Why is my hamster biting me?

Breed: Winter White
My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on the day I bought him, the first time I held him, he never bit me. Then I got a bunny and a double Decker rabbit hutch. I moved the hamster to his new home. I had the hamster on the top and the bunny on the bottom. I told the pet store person that he was biting me and he suggested moving the hamster because he was mad at me for getting a bunny. I recently did, and about 3 or 4 days ago, I tried picking him up out of his cage, and he bit me 3 times. Why is he still biting me ?

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem!

Some hamsters are really prone to biting. I have been bitten a few times by my hamster patients.

Most hamsters do not enjoy being handled. If your hamster used to allow you to pick him up and now he doesn't it may be that he has fear, and it is possible that that fear came from being so close to the bunny.

Here is what I suggest. Is there a treat that your hamster likes such as a piece of vegetable? Next time Ewok is in his wheel, hold out your hand next to the wheel and offer him a treat. Don't make any attempt to pick him up until you have done this for a few days in a row and he is coming willingly to you.

He needs to learn that he does not need to have fear.

I hope he does better soon!

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (8337 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (15296 views)

Dog ate collar. Our dog ate half of a leather, metal studded collar about a week ago, which after a... (13426 views)

Puppy stepped on. my 7 wk old pure staffie has just been accidently stood on by one foot of my 14-15... (39697 views)

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (35370 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (10622 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (29048 views)

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (20935 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (5004 views)

Dog diarrhea problems. Hi Dr, This is an update to a previous question. Max is over 10 wks old now... (36006 views)