Pooping outside of box.

Breed: mixed black/white, m
Hi, I have a 13 year old cat named Dagmar. Apart from being slightly overweight, she is in very good health for a cat her age. She is energetic, eats well, and is extremely affectionate. About six months ago however, she developed a behavior pattern that has caused me frustration and confusion: she began making bowel movements on the floor outside of her litter box. At first I thought she might be having mobility issues, so I bought a new litter box with a lower entry. When that didn't work, I moved the box to a different room, started changing the litter more frequently (I use a 'crystal' cat litter), and tried to 'discipline' her when I caught her in the act. None of these strategies helped. An important note: during this time she has continued to urinate as normal inside the litter box. Please help!

Problems like this can really be frustrating. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things as well. I usually do recommend getting a new box, trying one with a lower entry and moving the box to a new place.

While I won't be able to say for sure what is happening, I have a few thoughts for you.

The first thing I always recommend is a thorough vet exam. At 13, there are several medical conditions that could possibly be contributing to these issues. I have seen cats with hyperthyroidism that have bowel movements outside of the box.

Another very strong possibility is if Dagmar has arthritis near the end of her spine. This is something called lumbosacral syndrome. It can make it painful to squat in the right position for defecation. A lot of the time, for some reason, cats with lumbosacral syndrome feel better if they stand outside of the box and poop. If this is what she has, then sometimes anti-inflammatory medication can help.

If the vet can't find a medical reason, one thing that sometimes helps is to put incontinence pads around the litter box so that she is pooping on the pad. This will make cleanup a little easier. Sometimes, if we can get her pooping on the pad, we can very gradually move the pad so that it is partly inside the box. You may be able to eventually get her to actually go in the box again.

I hope this helps and I hope she is behaving better soon!

Dr. Marie,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I think there's a strong chance Dagmar has the type of arthritis you describe, as I've noticed that she's having more and more trouble jumping onto the bed, couch, etc. recently, and occasionally she looks a little stiff when she walks. I will definitely take her to a vet, and in the meantime try your incontinence pad suggestion.

Sincerely, Aaron

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (10626 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (17792 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (7799 views)

Vomiting dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling... (7481 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (6904 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (26665 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (10041 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (14252 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (15207 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (7073 views)