Why is my hamster biting me?

Breed: Winter White
My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on the day I bought him, the first time I held him, he never bit me. Then I got a bunny and a double Decker rabbit hutch. I moved the hamster to his new home. I had the hamster on the top and the bunny on the bottom. I told the pet store person that he was biting me and he suggested moving the hamster because he was mad at me for getting a bunny. I recently did, and about 3 or 4 days ago, I tried picking him up out of his cage, and he bit me 3 times. Why is he still biting me ?

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem!

Some hamsters are really prone to biting. I have been bitten a few times by my hamster patients.

Most hamsters do not enjoy being handled. If your hamster used to allow you to pick him up and now he doesn't it may be that he has fear, and it is possible that that fear came from being so close to the bunny.

Here is what I suggest. Is there a treat that your hamster likes such as a piece of vegetable? Next time Ewok is in his wheel, hold out your hand next to the wheel and offer him a treat. Don't make any attempt to pick him up until you have done this for a few days in a row and he is coming willingly to you.

He needs to learn that he does not need to have fear.

I hope he does better soon!

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (13008 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (28412 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (45808 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (39845 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (34978 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (7121 views)

Vomiting and elevated liver enzymes. Hi Dr. Marie, I don't know the appropriate name for my dog's breed, but I have... (27445 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (10155 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (10112 views)

Rat bleeding from eye. It started about 4-5 weeks ago when I noticed my girl was bleeding from her eye and... (20960 views)