Lymph node enlargement.

Breed: Rot/sheperd/7 other
Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was the start of her 4th and final round of chemo on the CHOP protocol (vincristine, cytoxan, vincristine, doxorubicin). Lola has tolerated chemo well and has been in clinical remission since the 3rd week of treatment. However, today during consultation after her vincristine treatment I was told that her lymphnodes under her jaw were slightly enlarged compared to other weeks. They weren't large enough for the oncologist to perform an aspiration, but this news was still worrisome to me. If the nodes weren't large enough to warrant an aspiration, should I worry? Is it normal for the lymphnodes to be slightly enlarged for any reason other than cancer? I know she is getting the best possible care because I drive her all the way to Texas A&M small animal clinic from houston. I just don't see how she could have been responding so well to the CHOP protocol so well for the first 16 of the 19 week protocol, to now have issues. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Oh I am sorry to hear about Lola.

There are other possible reasons for lymph node enlargement that don't involve cancer. For example, an infection can cause a lymph node to be enlarged. A systemic infection that affects the whole body could cause more than one lymph node to be enlarged. However, as she has a history of having lymphoma, the most likely culprit for lymph nodes to be enlarged is indeed cancer.

Now, if the oncologist says that they have trouble aspirating the lymph node, then there can't be too much enlargement. Sometimes deciding on whether or not lymph node is enlarged can be very subjective. I have had cases where one that felt that there was lymph node enlargement and another vet didn't. So, it is possible that there is nothing new going on.

At this point, unfortunately, all we can do is wait and see what happens. On her next visit, I'm sure the vet will have another feel and see if the nodes are enlarging even more. If so, they will likely aspirate to see if there is cancer there. You're right that Lola is getting the best of care. Trust your vets and the advice that they give.

I hope that things work out okay. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (7131 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (21386 views)

Do dogs get sciatica? Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping... (14254 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (17338 views)

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (11614 views)

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (57820 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (7307 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (53049 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (8905 views)

Elderly cat not eating. my cat is elderly, arthritic and diabetic - but very lovely :) she was diagnosed... (6051 views)