Chemical castration of dogs.

Breed: Labrador Retriever
What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark Sciences? Is it worth waiting for a few months to avoid surgical castration?

The product that you're talking about is one formerly called Neutersol and now called Esterisol. The idea of Esterisol is that it is a chemical that is injected into the testicles in order to produce castration. There are pros and cons to this as compared to surgical castration:

Pros
  • A full anesthetic is not needed. (Most times deep sedation is given).

• It may be less expensive than surgery (provided that there are no complications).

Cons
  • The injection can be painful. (However, if proper sedation is given this is reduced. Some vets have reported that dogs actually tolerate the injections well.

• There is a higher risk of complications as compared to surgical castration. Some dogs will get extreme swelling of the testicles or scrotal ulcers afterwards and many of these dogs require surgery in order to remove the entire scrotum. I read of several cases of shelter vets who had used this method of castration and ended up euthanizing dogs who had severe reactions.

• It takes a few months to weeks for the testicles to completely shrink.

• Dogs who have had neutersol injection do not have as low testosterone levels as surgically neutered dogs. Because of this we don't know if chemical castration will have the same benefits in reducing prostate problems and other testosterone related issues later on in life.

• One study showed that many dogs who had chemical castration were later on neutered surgically because they had too many "male" behaviors such as mounting and peeing on things.

In doing some research for you I found out that Neutersol was taken off the market a few years ago. In 2009 the product came back on the market again under the name EsterioSol.

In my opinion there may be some benefit for vets to use this method of castration in situations where surgery is just not possible. For example, in third world countries or in remote places overrun with stray dogs. In these situations the benefit of being able to castrate hundreds of dogs in a short period of time probably outweighs the risk of the side effects.

However, I would not recommend it for any of my patients.

*ADDED*
I was recently contacted by Ark Sciences about my answer to this question. They directed me to this FAQ on the use of Zinc Gluconate for nonsurgical castration. I'm linking to it here so that readers of my website can read their information as well.

I applaud Ark Sciences for continuing to develop and approve a product that will be quite helpful in a number of situations. At this point, I don't feel comfortable recommending the product to my clients, but I can see places where it could be helpful (such as high volume shelters and remote communities).

The FAQ discusses a number of things that can be done to reduce the risk of a reaction. They state this, "As new organizations embark on the use of Zinc Gluconate neutralized with Arginine, they should expect to treat 1-2 dogs with topical ointment for every 100 dogs sterilized and handle one scrotal ulceration needing scrotal ablation and possible castration." In my opinion, 1 scrotal ablation for every 100 dogs is too much, and as such I won't be recommending this product to my clients at this time.

I will be keeping an eye on the product though.

Cause of high ALP? mickey a male is 6 and 1/2 years old. he was prescribed on 8/12/11 rimadyl (1/2 75mg... (14383 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (6598 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (8938 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (26894 views)

Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder? My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination... (41889 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (16707 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (21088 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (27963 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (11558 views)

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (6308 views)