Black widow spider bite.

Breed: ??
Hi,
A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her bathroom. She said her cat was perfectly fine the night before because she let it outside and it was running around and playing then before bed she let it back in the house. It was still acting the same way, like itself. When she woke up this morning, she found it laying dead in her bathroom. She said one side of its mouth was swollen and there was a dead spider laying by the cat.

What could have caused the cat to die, with just one side of her mouth swollen? Could the spider have bit it?

I don't got the money to pay for a quick reply back but it has really upset her and I feel terribly bad because she rescued this cat when it was just a few weeks old when she found the momma cat dead. She has grown amazing attached to this cat and has had it for a little over a year.. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with what could have caused this to her cat.

Please, please help. Thank you so much.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's cat.

Where I live there are no spiders that have a fatal bite. However, if you have black widow spiders in your area then the bite of this spider can be fatal, especially to cats. The black widow spider produces a toxin that seriously affects the central nervous system.

If this wasn't because of a spider bite, then the most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is something called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which is a heart condition. Cats with this heart condition can sometimes have no outward symptoms and then suddenly the heart can fail. If this is the case then there was nothing anything could have done to prevent the cat's death.

However, as HCM doesn't cause swelling by the mouth, I'm guessing this was indeed a bite from a black widow spider.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Atropine? I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and... (6062 views)

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (12836 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (21868 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (11490 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (10304 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (18698 views)

Coughing after spay. My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still... (13218 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (8008 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (21779 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (134198 views)