Is this dog cryptorchid?

Breed: Lagotto Romagnolo
Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5 months dog show three judges described both testicles present; one judge could not find both. Now,only one testicle is outside. I have discussed with current vet et al about situation, but am wondering if I should allow more time for testicle to desend or go ahead with castration understanding risks of cancer, etc? Is it possible to "retrieve" testicle understanding again that more than likely that testicle will not produce any live sperm. I no longer will attempt to bred Jupiter knowing possibility of genetic defect as opposed to the testicle just "went back up", but I would like to show him and he must be "intact". I am also concerned that early castration can inhibit some of his growth due to lack of testostorone. I love Jupi and want best for him, Thank you!

This is an interesting situation. So, if I am understanding things correctly, the testicles were descended, but now only 1 can be found?

It's really not possible for a descended testicle to "go back up" again.

I can think of two possibilities:

1. It's possible that the vet was mistaken when they said they felt two testicles at 8 weeks. This would be hard to mistake though. I think if this happened, it would have to be the type of situation where the vet forgot to palpate and just assumed that they were they. (I could imagine this happening if there was a full litter that was being examined). But, if you were there and saw the vet palpate and they said there were two testicles then there probably were two testicles down at the time.

2. It's possible that the second testicle is not quite in the scrotum but sitting just outside of the scrotum between the scrotum and the inguinal canal. In cases like this, an experienced vet can usually still palpate the testicle, but a judge (who is only used to feeling scrotal testicles) may not notice it.

In either case, the best solution is likely to neuter him. If the testicle is not in the scrotum at 7.5 months then it is extremely extremely unlikely to ever make a complete descent.

If the testicle is sitting just next to the scrotum then there is not much extra health risk to Jupiter if you left it. But, you would not be able to show him, and breeding him would not be a good idea because he could produce cryptorchid puppies, so neutering him is wise.

If the testicle truly isn't able to be palpated then he definitely needs to be neutered. The main reasons for this are that the hidden testicle is more likely to develop cancer. It will still produce sperm. In fact, a hidden testicle will produce extra testosterone (because it is being kept at a higher temperature than the one in the scrotum). So, dogs with one hidden testicle can show more aggression and unwanted male behaviors.

If there is a cryptorchid testicle, there is no way to "retrieve" it to get it into the scrotum.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more concerns.

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (27851 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (11605 views)

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (25518 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (6964 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (34093 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (7970 views)

Blood in urine. I have taken my dog to 2 vets, and had numerous tests. I noticed she was peeing... (5640 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (15471 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (9979 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (11533 views)