Cat has poop stuck to bum.

Breed: domestic, with ASH e
My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She has never learned to be that clean. She tends to get urine and feces on her backside. She seems to have much more loose skin under her tail and around her hindquarters than most cats. I used to wipe her backside with a wet cloth and would clean up the streaks on the floor (she drags her hind after using the box) but now that she is older and uses food for her fur, urinary tract, etc I can no longer get the smell out of her fur. I have not been able to enjoy her as a lap cat for years, and she has to be confined to non carpeted rooms and away from soft furniture. My question is - would surgery to tighten her skin around her hind help keep her clean. I would really like to solve the problem as she is a sweet girl and would like to give her more attention (like petting her on my lap) but she only gets a few minutes a day. Also she is stressed all the time because she is dirty, and even hides when the feces is really bad on her hind.

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Pookey is having these problems! From what you have described, it certainly is possible that she could get some relief by having surgery to reduce some of the skin flaps. This would, however, be a fairly intensive surgery and may cost a fair amount (i.e. $1500+).

If you are noticing a smell it may be that she has some infection in the skin of that area, either yeast or bacterial. If this is the case then she may need some oral medication to help.

You may also want to have your vet check her anal glands as cats with anal gland issues will often drag their anus on the floor.

Once the problem is resolved, you can consider keeping her back end shaved to make it easier for you to clean her.

I hope she does ok!

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (33719 views)

Shaking after grooming. Millie is an otherwise healthy 8 year old Bijon Poo. Don't know if this is related,... (26683 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (7641 views)

MacuGuard Ocular Support My 13 year-old, 16lbs, Poodle toy is on the Royal Canin Satiety Support, as... (3166 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (3334 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (7514 views)

Old cat with lump on paw. Our family cat is 13 to 15 years old. within the last two weeks she has lost her... (5761 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (10414 views)

Lump on hamster near leg. Hi, My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She... (13230 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (5315 views)