Arthritis prevention.

Breed: German Wirehaired Po
I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know arthritis is a common occurance for older dogs, as it is in humans; is there any type of supplement I should be giving him to help protect his joints? Any response would be appreciated. Thank you!

As far as I know, there is no evidence that supplements can be helpful to protect joints from arthritis. I personally don't recommend any supplements for this purpose.

If I have a dog who has known joint problems I often recommend a product named Cartrophen (or Adequan). This is an injection that is given once a week for a few weeks and then monthly. It helps to improve the health of the joint fluid. It is something that has to be given by your vet though.

You will read a lot of stuff about using glucosamine to help with joint health. There really is no scientific evidence to show that it does much.

The one supplement that may be helpful for overall health, including joint health is a good omega 3/ omega 6 fatty acid supplement.

If you start noticing lameness, stiffness or reluctance to jump or do stairs, then you could consider the Cartrophen or Adequan injections.

Pregnancy symptoms in dogs. Hi Dr Marie My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This... (15247 views)

Dog ate collar. Our dog ate half of a leather, metal studded collar about a week ago, which after a... (14026 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (67475 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (57444 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (18471 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (5469 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (7143 views)

Male rabbits mounting. i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and... (42896 views)

Red bumps on belly. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his... (13447 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (7642 views)