Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain.

Breed: Newfoundland/mix
Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The problem is that he has had several episodes of neck problem, walking with his neck and head twisted to the left. When that occurs he is obviously in pain and down. He normally recups in 2 or 3 days.
Our vet prescribed Prednisone 20 mg every other day, and Tramadol 50 mg for the pain. When the symptoms go away we stop the medications. The vet took X rays and concluded that it must be a pinched nerve. Lately he recommended physical therapy which we are about to start.
Are we on the right track?
Thanks Dr. Marie

Sending pictures of Seymour

Sorry to hear that Seymour is having these problems. Neck problems are no fun at all.

Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory medication. However, it sounds like your vet has Seymour on a very small dose. Tramadol is a very good pain reliever. It is not something I generally use for long term but it is good for flare ups.

You may want to talk to you vet and ask if Seymour could benefit from long term pain relief with a medication such as Metacam, Rimadyl or Previcox. However, these medications can't be given with Prednisone.

If Seymour seems to be improving then I would recommend to keep doing what you are doing. The physical therapy will likely help as well provided that it is performed by someone who is trained in physical therapy for animals.

If you feel that he is not improving you can ask your vet if it would be a good idea to increase the dose of his prednisone.

I generally find that neck issues take anywhere from 2 days to a week to improve in most cases.

I also usually recommend strict rest - definitely no stairs and no jumping.

I hope things are better soon!

Thanks Dr. Marie for your prompt reply. I understand about the recommended medicine and the need for rest. What is your experience for the long run in these cases? Does the problem go away? if not, is there a way to find out where the injury is and treat it?
Thanks again

I have found that in most cases the problem does really get better. I do have some patients that have recurring problems once or twice a year though.

You could have more tests done that *might* find the root cause. The problem is that they are expensive. A myelogram would likely help determine if there is a disk problem. And if so, surgery is possible. However, in most cases we wouldn't do surgery unless there was obvious disc protrusion causing neurological problems. It doesn't sound like Seymour's situation is as serious.

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (9484 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (38929 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (11546 views)

Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia? Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9... (16919 views)

Blood blisters on a cat My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and... (19715 views)

Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism? My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in... (8550 views)

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (154609 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (27653 views)

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (85031 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (6135 views)