Lymph node enlargement.

Breed: Rot/sheperd/7 other
Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was the start of her 4th and final round of chemo on the CHOP protocol (vincristine, cytoxan, vincristine, doxorubicin). Lola has tolerated chemo well and has been in clinical remission since the 3rd week of treatment. However, today during consultation after her vincristine treatment I was told that her lymphnodes under her jaw were slightly enlarged compared to other weeks. They weren't large enough for the oncologist to perform an aspiration, but this news was still worrisome to me. If the nodes weren't large enough to warrant an aspiration, should I worry? Is it normal for the lymphnodes to be slightly enlarged for any reason other than cancer? I know she is getting the best possible care because I drive her all the way to Texas A&M small animal clinic from houston. I just don't see how she could have been responding so well to the CHOP protocol so well for the first 16 of the 19 week protocol, to now have issues. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Oh I am sorry to hear about Lola.

There are other possible reasons for lymph node enlargement that don't involve cancer. For example, an infection can cause a lymph node to be enlarged. A systemic infection that affects the whole body could cause more than one lymph node to be enlarged. However, as she has a history of having lymphoma, the most likely culprit for lymph nodes to be enlarged is indeed cancer.

Now, if the oncologist says that they have trouble aspirating the lymph node, then there can't be too much enlargement. Sometimes deciding on whether or not lymph node is enlarged can be very subjective. I have had cases where one that felt that there was lymph node enlargement and another vet didn't. So, it is possible that there is nothing new going on.

At this point, unfortunately, all we can do is wait and see what happens. On her next visit, I'm sure the vet will have another feel and see if the nodes are enlarging even more. If so, they will likely aspirate to see if there is cancer there. You're right that Lola is getting the best of care. Trust your vets and the advice that they give.

I hope that things work out okay. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (7461 views)

Puppy not eating. Hello my 7 month old pup just recently started to eat less. This just started 2... (22347 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (6985 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (27262 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (25385 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (5312 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (26610 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (14917 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (8407 views)

Pug died suddenly. My 8 year old female pug just died. My husband came home from work and she had... (24657 views)