Dog has lump on top of head.

Breed: Great Dane
My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a breeder when he was 3 months old. He has never really had any physical/medical problems that we know of. When I woke up on Sat. (almost a week ago now) morning and went to take him outside I noticed that he had a large lump (about the size of a baseball) right on top of his head between his ears. I thought maybe he had hit his head on something, but my husband and I could not remember him hitting his head at all the night before. It just appeared over night. Also, it is not a hard lump it's almost like it's filled with jelly, but now the core of it seems like it might be getting harder. It doesn't seem to bother him at all or be painful. We figured that it would go away or at least start to get smaller after a few days but it hasn't seemed to get any better. We can't really afford to take him into the vet right now if we don't have to, so is there anything we can do or do you think it will go away on it's own? What do you think this lump could be?

This is definitely not a normal problem!

The most common reason for a lump to appear on the top of a dog's head is an abscess. An abscess is usually there because of some type of wound that had gotten infected. If it is an abscess it may not go away on its own. It might need antibiotics prescribed by your vet. Or, it may even need surgery.

It is also possible that this is a big bruise or something called a seroma. A seroma is a collection of fluid under the skin. This would be there because of him bumping his head on something. If this is the cause then it should go away within a week.

There are other types of tumors or growths that can appear on the top of the head but it would be unusual for one to come up all of a sudden like this.

I hope things are better soon!

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (17824 views)

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (10361 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (9507 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6375 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (9164 views)

Hartz and Advantage. I gave my cat Hartz one spot flea treatment and it doesnt work grrrr, i gave it on... (9579 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (15182 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (15003 views)

Infection in neuter incision? My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the... (54915 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (23332 views)