Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog unable to move.

Species: Dog
Breed: 3/4 Papillion 1/4 po
Age: Less than 3 mon
d help. My dog won't move at all. We got home around 435 this afternoon and she ate her dinner and had some water. Around 5 my husband and I were eating dinner and she jumped off of the couch. She was sleeping straight after that and hadn't moved from that spot for nearly 2 hours. I woke her up to take her outside but she won't move. It's like she can't put any pressure on her legs, they have hardly changed positon in nearly 2.5 hours. She'll lift her head and open her eyes from time to time, but she just puts her head back down almost right away. We just found a pile of vomit by where she has been laying for the past 3 hours. She hasn't been outside since about 415, and I don't remember her eating anything but her food.

Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I am so sorry that I didn't respond to you last night. I forgot to turn my online status off when I went to bed. I'm going to do my best to answer your question and I will fully refund you for your payment.

I'm very concerned by what you have described with Lucy. While there are several possibilities for what is going on, it sounds like she is going to need to see a vet as soon as possible.

It's possible that she has injured her neck. A disc problem in the neck can cause paralysis of her legs. Some dogs with this problem will recover if given steroid medication and some need surgery.

It is possible that she is extremely weak from some sort of underlying organ problem. If this were the case though she should have had some symptoms of not feeling well prior to this.

Some young dogs can have a problem where the thymus (an organ in the chest) suddenly ruptures and causes internal bleeding. This could cause extreme weakness because of the blood loss.

Hopefully you are able to get her in to see a vet right away.

I feel awful that I was not able to help you last night. Feel free to respond to the question today and I will respond as soon as possible.

Dr. Marie.

Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?

Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

Good Morning,

I understand how that can happen, thank you for refuding the payment, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately I don't get paid until tomorrow but I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow afternoon, so we did as much research as we could last night. My mom came over about half an hour after I sent you the question and Lucy tried to get up when she heard my moms voice. She twitched and flipped until she managed to "sit up" but she was still really weak and wobbled a lot. It was almost as if she was really dizzy.

Yesterday was really hot here so my mom did some research into heatstroke on a whim. We tried cooling her down by putting cold washclothes around her head and keeping her paws cool with water. This seemed to get her up and moving a little bit more, and she wanted to go outside. We took her out and she was running around a little bit and went pee on her own. We decided to try that throughout the rest of the night. She slept in front of the fan and every few hours we would wake her up, cool her off and take her outside. This seemed to have worked as this morning she is back to running around, playing with our cat and eating and drinking.

Thank you for your kindness in refunding the payment and for your response.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Very interesting. Dogs usually have to get quite hot to have heatstroke. It would be unusual to happen inside of your house, but not impossible.

I'm wondering if she possibly had a seizure. Dogs can be very "out of it" after having a seizure and this can last for many hours. If the problem happens again then it's worth asking your vet if seizures are possible. If she is a young dog then I would be concerned about a liver problem called a hepatic shunt that could be causing seizures.

For now though, if she's bright and happy then there's no need to rush her in to the vet.

I hope things continue to be ok! Thanks again for understanding about my online status.

Dr. Marie

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (29468 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (10416 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (12623 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (11422 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (111569 views)

Metronidazole side effects? My Dog had a surgery Dec 9. The Doctor removed a tumor from his small intestine. He... (17488 views)

Older cat coughing. My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still... (20333 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (17600 views)

Cat meows constantly. Hello- Our 8 year old male cat meows constantly, and he does things like dribble... (12362 views)

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (159262 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.