Arthritis prevention.

Breed: German Wirehaired Po
I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know arthritis is a common occurance for older dogs, as it is in humans; is there any type of supplement I should be giving him to help protect his joints? Any response would be appreciated. Thank you!

As far as I know, there is no evidence that supplements can be helpful to protect joints from arthritis. I personally don't recommend any supplements for this purpose.

If I have a dog who has known joint problems I often recommend a product named Cartrophen (or Adequan). This is an injection that is given once a week for a few weeks and then monthly. It helps to improve the health of the joint fluid. It is something that has to be given by your vet though.

You will read a lot of stuff about using glucosamine to help with joint health. There really is no scientific evidence to show that it does much.

The one supplement that may be helpful for overall health, including joint health is a good omega 3/ omega 6 fatty acid supplement.

If you start noticing lameness, stiffness or reluctance to jump or do stairs, then you could consider the Cartrophen or Adequan injections.

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (10927 views)

Possibly hip dysplasia. Dear Dr. Marie, I recently had to put my dog down as he was only two and a half... (8461 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (11570 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (44028 views)

Coughing cat. One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like... (7209 views)

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (52211 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (14971 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (8946 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (23303 views)

Does Hartz kill roundworms? well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or... (11180 views)