White blisters in cat's ears.

Breed: Mixed
My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches and shakes her head, more than is normal for a cat. What is wrong with her? She's 16 years old with kidney disease. The local vet checked her for parasites and found none. They're pretty baffled as to what it could be. We give her Epakitin for kidney disease and the occasional hairball ointment. We have given both to her for about two years without any adverse reaction.

Hmm...I can't say that I have seen something similar to what you are describing. If you are able to get a picture of these blisters you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com. Perhaps that will help.

I'm wondering if she perhaps has an autoimmune disease like pemphigus? This is not very common but can cause blisters in the ears. If this is the case then she may benefit from receiving steroids.

There are some cysts that cats can get in their ears called ceruminous cysts. However, these are usually kind of purple in color and not itchy.

I wish I could give you more info. If you are able to send a picture then I'll see if I can add any more.

I just sent two photos. I hope you can tell something from them. They're very hard to photograph, particularly since there's a lot of contrast between her skin and fur. From what I can tell, they're mostly on the backs of her ears. Our local vet also said she noticed one or two around the mouth, which we haven't been able to detect. Each one is about two or three millimeters wide and feels hard to the touch. I should also note that her fur is matted because we've been applying some ointment our vet gave us. That ear in particular is rather bare from scratching. When she scratches, it's above the eyes and behind the ears. She also loves to have the inside of her ears rubbed, but we've been trying not to do that ever since this became an issue- just in case. Also the red marks are from a scraping the vet did to check for parasites- she nicked some of the lumps.

Overall Isis is getting by very well for her age and considering she has KD. She eats well and even plays now and then. But her poor ears have really had it hard. I should also note that she's strictly an indoor cat, if that matters.

Thanks for the photos. These are definitely not normal lesions.

I would highly consider asking your vet about the possibility of an autoimmune disease such as pemphigus or vasculitis. Vasculitis is usually a reaction to a medication, but sometimes the cause is unknown. We don't know why cats get pemphigus. In either case, steroids may help. In order to get a diagnosis you may need to have a biopsy done.

An allergic reaction could possibly cause lesions like this, but I think an autoimmune condition would be more likely.

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (126258 views)

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (12796 views)

Red spots on dog's back. my dog scraches all the time i use oatmeal based shampoo--even given her phenergan... (4624 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (105984 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (17627 views)

Do dogs sweat? Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying... (7296 views)

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (152102 views)

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (20413 views)

Vomiting foam and not eating. Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the... (47250 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (19370 views)