Why is my hamster biting me?

Breed: Winter White
My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on the day I bought him, the first time I held him, he never bit me. Then I got a bunny and a double Decker rabbit hutch. I moved the hamster to his new home. I had the hamster on the top and the bunny on the bottom. I told the pet store person that he was biting me and he suggested moving the hamster because he was mad at me for getting a bunny. I recently did, and about 3 or 4 days ago, I tried picking him up out of his cage, and he bit me 3 times. Why is he still biting me ?

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem!

Some hamsters are really prone to biting. I have been bitten a few times by my hamster patients.

Most hamsters do not enjoy being handled. If your hamster used to allow you to pick him up and now he doesn't it may be that he has fear, and it is possible that that fear came from being so close to the bunny.

Here is what I suggest. Is there a treat that your hamster likes such as a piece of vegetable? Next time Ewok is in his wheel, hold out your hand next to the wheel and offer him a treat. Don't make any attempt to pick him up until you have done this for a few days in a row and he is coming willingly to you.

He needs to learn that he does not need to have fear.

I hope he does better soon!

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (26806 views)

Itchy ear Hi Dr. I have a 9 month old neutered male golden. Beginning last Saturday he... (15374 views)

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (11848 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (8846 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (7294 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (22741 views)

Wheatgrass for cats? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a question for Fei Meow again. As Fei Meow is very happy... (25110 views)

Dachshund with seizures. Gina had an episode that looked like a seizure about 1.5 years ago for a first time.... (11826 views)

Dog drinks every 20 minutes. I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating... (18665 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (19540 views)