What foods to give cats?

Breed: DSH
Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum left out dry food all day as well as wet food morning and night. I prefer to feed wet food morning and night with no dry food. How much should I be feeding them or does this depend on their weight? Bernie is a little bit overweight. I am in Canada and may not have the food that the U.S. has.

Thanks.

Thanks for a great question!

You will likely get a different answer to this question depending on who you ask, but I'll give you my opinion on foods.

I usually like to feed a mixture of wet and dry food. What I do with my cats is leave dry out all day and give them wet in the morning. (However, some overweight cats can't do this because they pig out all day on the dry food - In this case you would measure out dry food morning and night.) The dry food will help with their teeth and the wet food will help get fluid through their kidneys (as most cats don't drink enough).

As far as brands go, I am a fan of Royal Canin, Iams and Science diet. I do not tend to like most of the holistic or organic foods out there. While some of them may be good, I have seen far too many animals with digestive issues when on these foods.

The amount you feed them depends on their weight and which food you choose. All of the foods mentioned above will have a guide on the food that tells you how much to feed according to the cat's weight. I usually find that this guide is a little on the high side, so stick to the low end of what is recommended. Make sure you use a measuring cup to measure the food out rather than guestimating.

After a few months of feeding one of these foods if Bernie is gaining weight then you may need to go to a light formulation. Most good foods will have a low-cal or light formulation you can use.

I hope all goes well with your new cats!

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (16070 views)

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (12826 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (47881 views)

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (21963 views)

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (10068 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (21757 views)

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (23446 views)

Superglue for dog's wound. He had a cut on his leg from broken glass fairly deep but not long, nor puncture. I... (28769 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (61830 views)

Dog shedding like crazy. my dog is shedding like crazy year round what should i do? ... (13488 views)