Bumpy skin on back.

Breed: Calico
My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back and stomach. What do you recommend I do to help her feel better? She might have fleas. We also have another cat and two more dogs. Could that have affect on her? The cats and dogs all get along very well though. Do you recommend medications or food? Please contact me as soon as possible. Cole Sturges - Andersen

Thanks for your question. There definitely is a chance that these skin problems are because of fleas.

You mentioned that she has bumpy itchy skin on her back. Is it in this area?

bumpy skin on back

This is one of the most common areas to see a problem because of fleas.

In some cases, when we get rid of the fleas, the skin problem goes away. But sometimes there can be infection present as well. If this is the case then she would need antibiotics from your vet.

To get rid of fleas, please don't use a pet store product. They simply don't work. Here are some flea products that I recommend:

If it is due to fleas then you need to treat all of the animals in the house because otherwise the fleas will just keep reproducing.

I hope they do ok!

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (6106 views)

Cat not eating much. Hi. My cat as some allergy problems since he is allergic to turkey and corn. For the... (14757 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (13264 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (8210 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (14494 views)

Bloody diarrhea. Hi Marie its 630 and there is no open vet or petstore/grooming in site =( then i... (56069 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (14085 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (21866 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (11898 views)

Bump on ribcage. Hello, I noticed today that the kitten has a hard bone like rounded bump right where... (19335 views)