Cat has poop stuck to bum.

Breed: domestic, with ASH e
My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She has never learned to be that clean. She tends to get urine and feces on her backside. She seems to have much more loose skin under her tail and around her hindquarters than most cats. I used to wipe her backside with a wet cloth and would clean up the streaks on the floor (she drags her hind after using the box) but now that she is older and uses food for her fur, urinary tract, etc I can no longer get the smell out of her fur. I have not been able to enjoy her as a lap cat for years, and she has to be confined to non carpeted rooms and away from soft furniture. My question is - would surgery to tighten her skin around her hind help keep her clean. I would really like to solve the problem as she is a sweet girl and would like to give her more attention (like petting her on my lap) but she only gets a few minutes a day. Also she is stressed all the time because she is dirty, and even hides when the feces is really bad on her hind.

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Pookey is having these problems! From what you have described, it certainly is possible that she could get some relief by having surgery to reduce some of the skin flaps. This would, however, be a fairly intensive surgery and may cost a fair amount (i.e. $1500+).

If you are noticing a smell it may be that she has some infection in the skin of that area, either yeast or bacterial. If this is the case then she may need some oral medication to help.

You may also want to have your vet check her anal glands as cats with anal gland issues will often drag their anus on the floor.

Once the problem is resolved, you can consider keeping her back end shaved to make it easier for you to clean her.

I hope she does ok!

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (16319 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (15998 views)

Poop caked on bum. I saw that my dog was acting stangely, so I examined him and saw that his bottom is... (23898 views)

Guinea pig noises. Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes... (11997 views)

Possible seizures? Our cat, Teddy, started having episodes of rigid front legs, swaying, and staggering... (8768 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (17377 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (10085 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (7423 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (9339 views)

Itchy red welts on belly. Hi. I have a 4 month old 25lb American Pit Bull puppy name Vino. For the last past... (23281 views)