Sick, limping puppy.

Breed: Yorkie
Good Evening

I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be visiting the island I live on till Tuesday. So I need your advice as to what to do until then.

I have two yorkie pups the one sick, Sparkles, is also somewhat less social and depressed. He got very sick when i first got him he had bad worms which the vet treated. Gardenia and something with a c. They will not eat dry food or wet food. So i feed both of them cooked chicked and vitamins. sometimes raw meat becuase when the one had worms it was all i could force down his throat with some sryup until the doctor reached.

The problem now:
Anyways now the probelms is I came home thursday night to meet sparkles not puting any pressure on his back leg. The maid was at my house during the day so i had blocked off the room with a board. I am wondering if that board fell on him. the cleaner did not mention anything to me though.

So he ate his normal chicken and went to sleep. Its now 48 hours and there is no improvement he is very lethargic just sleeping all day. drinking some water. he ate this morning he does not want anything tonight. HE IS SKIN AND BONES!! I can feel everything. His brother is nice and solid. I felt all his bones and organs. he does not yelp or cry. just wants to lay down a Sleep.

What can i do until the doctor reaches? And what are the possbilties that could be wrong with him. I keep reading about lyme desease but i dont think the ticks here in the virgin ISlands carry this. I could be wrong and i have not seen a tick or flea on them.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that little Sparkles is not doing well.

It sounds like the two parasites that he had were Giardia and Coccidia. These can make a dog very very sick with vomiting, diarrhea and weight loss. However they shouldn't cause limping.

It's hard to say why he is limping. It's certainly possible that he has sustained an injury. But this shouldn't make him so lethargic.

I'm really worried that there is something very serious going on. When I see puppies like this that have multiple problems and don't gain weight like their siblings then I get worried that they may have been born with a serious problem such as a heart condition or possibly a liver problem called a hepatic shunt. Unfortunately if this is the case then there is not a whole lot that we can do.

Lyme disease is really not common in such a young puppy. The animal would have to receive a tick bite and then it takes 4-6 weeks for symptoms to develop. The symptoms are usually muscle pain and lethargy that comes and goes. To me, it sounds like this is more of a sudden thing.

Some kind of infection on Sparkles' foot or leg could cause limping and lethargy. If there is an infection then the sooner he gets antibiotics the better.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication for pain that I would consider safe to use for him. These medicines are all processed through the liver and kidneys and we don't know if those organs are healthy.

Is there any way you can get him off of the island to see a vet? His best chance of survival is to have him seen as soon as possible.

Until then, I would try to encourage him to eat. (Perhaps you could make a broth from some canned food?) You can also offer him some unsweetened pedialyte (which is something you can get at the pharmacy that helps children fight dehydration.) If he tolerates it, you can try putting an ice pack over the joints of his sore leg. This might help somewhat with the pain.

I really hope he pulls through!

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (14316 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (33131 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (7788 views)

Dog scared of people. Hi My dog is very scared of people. she is a year old and has been scared of new... (13023 views)

Dog not eating i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the... (27597 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (12654 views)

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (28640 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (15830 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (18341 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (10674 views)