What foods to give cats?

Breed: DSH
Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum left out dry food all day as well as wet food morning and night. I prefer to feed wet food morning and night with no dry food. How much should I be feeding them or does this depend on their weight? Bernie is a little bit overweight. I am in Canada and may not have the food that the U.S. has.

Thanks.

Thanks for a great question!

You will likely get a different answer to this question depending on who you ask, but I'll give you my opinion on foods.

I usually like to feed a mixture of wet and dry food. What I do with my cats is leave dry out all day and give them wet in the morning. (However, some overweight cats can't do this because they pig out all day on the dry food - In this case you would measure out dry food morning and night.) The dry food will help with their teeth and the wet food will help get fluid through their kidneys (as most cats don't drink enough).

As far as brands go, I am a fan of Royal Canin, Iams and Science diet. I do not tend to like most of the holistic or organic foods out there. While some of them may be good, I have seen far too many animals with digestive issues when on these foods.

The amount you feed them depends on their weight and which food you choose. All of the foods mentioned above will have a guide on the food that tells you how much to feed according to the cat's weight. I usually find that this guide is a little on the high side, so stick to the low end of what is recommended. Make sure you use a measuring cup to measure the food out rather than guestimating.

After a few months of feeding one of these foods if Bernie is gaining weight then you may need to go to a light formulation. Most good foods will have a low-cal or light formulation you can use.

I hope all goes well with your new cats!

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (5909 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (8857 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (5069 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (43648 views)

Not using litter box. For the past several months she has decided to stop using the litter box to poop in.... (10747 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (5712 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (4499 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (75766 views)

Bump on roof of mouth. Hi I'm almost certain this is nothing. But I have an 8 week old golden male. I've... (33062 views)

Licking at private parts. I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food... (11091 views)