Cat has poop stuck to bum.

Breed: domestic, with ASH e
My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She has never learned to be that clean. She tends to get urine and feces on her backside. She seems to have much more loose skin under her tail and around her hindquarters than most cats. I used to wipe her backside with a wet cloth and would clean up the streaks on the floor (she drags her hind after using the box) but now that she is older and uses food for her fur, urinary tract, etc I can no longer get the smell out of her fur. I have not been able to enjoy her as a lap cat for years, and she has to be confined to non carpeted rooms and away from soft furniture. My question is - would surgery to tighten her skin around her hind help keep her clean. I would really like to solve the problem as she is a sweet girl and would like to give her more attention (like petting her on my lap) but she only gets a few minutes a day. Also she is stressed all the time because she is dirty, and even hides when the feces is really bad on her hind.

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Pookey is having these problems! From what you have described, it certainly is possible that she could get some relief by having surgery to reduce some of the skin flaps. This would, however, be a fairly intensive surgery and may cost a fair amount (i.e. $1500+).

If you are noticing a smell it may be that she has some infection in the skin of that area, either yeast or bacterial. If this is the case then she may need some oral medication to help.

You may also want to have your vet check her anal glands as cats with anal gland issues will often drag their anus on the floor.

Once the problem is resolved, you can consider keeping her back end shaved to make it easier for you to clean her.

I hope she does ok!

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (14848 views)

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (5879 views)

Puppy and adult dog vomiting. Our 8 yr old lab became ill about 2 weeks ago with occassional vomiting, diarrhea,... (3111 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (7142 views)

Bladder surgery showed no cancer or stones. I am sorry in advance this is a little long. I just wanted to get the right... (7834 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My cat lulu was just attacked by a dog today....i'm a new mommy...and currently... (3762 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (5773 views)

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (4881 views)

Tumor or cystitis? I have a 17-year-old male cat (British short hair). He is in good health, eats and... (7450 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (73039 views)