Bumpy skin on back.

Breed: Calico
My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back and stomach. What do you recommend I do to help her feel better? She might have fleas. We also have another cat and two more dogs. Could that have affect on her? The cats and dogs all get along very well though. Do you recommend medications or food? Please contact me as soon as possible. Cole Sturges - Andersen

Thanks for your question. There definitely is a chance that these skin problems are because of fleas.

You mentioned that she has bumpy itchy skin on her back. Is it in this area?

bumpy skin on back

This is one of the most common areas to see a problem because of fleas.

In some cases, when we get rid of the fleas, the skin problem goes away. But sometimes there can be infection present as well. If this is the case then she would need antibiotics from your vet.

To get rid of fleas, please don't use a pet store product. They simply don't work. Here are some flea products that I recommend:

If it is due to fleas then you need to treat all of the animals in the house because otherwise the fleas will just keep reproducing.

I hope they do ok!

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (7404 views)

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (45808 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (32233 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (9867 views)

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (4848 views)

Getting cat to lose weight. Dear Dr Marie, We have just adopted a fat cat, and are trying to reduce his weight.... (5605 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (10791 views)

Rice grain like worms in poop. my dog has rice grain-like worms in her poop. can you tell me what kind they are.... (14656 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (9160 views)

White urine in guinea pig. My Guinea Pigs urine is a white color (or possibly cloudy). Is this something we... (44647 views)