Foot problem and congestion.

Breed: rottweiler /pitbull
My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has lost his appetite. he is drinking water and eating a little bit. He is a little cogested now he has a runny nose. Is this normal ? its been 6 days now.

Sorry to hear that Max is not feeling well. What you are describing does not sound like it is related to the cephalexin.

There are some animals that go off of their food because of cephalexin. However this usually happens within the first few days of starting the medicine and stops when they go off of the medicine.

Is Max up to date on his vaccinations? If not, you may want to ask your vet about the possibility of distemper. Distemper can cause lesions on the bottom of the pads of the foot as well as respiratory symptoms. Distemper is a very serious disease and is unfortunately often fatal.

It is also possible that there is something else going on such as a kennel cough infection. (Perhaps he picked it up at the vet's office the first time?)

It looks like a trip back to the vet is in order.

Pregnant 10 month old dog. my mini doberman is 10 months and shes pregnant can she die? and how many dogs can... (12593 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (31755 views)

Tramadol and SAMe Hello Dr. Marie! I feel like Oreo and I have become somewhat of a regular here on... (13574 views)

Swollen face after fight. My miniature pinscher was attacked by a boxer a few days ago. Her wounds have... (11949 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (19284 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (8526 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (10900 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (7852 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (20921 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (6757 views)