Dog has lump on top of head.

Breed: Great Dane
My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a breeder when he was 3 months old. He has never really had any physical/medical problems that we know of. When I woke up on Sat. (almost a week ago now) morning and went to take him outside I noticed that he had a large lump (about the size of a baseball) right on top of his head between his ears. I thought maybe he had hit his head on something, but my husband and I could not remember him hitting his head at all the night before. It just appeared over night. Also, it is not a hard lump it's almost like it's filled with jelly, but now the core of it seems like it might be getting harder. It doesn't seem to bother him at all or be painful. We figured that it would go away or at least start to get smaller after a few days but it hasn't seemed to get any better. We can't really afford to take him into the vet right now if we don't have to, so is there anything we can do or do you think it will go away on it's own? What do you think this lump could be?

This is definitely not a normal problem!

The most common reason for a lump to appear on the top of a dog's head is an abscess. An abscess is usually there because of some type of wound that had gotten infected. If it is an abscess it may not go away on its own. It might need antibiotics prescribed by your vet. Or, it may even need surgery.

It is also possible that this is a big bruise or something called a seroma. A seroma is a collection of fluid under the skin. This would be there because of him bumping his head on something. If this is the cause then it should go away within a week.

There are other types of tumors or growths that can appear on the top of the head but it would be unusual for one to come up all of a sudden like this.

I hope things are better soon!

Why did my cat die? Hello, The other day, our cat Misty (she would have been 16-years-old next month)... (9635 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (6557 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (6510 views)

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (10191 views)

MRI for trouble standing? My dog Odie is paralyzed on the right side. No symptoms, no warnings, one night we... (8524 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (14736 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (17600 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (4389 views)

Spay older dog? Hi Vet My dog is 9 years old & has never been mated. She is healthy & does not have... (7622 views)

Puppy has soft stools. Background: Junior is a rescue. My first dog ever. I got him about 1 month ago,... (4805 views)