Fly a puppy in cargo?

Breed: Havanese
Hi Dr Marie.

We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg. I can't find a good answer about shipping the pup. The breeder does it often, and I do trust the breeder; we have a friend here in Halifax who got 2 dogs from her, and had them flown to Halifax. My worry is that we are getting the pup in mid-November. Westjet has one direct flight, so the pup would leave Wpg at 3:00 (local time) and get in Halifax at 11 pm (local time). I think the pup needs to be dropped off a couple hours early, so best case scenario is 8-9 hours from breeder's arms to home. The flight has a stopover in Toronto, for about 40 minutes. Havanese are toys, and the pup will be 9-10 weeks old. If the weather's good, I think I can live with that, but it's November, and it's Canada. Our other option is for me to fly out and bring the pup home in a carry-on so the pup is with me, and in the cabin instead of the cargo hold. Not to be taken lightly, as it's a large additional expense, but we want the puppy to be safe and healthy. What would you advise?

Congrats on your new pup! I love Havanese...and Havanese puppies are about the cutest thing you will ever see!

In my practice I see a lot of dogs that fly all over the world. I am in Canada as well. What I can tell you is that airlines are extremely careful about how they handle animal cargo these days. If you've heard horror stories about extreme cold temperatures in the cargo hold, those are stories from the past. The airlines are extremely careful to treat animals well. If there is ever an incident where an animal's welfare is at stake then this is very bad PR for the airline.

Have you called Westjet to ask if they have issues with you transporting a puppy in cargo? If they don't have age or size restrictions then I would feel very comfortable transporting the pup this way. There really won't be much difference if you take him in the cabin with you other than the extra expense of you going out there.

I hope everything goes well!

Thanks so much, I feel better! The breeder already talked to Westjet (as did I but I didn't know what to ask!), so it should be ok. But it's our first dog and I'm a nervous mom-to-be I guess! Westjet actually uses bigger planes, Air Canada's planes between here and there are smaller.

Thanks again for your help.

JoAnne

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (17236 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (13979 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (7139 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (10100 views)

Severe liver problems. I took Dillinger to vet on Friday, and after a blood test and urine analysis the vet... (7195 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (28141 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (5405 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (46114 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (13318 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (76978 views)