Bumpy skin on back.

Breed: Calico
My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back and stomach. What do you recommend I do to help her feel better? She might have fleas. We also have another cat and two more dogs. Could that have affect on her? The cats and dogs all get along very well though. Do you recommend medications or food? Please contact me as soon as possible. Cole Sturges - Andersen

Thanks for your question. There definitely is a chance that these skin problems are because of fleas.

You mentioned that she has bumpy itchy skin on her back. Is it in this area?

bumpy skin on back

This is one of the most common areas to see a problem because of fleas.

In some cases, when we get rid of the fleas, the skin problem goes away. But sometimes there can be infection present as well. If this is the case then she would need antibiotics from your vet.

To get rid of fleas, please don't use a pet store product. They simply don't work. Here are some flea products that I recommend:

If it is due to fleas then you need to treat all of the animals in the house because otherwise the fleas will just keep reproducing.

I hope they do ok!

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (11423 views)

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (8188 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (96659 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (17463 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (20809 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (8484 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (26969 views)

Staggering Rottweiler I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She... (10140 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (8380 views)

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (45837 views)