Arthritis prevention.

Breed: German Wirehaired Po
I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know arthritis is a common occurance for older dogs, as it is in humans; is there any type of supplement I should be giving him to help protect his joints? Any response would be appreciated. Thank you!

As far as I know, there is no evidence that supplements can be helpful to protect joints from arthritis. I personally don't recommend any supplements for this purpose.

If I have a dog who has known joint problems I often recommend a product named Cartrophen (or Adequan). This is an injection that is given once a week for a few weeks and then monthly. It helps to improve the health of the joint fluid. It is something that has to be given by your vet though.

You will read a lot of stuff about using glucosamine to help with joint health. There really is no scientific evidence to show that it does much.

The one supplement that may be helpful for overall health, including joint health is a good omega 3/ omega 6 fatty acid supplement.

If you start noticing lameness, stiffness or reluctance to jump or do stairs, then you could consider the Cartrophen or Adequan injections.

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (25445 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (29259 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (14078 views)

Cat has high ALT. my cat was diagnosed with high alt liver enzyme and hi white blood cell count in... (26867 views)

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (6180 views)

What breed is my dog? Hello I Always Wanted To Know What Breed Or Type My Dog Is ? It's A Russian Small... (7245 views)

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (7220 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (7155 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (7779 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (7824 views)