Tumor on spinal cord.

Breed: Shetland Shetie
My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his spinal cord and therefore his back legs has little response. The vet said that he is too old and the tumor is getting bigger and no treatment is available. I want to look for a second opinion before we decide to put him to sleep. Your help and comments will really be useful. Thanks in advance.

Oh I am sorry to hear about Loklok's diagnosis of a spinal tumor. From what you have described it sounds like there really is not much that can be done. I have heard of some cases where a tumor that is pushing on the spinal cord could be removed, but these are rare. In most cases, a tumor in this area is inoperable. If it was one of the rare ones where surgery could be done then it would definitely need to be done by a specialist and would be extremely expensive.

However, if it is at the point where he has no nervous response in his hind legs then this means that significant damage is being done in the spinal cord. I think that the chances of a surgical cure would be almost nothing.

I wish I had better news for you. I know that the decision to euthanize is never easy, but it sounds like this is the kindest option for Loklok.

Dear Dr Marie,
If this is the case, when should I consider putting loklok to sleep? And how is the process?

This decision is one that is best made with the help of your veterinarian. If they feel that Loklok is in pain or uncomfortable now then euthanasia really should be done soon.

Here is more information on the euthanasia procedure.

It is usually quite peaceful.

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (16640 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (8845 views)

GNRH implant I am asking about the GnRH implant to bring a dog into heat. MY FIRST MAIN... (13229 views)

Submissive urination. I adopted this dog on Thursday. I took him to the vets on Friday and he was checked... (12669 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (31420 views)

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (10690 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (11657 views)

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (20540 views)

Mom misses puppies. Our boxer had 2 pups both died, she has taken on a stuffed animal replacement but is... (8310 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (12231 views)