Tumor on spinal cord.

Breed: Shetland Shetie
My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his spinal cord and therefore his back legs has little response. The vet said that he is too old and the tumor is getting bigger and no treatment is available. I want to look for a second opinion before we decide to put him to sleep. Your help and comments will really be useful. Thanks in advance.

Oh I am sorry to hear about Loklok's diagnosis of a spinal tumor. From what you have described it sounds like there really is not much that can be done. I have heard of some cases where a tumor that is pushing on the spinal cord could be removed, but these are rare. In most cases, a tumor in this area is inoperable. If it was one of the rare ones where surgery could be done then it would definitely need to be done by a specialist and would be extremely expensive.

However, if it is at the point where he has no nervous response in his hind legs then this means that significant damage is being done in the spinal cord. I think that the chances of a surgical cure would be almost nothing.

I wish I had better news for you. I know that the decision to euthanize is never easy, but it sounds like this is the kindest option for Loklok.

Dear Dr Marie,
If this is the case, when should I consider putting loklok to sleep? And how is the process?

This decision is one that is best made with the help of your veterinarian. If they feel that Loklok is in pain or uncomfortable now then euthanasia really should be done soon.

Here is more information on the euthanasia procedure.

It is usually quite peaceful.

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (6509 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (14296 views)

Older cat problems. My cat is eating constantly. Every hour or two she cries at me to eat. And she's... (9713 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (15261 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (10630 views)

Tylosin responsive diarrhea. In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts"... (7015 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (6906 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (7738 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (32439 views)

Using elastic to remove lump. Rusty was diagnose with "cancer" after giving birth 4 years ago. It was recommended... (7102 views)