Fly a puppy in cargo?

Breed: Havanese
Hi Dr Marie.

We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg. I can't find a good answer about shipping the pup. The breeder does it often, and I do trust the breeder; we have a friend here in Halifax who got 2 dogs from her, and had them flown to Halifax. My worry is that we are getting the pup in mid-November. Westjet has one direct flight, so the pup would leave Wpg at 3:00 (local time) and get in Halifax at 11 pm (local time). I think the pup needs to be dropped off a couple hours early, so best case scenario is 8-9 hours from breeder's arms to home. The flight has a stopover in Toronto, for about 40 minutes. Havanese are toys, and the pup will be 9-10 weeks old. If the weather's good, I think I can live with that, but it's November, and it's Canada. Our other option is for me to fly out and bring the pup home in a carry-on so the pup is with me, and in the cabin instead of the cargo hold. Not to be taken lightly, as it's a large additional expense, but we want the puppy to be safe and healthy. What would you advise?

Congrats on your new pup! I love Havanese...and Havanese puppies are about the cutest thing you will ever see!

In my practice I see a lot of dogs that fly all over the world. I am in Canada as well. What I can tell you is that airlines are extremely careful about how they handle animal cargo these days. If you've heard horror stories about extreme cold temperatures in the cargo hold, those are stories from the past. The airlines are extremely careful to treat animals well. If there is ever an incident where an animal's welfare is at stake then this is very bad PR for the airline.

Have you called Westjet to ask if they have issues with you transporting a puppy in cargo? If they don't have age or size restrictions then I would feel very comfortable transporting the pup this way. There really won't be much difference if you take him in the cabin with you other than the extra expense of you going out there.

I hope everything goes well!

Thanks so much, I feel better! The breeder already talked to Westjet (as did I but I didn't know what to ask!), so it should be ok. But it's our first dog and I'm a nervous mom-to-be I guess! Westjet actually uses bigger planes, Air Canada's planes between here and there are smaller.

Thanks again for your help.

JoAnne

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (5122 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (16641 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (7942 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (6155 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (198744 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (117133 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (5823 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (10881 views)

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (13537 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (12280 views)