Foot problem and congestion.

Breed: rottweiler /pitbull
My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has lost his appetite. he is drinking water and eating a little bit. He is a little cogested now he has a runny nose. Is this normal ? its been 6 days now.

Sorry to hear that Max is not feeling well. What you are describing does not sound like it is related to the cephalexin.

There are some animals that go off of their food because of cephalexin. However this usually happens within the first few days of starting the medicine and stops when they go off of the medicine.

Is Max up to date on his vaccinations? If not, you may want to ask your vet about the possibility of distemper. Distemper can cause lesions on the bottom of the pads of the foot as well as respiratory symptoms. Distemper is a very serious disease and is unfortunately often fatal.

It is also possible that there is something else going on such as a kennel cough infection. (Perhaps he picked it up at the vet's office the first time?)

It looks like a trip back to the vet is in order.

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (9160 views)

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (23381 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (10862 views)

Not eating, panting. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group.... (13791 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (30743 views)

Large mammary glands. Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in... (9979 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (30928 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (7917 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (7574 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (23243 views)