Lentigo?

Breed: grey and white strip
My cat has weird dark spots on the bald part in front of the ear canal. They look like large weirdly shaped dark freckles and im pretty sure they have not been there forever. Merlin did get ear mites and was cured. Could this be caused by ear mites or is there an underlying cause?

This is a tough one to answer without seeing Merlin.

If these look like freckles they could indeed be that. Some cats can get something called lentigo that can cause black spots on the skin.

As long as these spots are not raised or bothering him I wouldn't be worried. But if they are, then a vet visit is best.

They are not likely to be related to the ear mites.

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (7486 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (12275 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (11679 views)

Drinking a lot and collapse. My boxer, Tank, has recently began drinking water excessively and then pees all over... (21988 views)

White blisters in cat's ears. My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches... (8417 views)

Cat shaking after flea treatment. I accidentally treated my kitten with a store bought flea treatment meant for dogs... (28969 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (16885 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (6414 views)

Tumor grew back. Hello, Our cat Chester had a tumor removed, sarcoma, about the size of a large golf... (5578 views)

Cat having back end problems. Hi Dr. Marie, It's Christmas Eve so the vet here is closed. I hope you're able to... (10995 views)