Arthritis prevention.

Breed: German Wirehaired Po
I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know arthritis is a common occurance for older dogs, as it is in humans; is there any type of supplement I should be giving him to help protect his joints? Any response would be appreciated. Thank you!

As far as I know, there is no evidence that supplements can be helpful to protect joints from arthritis. I personally don't recommend any supplements for this purpose.

If I have a dog who has known joint problems I often recommend a product named Cartrophen (or Adequan). This is an injection that is given once a week for a few weeks and then monthly. It helps to improve the health of the joint fluid. It is something that has to be given by your vet though.

You will read a lot of stuff about using glucosamine to help with joint health. There really is no scientific evidence to show that it does much.

The one supplement that may be helpful for overall health, including joint health is a good omega 3/ omega 6 fatty acid supplement.

If you start noticing lameness, stiffness or reluctance to jump or do stairs, then you could consider the Cartrophen or Adequan injections.

Did I cause my cat's brain injuries? hi ya i was playing with my cat and it scrap me bad so i slapped him on the head he... (18090 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7238 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (10661 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (15189 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (17225 views)

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (23105 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (8957 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (5442 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (7377 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (9815 views)