Lab not eating.

Breed: Lab
My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has suddenly stopped eating the last two days. We haven't change her foods or meal time. We do a slight variation in her food mix, on a regular basis, to keep it interesting so she doesn't get bored with the same old thing. We have done this her whole life and she has been quit the chow hound. She is drinking more water than usual, and is starting to splash it out on to the floor, which is something she hasn't done since she was a puppy. When she goes out, she has a doggie door, she roams around the yard like she is lost, but does come back in. She is spayed, her nose is normal, her gums are pink and normal, and there are no worms or visual blood in her stool. She is up-to-date with her shots, heart worm, and flea and tick meds. There has been no painting done. There is nothing new in the yard and no seeding, liming or fertalizing has been done in the yard. We are at a loss, other than she is just getting old, and may be nearing the end. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your question. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things when it comes to Dylan's care. However, I'm concerned by some of the symptoms that you have described.

When a lab loses her appetite there is almost always something going on. The loss of appetite is a clue that she is not feeling well. The problem is that dogs will do all they can to hide their sickness and so it is often hard to know what the problem is.

You mentioned that she is drinking more water than usual. This can be a sign of a problem with her kidneys. There are other possibilities as well including a liver problem, cushing's disease (however dogs with cushing's usually eat more) and others.

Sometimes I can see labs have a declining appetite as they get older because they have arthritis pain. However, this is usually a very gradual decline.

I'm concerned that there is a serious medical issue with Dylan. Unfortunately, any guesses at a diagnosis would be just that - guesses.

I would highly advise having your vet take a look at her. They can do a good thorough exam and also some blood and urine tests. This really should tell us what the problem is. It's possible that there is a problem that we can fix easily such as an infection somewhere. But, I think we need to prepare that there could be bad news.

I wish I could give you better (and more hopeful) advice. :(

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (4976 views)

Pregnancy test for dogs? How can I tell if my dog is pregnant? She was with a male dog yesterday and I think... (13892 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (7992 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (3135 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (8684 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (3764 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (18408 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (5437 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (14707 views)

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (6148 views)