Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Foot problem and congestion.

Species: Dog
Breed: rottweiler /pitbull
Age: 8-11 years
My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has lost his appetite. he is drinking water and eating a little bit. He is a little cogested now he has a runny nose. Is this normal ? its been 6 days now.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Sorry to hear that Max is not feeling well. What you are describing does not sound like it is related to the cephalexin.

There are some animals that go off of their food because of cephalexin. However this usually happens within the first few days of starting the medicine and stops when they go off of the medicine.

Is Max up to date on his vaccinations? If not, you may want to ask your vet about the possibility of distemper. Distemper can cause lesions on the bottom of the pads of the foot as well as respiratory symptoms. Distemper is a very serious disease and is unfortunately often fatal.

It is also possible that there is something else going on such as a kennel cough infection. (Perhaps he picked it up at the vet's office the first time?)

It looks like a trip back to the vet is in order.

I hope everything is ok!

Dr. Marie.


---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (10412 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (16669 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (11460 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (12222 views)

What does rat poison look like? I live in a town right outside of Boston, MA. We recently got a lot of snow, so they... (19141 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (19841 views)

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (8609 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (9799 views)

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (9906 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (11381 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.