White blisters in cat's ears.

Breed: Mixed
My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches and shakes her head, more than is normal for a cat. What is wrong with her? She's 16 years old with kidney disease. The local vet checked her for parasites and found none. They're pretty baffled as to what it could be. We give her Epakitin for kidney disease and the occasional hairball ointment. We have given both to her for about two years without any adverse reaction.

Hmm...I can't say that I have seen something similar to what you are describing. If you are able to get a picture of these blisters you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com. Perhaps that will help.

I'm wondering if she perhaps has an autoimmune disease like pemphigus? This is not very common but can cause blisters in the ears. If this is the case then she may benefit from receiving steroids.

There are some cysts that cats can get in their ears called ceruminous cysts. However, these are usually kind of purple in color and not itchy.

I wish I could give you more info. If you are able to send a picture then I'll see if I can add any more.

I just sent two photos. I hope you can tell something from them. They're very hard to photograph, particularly since there's a lot of contrast between her skin and fur. From what I can tell, they're mostly on the backs of her ears. Our local vet also said she noticed one or two around the mouth, which we haven't been able to detect. Each one is about two or three millimeters wide and feels hard to the touch. I should also note that her fur is matted because we've been applying some ointment our vet gave us. That ear in particular is rather bare from scratching. When she scratches, it's above the eyes and behind the ears. She also loves to have the inside of her ears rubbed, but we've been trying not to do that ever since this became an issue- just in case. Also the red marks are from a scraping the vet did to check for parasites- she nicked some of the lumps.

Overall Isis is getting by very well for her age and considering she has KD. She eats well and even plays now and then. But her poor ears have really had it hard. I should also note that she's strictly an indoor cat, if that matters.

Thanks for the photos. These are definitely not normal lesions.

I would highly consider asking your vet about the possibility of an autoimmune disease such as pemphigus or vasculitis. Vasculitis is usually a reaction to a medication, but sometimes the cause is unknown. We don't know why cats get pemphigus. In either case, steroids may help. In order to get a diagnosis you may need to have a biopsy done.

An allergic reaction could possibly cause lesions like this, but I think an autoimmune condition would be more likely.

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (41502 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (6815 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (10597 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (24337 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (36845 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (11884 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (11387 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (9300 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (96803 views)

Where can I buy Tramadol? Steve has a degenerative disease.He is doing well.I give him steroids almost every... (55031 views)