Cat has poop stuck to bum.

Breed: domestic, with ASH e
My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She has never learned to be that clean. She tends to get urine and feces on her backside. She seems to have much more loose skin under her tail and around her hindquarters than most cats. I used to wipe her backside with a wet cloth and would clean up the streaks on the floor (she drags her hind after using the box) but now that she is older and uses food for her fur, urinary tract, etc I can no longer get the smell out of her fur. I have not been able to enjoy her as a lap cat for years, and she has to be confined to non carpeted rooms and away from soft furniture. My question is - would surgery to tighten her skin around her hind help keep her clean. I would really like to solve the problem as she is a sweet girl and would like to give her more attention (like petting her on my lap) but she only gets a few minutes a day. Also she is stressed all the time because she is dirty, and even hides when the feces is really bad on her hind.

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Pookey is having these problems! From what you have described, it certainly is possible that she could get some relief by having surgery to reduce some of the skin flaps. This would, however, be a fairly intensive surgery and may cost a fair amount (i.e. $1500+).

If you are noticing a smell it may be that she has some infection in the skin of that area, either yeast or bacterial. If this is the case then she may need some oral medication to help.

You may also want to have your vet check her anal glands as cats with anal gland issues will often drag their anus on the floor.

Once the problem is resolved, you can consider keeping her back end shaved to make it easier for you to clean her.

I hope she does ok!

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (9143 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (8050 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (6798 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (12465 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (22238 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (9704 views)

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (25734 views)

Swollen penis Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive. I really... (35907 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (3042 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (3312 views)