Tick part left in dog?

Breed: Golden Retriever
I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I know if its head is still in him or not?

How will I know if He gets a disease from the tick or not?

It's not uncommon for people to leave a small piece of head or mouthpiece when trying to remove a tick from a dog. At this point there really isn't much you can do to get any remaining pieces out. Keep an eye on the area. Over the next few weeks if it is getting red, irritated or has a pus discharge at all then have your vet take a look and they will prescribe antibiotics.

There are several diseases that ticks can carry, with lyme disease being the most common. Lyme is more common in some areas than others so it is a good idea to phone your vet to ask if they recommend testing for lyme after a tick has been removed.

If so, then the best time to do a blood test to look for tick borne disease is 4-6 weeks after exposure to the tick.

Inverted vulva and puppy vaginitis. I have purchased a Golden Retriever to be used as a new dog for breeding. She is... (34621 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (76294 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (11802 views)

Chances of getting rabies from my dog? My wife was recently bit by my dog. My dog has battled allergies and likes to lick... (29715 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (6087 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (40249 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (8992 views)

Coughing older dog. Parker is a slightly smaller than average Wheaten mix who has been overweight most... (3755 views)

Eucalyptus for fleas. I was washing my 8week old puppy and pored a large amount of Eucalyptus Oil on him..... (11925 views)

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (4021 views)