverse reaction.

Hmm...I can't say that I have seen something similar to what you are describing. If you are able to get a picture of these blisters you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com. Perhaps that will help.

I'm wondering if she perhaps has an autoimmune disease like pemphigus? This is not very common but can cause blisters in the ears. If this is the case then she may benefit from receiving steroids.

There are some cysts that cats can get in their ears called ceruminous cysts. However, these are usually kind of purple in color and not itchy.

I wish I could give you more info. If you are able to send a picture then I'll see if I can add any more.

I just sent two photos. I hope you can tell something from them. They're very hard to photograph, particularly since there's a lot of contrast between her skin and fur. From what I can tell, they're mostly on the backs of her ears. Our local vet also said she noticed one or two around the mouth, which we haven't been able to detect. Each one is about two or three millimeters wide and feels hard to the touch. I should also note that her fur is matted because we've been applying some ointment our vet gave us. That ear in particular is rather bare from scratching. When she scratches, it's above the eyes and behind the ears. She also loves to have the inside of her ears rubbed, but we've been trying not to do that ever since this became an issue- just in case. Also the red marks are from a scraping the vet did to check for parasites- she nicked some of the lumps.

Overall Isis is getting by very well for her age and considering she has KD. She eats well and even plays now and then. But her poor ears have really had it hard. I should also note that she's strictly an indoor cat, if that matters.

Thanks for the photos. These are definitely not normal lesions.

I would highly consider asking your vet about the possibility of an autoimmune disease such as pemphigus or vasculitis. Vasculitis is usually a reaction to a medication, but sometimes the cause is unknown. We don't know why cats get pemphigus. In either case, steroids may help. In order to get a diagnosis you may need to have a biopsy done.

An allergic reaction could possibly cause lesions like this, but I think an autoimmune condition would be more likely.

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (8794 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (16155 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (9683 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (4980 views)

Dog doesn't like u/d For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you... (18309 views)

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (8437 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (12886 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (24549 views)

Dog having seizures. Hi Dr. Marie, My regular vet left to go on holiday today and after calling the... (13904 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (49584 views)