Fly a puppy in cargo?

Breed: Havanese
Hi Dr Marie.

We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg. I can't find a good answer about shipping the pup. The breeder does it often, and I do trust the breeder; we have a friend here in Halifax who got 2 dogs from her, and had them flown to Halifax. My worry is that we are getting the pup in mid-November. Westjet has one direct flight, so the pup would leave Wpg at 3:00 (local time) and get in Halifax at 11 pm (local time). I think the pup needs to be dropped off a couple hours early, so best case scenario is 8-9 hours from breeder's arms to home. The flight has a stopover in Toronto, for about 40 minutes. Havanese are toys, and the pup will be 9-10 weeks old. If the weather's good, I think I can live with that, but it's November, and it's Canada. Our other option is for me to fly out and bring the pup home in a carry-on so the pup is with me, and in the cabin instead of the cargo hold. Not to be taken lightly, as it's a large additional expense, but we want the puppy to be safe and healthy. What would you advise?

Congrats on your new pup! I love Havanese...and Havanese puppies are about the cutest thing you will ever see!

In my practice I see a lot of dogs that fly all over the world. I am in Canada as well. What I can tell you is that airlines are extremely careful about how they handle animal cargo these days. If you've heard horror stories about extreme cold temperatures in the cargo hold, those are stories from the past. The airlines are extremely careful to treat animals well. If there is ever an incident where an animal's welfare is at stake then this is very bad PR for the airline.

Have you called Westjet to ask if they have issues with you transporting a puppy in cargo? If they don't have age or size restrictions then I would feel very comfortable transporting the pup this way. There really won't be much difference if you take him in the cabin with you other than the extra expense of you going out there.

I hope everything goes well!

Thanks so much, I feel better! The breeder already talked to Westjet (as did I but I didn't know what to ask!), so it should be ok. But it's our first dog and I'm a nervous mom-to-be I guess! Westjet actually uses bigger planes, Air Canada's planes between here and there are smaller.

Thanks again for your help.

JoAnne

Using elastic to remove lump. Rusty was diagnose with "cancer" after giving birth 4 years ago. It was recommended... (7281 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (6701 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (8178 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (11202 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (12838 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (19853 views)

Increase in dog's thirst and urination. My dog has been acting fuuny the past few nights he wakes me up 2-3 times a night to... (9136 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (11361 views)

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (14091 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (8505 views)