Tumor on spinal cord.

Breed: Shetland Shetie
My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his spinal cord and therefore his back legs has little response. The vet said that he is too old and the tumor is getting bigger and no treatment is available. I want to look for a second opinion before we decide to put him to sleep. Your help and comments will really be useful. Thanks in advance.

Oh I am sorry to hear about Loklok's diagnosis of a spinal tumor. From what you have described it sounds like there really is not much that can be done. I have heard of some cases where a tumor that is pushing on the spinal cord could be removed, but these are rare. In most cases, a tumor in this area is inoperable. If it was one of the rare ones where surgery could be done then it would definitely need to be done by a specialist and would be extremely expensive.

However, if it is at the point where he has no nervous response in his hind legs then this means that significant damage is being done in the spinal cord. I think that the chances of a surgical cure would be almost nothing.

I wish I had better news for you. I know that the decision to euthanize is never easy, but it sounds like this is the kindest option for Loklok.

Dear Dr Marie,
If this is the case, when should I consider putting loklok to sleep? And how is the process?

This decision is one that is best made with the help of your veterinarian. If they feel that Loklok is in pain or uncomfortable now then euthanasia really should be done soon.

Here is more information on the euthanasia procedure.

It is usually quite peaceful.

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (6094 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (10333 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (31770 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (35983 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (14811 views)

Patches of fur loss. My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck... (10894 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (13864 views)

Dog has heart murmur. Hello, Dr. Marie: When my dog was still a puppy, the vet told me that she had a 3... (35768 views)

Black spot on tongue. My dog, Bogey, has developed a black spot on his tongue about 3 months ago. It was a... (24667 views)

Will spay terminate pregnancy? It is a possibility my dog might be pregnant. But my mom wants to get her spayed... (14431 views)