Foot problem and congestion.

Breed: rottweiler /pitbull
My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has lost his appetite. he is drinking water and eating a little bit. He is a little cogested now he has a runny nose. Is this normal ? its been 6 days now.

Sorry to hear that Max is not feeling well. What you are describing does not sound like it is related to the cephalexin.

There are some animals that go off of their food because of cephalexin. However this usually happens within the first few days of starting the medicine and stops when they go off of the medicine.

Is Max up to date on his vaccinations? If not, you may want to ask your vet about the possibility of distemper. Distemper can cause lesions on the bottom of the pads of the foot as well as respiratory symptoms. Distemper is a very serious disease and is unfortunately often fatal.

It is also possible that there is something else going on such as a kennel cough infection. (Perhaps he picked it up at the vet's office the first time?)

It looks like a trip back to the vet is in order.

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (14104 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (8207 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (41126 views)

Lump where umbilicus was. Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the... (21019 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (20385 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (21042 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (10986 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (18253 views)

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (12937 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (11290 views)