Black widow spider bite.

Breed: ??
Hi,
A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her bathroom. She said her cat was perfectly fine the night before because she let it outside and it was running around and playing then before bed she let it back in the house. It was still acting the same way, like itself. When she woke up this morning, she found it laying dead in her bathroom. She said one side of its mouth was swollen and there was a dead spider laying by the cat.

What could have caused the cat to die, with just one side of her mouth swollen? Could the spider have bit it?

I don't got the money to pay for a quick reply back but it has really upset her and I feel terribly bad because she rescued this cat when it was just a few weeks old when she found the momma cat dead. She has grown amazing attached to this cat and has had it for a little over a year.. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with what could have caused this to her cat.

Please, please help. Thank you so much.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's cat.

Where I live there are no spiders that have a fatal bite. However, if you have black widow spiders in your area then the bite of this spider can be fatal, especially to cats. The black widow spider produces a toxin that seriously affects the central nervous system.

If this wasn't because of a spider bite, then the most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is something called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which is a heart condition. Cats with this heart condition can sometimes have no outward symptoms and then suddenly the heart can fail. If this is the case then there was nothing anything could have done to prevent the cat's death.

However, as HCM doesn't cause swelling by the mouth, I'm guessing this was indeed a bite from a black widow spider.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (5288 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (7728 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (11538 views)

Vomiting and bloody stool. We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have... (14194 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (6398 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (29134 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4143 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (5826 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (11737 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (9153 views)