What foods to give cats?

Breed: DSH
Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum left out dry food all day as well as wet food morning and night. I prefer to feed wet food morning and night with no dry food. How much should I be feeding them or does this depend on their weight? Bernie is a little bit overweight. I am in Canada and may not have the food that the U.S. has.

Thanks.

Thanks for a great question!

You will likely get a different answer to this question depending on who you ask, but I'll give you my opinion on foods.

I usually like to feed a mixture of wet and dry food. What I do with my cats is leave dry out all day and give them wet in the morning. (However, some overweight cats can't do this because they pig out all day on the dry food - In this case you would measure out dry food morning and night.) The dry food will help with their teeth and the wet food will help get fluid through their kidneys (as most cats don't drink enough).

As far as brands go, I am a fan of Royal Canin, Iams and Science diet. I do not tend to like most of the holistic or organic foods out there. While some of them may be good, I have seen far too many animals with digestive issues when on these foods.

The amount you feed them depends on their weight and which food you choose. All of the foods mentioned above will have a guide on the food that tells you how much to feed according to the cat's weight. I usually find that this guide is a little on the high side, so stick to the low end of what is recommended. Make sure you use a measuring cup to measure the food out rather than guestimating.

After a few months of feeding one of these foods if Bernie is gaining weight then you may need to go to a light formulation. Most good foods will have a low-cal or light formulation you can use.

I hope all goes well with your new cats!

Lentigo? My cat has weird dark spots on the bald part in front of the ear canal. They look... (11783 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (22817 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (16241 views)

Black spot on tongue. Hi, I have an 10 year old mutt, and she's never eaten dog food, for 10 years I've... (9422 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (65204 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (10933 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (16361 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (10966 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (9917 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (8564 views)