Tumor on spinal cord.

Breed: Shetland Shetie
My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his spinal cord and therefore his back legs has little response. The vet said that he is too old and the tumor is getting bigger and no treatment is available. I want to look for a second opinion before we decide to put him to sleep. Your help and comments will really be useful. Thanks in advance.

Oh I am sorry to hear about Loklok's diagnosis of a spinal tumor. From what you have described it sounds like there really is not much that can be done. I have heard of some cases where a tumor that is pushing on the spinal cord could be removed, but these are rare. In most cases, a tumor in this area is inoperable. If it was one of the rare ones where surgery could be done then it would definitely need to be done by a specialist and would be extremely expensive.

However, if it is at the point where he has no nervous response in his hind legs then this means that significant damage is being done in the spinal cord. I think that the chances of a surgical cure would be almost nothing.

I wish I had better news for you. I know that the decision to euthanize is never easy, but it sounds like this is the kindest option for Loklok.

Dear Dr Marie,
If this is the case, when should I consider putting loklok to sleep? And how is the process?

This decision is one that is best made with the help of your veterinarian. If they feel that Loklok is in pain or uncomfortable now then euthanasia really should be done soon.

Here is more information on the euthanasia procedure.

It is usually quite peaceful.

Dog scared of people. Hi My dog is very scared of people. she is a year old and has been scared of new... (12957 views)

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (29367 views)

How to get cat to eat. I have a cat that developed anorexia. She lost so much weight that she developed... (7634 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (22252 views)

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (14720 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (15932 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (10927 views)

Bladder surgery showed no cancer or stones. I am sorry in advance this is a little long. I just wanted to get the right... (13185 views)

Dog can't stand. Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or... (12702 views)

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (29561 views)