Lab not eating.

Breed: Lab
My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has suddenly stopped eating the last two days. We haven't change her foods or meal time. We do a slight variation in her food mix, on a regular basis, to keep it interesting so she doesn't get bored with the same old thing. We have done this her whole life and she has been quit the chow hound. She is drinking more water than usual, and is starting to splash it out on to the floor, which is something she hasn't done since she was a puppy. When she goes out, she has a doggie door, she roams around the yard like she is lost, but does come back in. She is spayed, her nose is normal, her gums are pink and normal, and there are no worms or visual blood in her stool. She is up-to-date with her shots, heart worm, and flea and tick meds. There has been no painting done. There is nothing new in the yard and no seeding, liming or fertalizing has been done in the yard. We are at a loss, other than she is just getting old, and may be nearing the end. Any thoughts?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Thanks for your question. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things when it comes to Dylan's care. However, I'm concerned by some of the symptoms that you have described.

When a lab loses her appetite there is almost always something going on. The loss of appetite is a clue that she is not feeling well. The problem is that dogs will do all they can to hide their sickness and so it is often hard to know what the problem is.

You mentioned that she is drinking more water than usual. This can be a sign of a problem with her kidneys. There are other possibilities as well including a liver problem, cushing's disease (however dogs with cushing's usually eat more) and others.

Sometimes I can see labs have a declining appetite as they get older because they have arthritis pain. However, this is usually a very gradual decline.

I'm concerned that there is a serious medical issue with Dylan. Unfortunately, any guesses at a diagnosis would be just that - guesses.

I would highly advise having your vet take a look at her. They can do a good thorough exam and also some blood and urine tests. This really should tell us what the problem is. It's possible that there is a problem that we can fix easily such as an infection somewhere. But, I think we need to prepare that there could be bad news.

I wish I could give you better (and more hopeful) advice. :(

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (530068 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (13359 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (4428 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (44962 views)

Coughing and not eating. I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal... (3083 views)

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (15942 views)

Blood at end of urine stream. My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central... (11237 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (10277 views)

Bleeding from penis. My Siberian Husky has been bleeding from his penis for the last 2 days, It comes and... (9587 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (4003 views)