Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain.

Breed: Newfoundland/mix
Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The problem is that he has had several episodes of neck problem, walking with his neck and head twisted to the left. When that occurs he is obviously in pain and down. He normally recups in 2 or 3 days.
Our vet prescribed Prednisone 20 mg every other day, and Tramadol 50 mg for the pain. When the symptoms go away we stop the medications. The vet took X rays and concluded that it must be a pinched nerve. Lately he recommended physical therapy which we are about to start.
Are we on the right track?
Thanks Dr. Marie

Sending pictures of Seymour

Sorry to hear that Seymour is having these problems. Neck problems are no fun at all.

Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory medication. However, it sounds like your vet has Seymour on a very small dose. Tramadol is a very good pain reliever. It is not something I generally use for long term but it is good for flare ups.

You may want to talk to you vet and ask if Seymour could benefit from long term pain relief with a medication such as Metacam, Rimadyl or Previcox. However, these medications can't be given with Prednisone.

If Seymour seems to be improving then I would recommend to keep doing what you are doing. The physical therapy will likely help as well provided that it is performed by someone who is trained in physical therapy for animals.

If you feel that he is not improving you can ask your vet if it would be a good idea to increase the dose of his prednisone.

I generally find that neck issues take anywhere from 2 days to a week to improve in most cases.

I also usually recommend strict rest - definitely no stairs and no jumping.

I hope things are better soon!

Thanks Dr. Marie for your prompt reply. I understand about the recommended medicine and the need for rest. What is your experience for the long run in these cases? Does the problem go away? if not, is there a way to find out where the injury is and treat it?
Thanks again

I have found that in most cases the problem does really get better. I do have some patients that have recurring problems once or twice a year though.

You could have more tests done that *might* find the root cause. The problem is that they are expensive. A myelogram would likely help determine if there is a disk problem. And if so, surgery is possible. However, in most cases we wouldn't do surgery unless there was obvious disc protrusion causing neurological problems. It doesn't sound like Seymour's situation is as serious.

Can dogs eat fruits and vegetables? Can dogs eat vegatbles or fruits. Thank... (11445 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (7398 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (33213 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (9114 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (9943 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (44145 views)

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (10466 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (9907 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (7460 views)

Trifexis side effects I just read your article about Trifexis and was very disturbed. We have three... (7782 views)