Dog has lump on top of head.

Breed: Great Dane
My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a breeder when he was 3 months old. He has never really had any physical/medical problems that we know of. When I woke up on Sat. (almost a week ago now) morning and went to take him outside I noticed that he had a large lump (about the size of a baseball) right on top of his head between his ears. I thought maybe he had hit his head on something, but my husband and I could not remember him hitting his head at all the night before. It just appeared over night. Also, it is not a hard lump it's almost like it's filled with jelly, but now the core of it seems like it might be getting harder. It doesn't seem to bother him at all or be painful. We figured that it would go away or at least start to get smaller after a few days but it hasn't seemed to get any better. We can't really afford to take him into the vet right now if we don't have to, so is there anything we can do or do you think it will go away on it's own? What do you think this lump could be?

This is definitely not a normal problem!

The most common reason for a lump to appear on the top of a dog's head is an abscess. An abscess is usually there because of some type of wound that had gotten infected. If it is an abscess it may not go away on its own. It might need antibiotics prescribed by your vet. Or, it may even need surgery.

It is also possible that this is a big bruise or something called a seroma. A seroma is a collection of fluid under the skin. This would be there because of him bumping his head on something. If this is the cause then it should go away within a week.

There are other types of tumors or growths that can appear on the top of the head but it would be unusual for one to come up all of a sudden like this.

I hope things are better soon!

Sudden bulldog death. Hello Dr. Marie, I own a boarding kennel and have for fifteen years. We pride... (31935 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (61030 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (11805 views)

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (22435 views)

Cat is very quiet. My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor... (25033 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (8627 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (20216 views)

Remove baby teeth with spay? Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get... (12131 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (16133 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (18026 views)