What foods to give cats?

Breed: DSH
Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum left out dry food all day as well as wet food morning and night. I prefer to feed wet food morning and night with no dry food. How much should I be feeding them or does this depend on their weight? Bernie is a little bit overweight. I am in Canada and may not have the food that the U.S. has.

Thanks.

Thanks for a great question!

You will likely get a different answer to this question depending on who you ask, but I'll give you my opinion on foods.

I usually like to feed a mixture of wet and dry food. What I do with my cats is leave dry out all day and give them wet in the morning. (However, some overweight cats can't do this because they pig out all day on the dry food - In this case you would measure out dry food morning and night.) The dry food will help with their teeth and the wet food will help get fluid through their kidneys (as most cats don't drink enough).

As far as brands go, I am a fan of Royal Canin, Iams and Science diet. I do not tend to like most of the holistic or organic foods out there. While some of them may be good, I have seen far too many animals with digestive issues when on these foods.

The amount you feed them depends on their weight and which food you choose. All of the foods mentioned above will have a guide on the food that tells you how much to feed according to the cat's weight. I usually find that this guide is a little on the high side, so stick to the low end of what is recommended. Make sure you use a measuring cup to measure the food out rather than guestimating.

After a few months of feeding one of these foods if Bernie is gaining weight then you may need to go to a light formulation. Most good foods will have a low-cal or light formulation you can use.

I hope all goes well with your new cats!

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (15034 views)

Swollen lab. Hi, my name is Ron Lamoureux. One month ago I noticed that my 2 yr old Lab... (10176 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (32691 views)

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (5382 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (17832 views)

Dog died after injections. Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night.... (6626 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (9189 views)

Dog having seizures. Hi Dr. Marie, My regular vet left to go on holiday today and after calling the... (16268 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (10470 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (178992 views)