Arthritis prevention.

Breed: German Wirehaired Po
I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know arthritis is a common occurance for older dogs, as it is in humans; is there any type of supplement I should be giving him to help protect his joints? Any response would be appreciated. Thank you!

As far as I know, there is no evidence that supplements can be helpful to protect joints from arthritis. I personally don't recommend any supplements for this purpose.

If I have a dog who has known joint problems I often recommend a product named Cartrophen (or Adequan). This is an injection that is given once a week for a few weeks and then monthly. It helps to improve the health of the joint fluid. It is something that has to be given by your vet though.

You will read a lot of stuff about using glucosamine to help with joint health. There really is no scientific evidence to show that it does much.

The one supplement that may be helpful for overall health, including joint health is a good omega 3/ omega 6 fatty acid supplement.

If you start noticing lameness, stiffness or reluctance to jump or do stairs, then you could consider the Cartrophen or Adequan injections.

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (46768 views)

Did cherry eye surgery fail? My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this... (27076 views)

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (20589 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (11023 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (15124 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (22799 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (12375 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (6756 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (19261 views)

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (16778 views)