Why is my hamster biting me?

Breed: Winter White
My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on the day I bought him, the first time I held him, he never bit me. Then I got a bunny and a double Decker rabbit hutch. I moved the hamster to his new home. I had the hamster on the top and the bunny on the bottom. I told the pet store person that he was biting me and he suggested moving the hamster because he was mad at me for getting a bunny. I recently did, and about 3 or 4 days ago, I tried picking him up out of his cage, and he bit me 3 times. Why is he still biting me ?

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem!

Some hamsters are really prone to biting. I have been bitten a few times by my hamster patients.

Most hamsters do not enjoy being handled. If your hamster used to allow you to pick him up and now he doesn't it may be that he has fear, and it is possible that that fear came from being so close to the bunny.

Here is what I suggest. Is there a treat that your hamster likes such as a piece of vegetable? Next time Ewok is in his wheel, hold out your hand next to the wheel and offer him a treat. Don't make any attempt to pick him up until you have done this for a few days in a row and he is coming willingly to you.

He needs to learn that he does not need to have fear.

I hope he does better soon!

Rapid breathing while sleeping. I own a white female boxer. She born in oct. 30,2009. I notice when she's sleeping... (13350 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (19361 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (49499 views)

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (7001 views)

Spots all over body. Hi My staffordshire bull terrier has little spots all over his body almost like... (12678 views)

Vomiting yorkie. Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that... (21434 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (37170 views)

Connection between dandruff and diabetes? My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x... (14672 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (14937 views)

Good cat foods. Hi Dr.! I'm currently a new cat owner. I found peachie wandering near the new... (14411 views)