Tick part left in dog?

Breed: Golden Retriever
I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I know if its head is still in him or not?

How will I know if He gets a disease from the tick or not?

It's not uncommon for people to leave a small piece of head or mouthpiece when trying to remove a tick from a dog. At this point there really isn't much you can do to get any remaining pieces out. Keep an eye on the area. Over the next few weeks if it is getting red, irritated or has a pus discharge at all then have your vet take a look and they will prescribe antibiotics.

There are several diseases that ticks can carry, with lyme disease being the most common. Lyme is more common in some areas than others so it is a good idea to phone your vet to ask if they recommend testing for lyme after a tick has been removed.

If so, then the best time to do a blood test to look for tick borne disease is 4-6 weeks after exposure to the tick.

maggots in guinea pig's cage Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has... (13936 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (9542 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (12337 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (26675 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (31411 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (4774 views)

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (6425 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (19449 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (13380 views)

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (137163 views)