Black widow spider bite.

Breed: ??
Hi,
A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her bathroom. She said her cat was perfectly fine the night before because she let it outside and it was running around and playing then before bed she let it back in the house. It was still acting the same way, like itself. When she woke up this morning, she found it laying dead in her bathroom. She said one side of its mouth was swollen and there was a dead spider laying by the cat.

What could have caused the cat to die, with just one side of her mouth swollen? Could the spider have bit it?

I don't got the money to pay for a quick reply back but it has really upset her and I feel terribly bad because she rescued this cat when it was just a few weeks old when she found the momma cat dead. She has grown amazing attached to this cat and has had it for a little over a year.. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with what could have caused this to her cat.

Please, please help. Thank you so much.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's cat.

Where I live there are no spiders that have a fatal bite. However, if you have black widow spiders in your area then the bite of this spider can be fatal, especially to cats. The black widow spider produces a toxin that seriously affects the central nervous system.

If this wasn't because of a spider bite, then the most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is something called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which is a heart condition. Cats with this heart condition can sometimes have no outward symptoms and then suddenly the heart can fail. If this is the case then there was nothing anything could have done to prevent the cat's death.

However, as HCM doesn't cause swelling by the mouth, I'm guessing this was indeed a bite from a black widow spider.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (7583 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (7012 views)

Xray for hip dysplasia? Hi Dr, I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check... (7146 views)

Rapid breathing in sleep. My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out... (121811 views)

Saddle thrombus in a dog. In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how... (9687 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (100925 views)

Red liquid in rats eyes. My rat has no energy and she has red liquid comimg out her eyes and she is shaking... (12955 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (11893 views)

Gradual change of food? Hello, I reside in South Korea and I am the father of 3 cocker spaniels. Recently... (10056 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (198855 views)