Dog has lump on top of head.

Breed: Great Dane
My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a breeder when he was 3 months old. He has never really had any physical/medical problems that we know of. When I woke up on Sat. (almost a week ago now) morning and went to take him outside I noticed that he had a large lump (about the size of a baseball) right on top of his head between his ears. I thought maybe he had hit his head on something, but my husband and I could not remember him hitting his head at all the night before. It just appeared over night. Also, it is not a hard lump it's almost like it's filled with jelly, but now the core of it seems like it might be getting harder. It doesn't seem to bother him at all or be painful. We figured that it would go away or at least start to get smaller after a few days but it hasn't seemed to get any better. We can't really afford to take him into the vet right now if we don't have to, so is there anything we can do or do you think it will go away on it's own? What do you think this lump could be?

This is definitely not a normal problem!

The most common reason for a lump to appear on the top of a dog's head is an abscess. An abscess is usually there because of some type of wound that had gotten infected. If it is an abscess it may not go away on its own. It might need antibiotics prescribed by your vet. Or, it may even need surgery.

It is also possible that this is a big bruise or something called a seroma. A seroma is a collection of fluid under the skin. This would be there because of him bumping his head on something. If this is the cause then it should go away within a week.

There are other types of tumors or growths that can appear on the top of the head but it would be unusual for one to come up all of a sudden like this.

I hope things are better soon!

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (8693 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (7240 views)

Submissive urination. I adopted this dog on Thursday. I took him to the vets on Friday and he was checked... (9162 views)

Brown spots on puppy's belly. Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area... (32056 views)

Puppy with crystals. our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no... (8415 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (13469 views)

Cat with bald belly. Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia)... (9184 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (8432 views)

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (7337 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (11611 views)