Lymph node enlargement.

Breed: Rot/sheperd/7 other
Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was the start of her 4th and final round of chemo on the CHOP protocol (vincristine, cytoxan, vincristine, doxorubicin). Lola has tolerated chemo well and has been in clinical remission since the 3rd week of treatment. However, today during consultation after her vincristine treatment I was told that her lymphnodes under her jaw were slightly enlarged compared to other weeks. They weren't large enough for the oncologist to perform an aspiration, but this news was still worrisome to me. If the nodes weren't large enough to warrant an aspiration, should I worry? Is it normal for the lymphnodes to be slightly enlarged for any reason other than cancer? I know she is getting the best possible care because I drive her all the way to Texas A&M small animal clinic from houston. I just don't see how she could have been responding so well to the CHOP protocol so well for the first 16 of the 19 week protocol, to now have issues. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Oh I am sorry to hear about Lola.

There are other possible reasons for lymph node enlargement that don't involve cancer. For example, an infection can cause a lymph node to be enlarged. A systemic infection that affects the whole body could cause more than one lymph node to be enlarged. However, as she has a history of having lymphoma, the most likely culprit for lymph nodes to be enlarged is indeed cancer.

Now, if the oncologist says that they have trouble aspirating the lymph node, then there can't be too much enlargement. Sometimes deciding on whether or not lymph node is enlarged can be very subjective. I have had cases where one that felt that there was lymph node enlargement and another vet didn't. So, it is possible that there is nothing new going on.

At this point, unfortunately, all we can do is wait and see what happens. On her next visit, I'm sure the vet will have another feel and see if the nodes are enlarging even more. If so, they will likely aspirate to see if there is cancer there. You're right that Lola is getting the best of care. Trust your vets and the advice that they give.

I hope that things work out okay. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (72038 views)

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (9644 views)

Rat Lifespan? Sick rat. My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes... (9985 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (10215 views)

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (4966 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (8289 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (5967 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (15431 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (46909 views)

Cat not eating much. Hi. My cat as some allergy problems since he is allergic to turkey and corn. For the... (10143 views)