Cat has poop stuck to bum.

Breed: domestic, with ASH e
My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She has never learned to be that clean. She tends to get urine and feces on her backside. She seems to have much more loose skin under her tail and around her hindquarters than most cats. I used to wipe her backside with a wet cloth and would clean up the streaks on the floor (she drags her hind after using the box) but now that she is older and uses food for her fur, urinary tract, etc I can no longer get the smell out of her fur. I have not been able to enjoy her as a lap cat for years, and she has to be confined to non carpeted rooms and away from soft furniture. My question is - would surgery to tighten her skin around her hind help keep her clean. I would really like to solve the problem as she is a sweet girl and would like to give her more attention (like petting her on my lap) but she only gets a few minutes a day. Also she is stressed all the time because she is dirty, and even hides when the feces is really bad on her hind.

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Pookey is having these problems! From what you have described, it certainly is possible that she could get some relief by having surgery to reduce some of the skin flaps. This would, however, be a fairly intensive surgery and may cost a fair amount (i.e. $1500+).

If you are noticing a smell it may be that she has some infection in the skin of that area, either yeast or bacterial. If this is the case then she may need some oral medication to help.

You may also want to have your vet check her anal glands as cats with anal gland issues will often drag their anus on the floor.

Once the problem is resolved, you can consider keeping her back end shaved to make it easier for you to clean her.

I hope she does ok!

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (6309 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (79116 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (20540 views)

Is Okra toxic to dogs? Without thinking, I gave my dog a small amount (appx 1/4 cup) of oven fried... (50624 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (8336 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (3456 views)

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (7979 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (17089 views)

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (27731 views)

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (4398 views)