Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain.

Breed: Newfoundland/mix
Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The problem is that he has had several episodes of neck problem, walking with his neck and head twisted to the left. When that occurs he is obviously in pain and down. He normally recups in 2 or 3 days.
Our vet prescribed Prednisone 20 mg every other day, and Tramadol 50 mg for the pain. When the symptoms go away we stop the medications. The vet took X rays and concluded that it must be a pinched nerve. Lately he recommended physical therapy which we are about to start.
Are we on the right track?
Thanks Dr. Marie

Sending pictures of Seymour

Sorry to hear that Seymour is having these problems. Neck problems are no fun at all.

Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory medication. However, it sounds like your vet has Seymour on a very small dose. Tramadol is a very good pain reliever. It is not something I generally use for long term but it is good for flare ups.

You may want to talk to you vet and ask if Seymour could benefit from long term pain relief with a medication such as Metacam, Rimadyl or Previcox. However, these medications can't be given with Prednisone.

If Seymour seems to be improving then I would recommend to keep doing what you are doing. The physical therapy will likely help as well provided that it is performed by someone who is trained in physical therapy for animals.

If you feel that he is not improving you can ask your vet if it would be a good idea to increase the dose of his prednisone.

I generally find that neck issues take anywhere from 2 days to a week to improve in most cases.

I also usually recommend strict rest - definitely no stairs and no jumping.

I hope things are better soon!

Thanks Dr. Marie for your prompt reply. I understand about the recommended medicine and the need for rest. What is your experience for the long run in these cases? Does the problem go away? if not, is there a way to find out where the injury is and treat it?
Thanks again

I have found that in most cases the problem does really get better. I do have some patients that have recurring problems once or twice a year though.

You could have more tests done that *might* find the root cause. The problem is that they are expensive. A myelogram would likely help determine if there is a disk problem. And if so, surgery is possible. However, in most cases we wouldn't do surgery unless there was obvious disc protrusion causing neurological problems. It doesn't sound like Seymour's situation is as serious.

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (15963 views)

Chronic diarrhea. Hi, My 2 1/2 year old Siberian has had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 weeks.... (13509 views)

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (33055 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (7852 views)

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (10941 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (10391 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (16645 views)

Shaking after grooming. Millie is an otherwise healthy 8 year old Bijon Poo. Don't know if this is related,... (45085 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (10592 views)

Cat is dying. I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was... (12405 views)